Utah elk Hunt

D

Daedium

I went Elk hunting in the North Uinta's with a family friend and a few other people. The odds of getting an Elk are disgusting. i was told that It was a waste of time, But I figured that since it was my first Elk hunt that it wasn't so bad. Opening day we park the truck bright and early (you all know how it is)and we started walking up this meadow. I split off from the others and went off to the left on my own... Well the funny thing is that I had walked about 300yds. Was lost, decided to get on my radio to call out for a little direction change (since on of the guys had GPS on all of us, hoping that he could tell me which way to go.) I knelt down grabbed my radio and heard a noise....

There ran a cow, and right behind her this spike.... She stopped to take a pee or something (mind you it is snowing) he runs right in behind her right between 2 quakey's (I'm 15yds away and shooting a 7mm stw) I pull up my rifle and take the shot... My heart dropped. I hear a loud crash and than another loud crash. And there he laid 10yds from where I shot him.

The second loud crash was the Elk uprooting the tree it is resting on in the pics.

I shot my first elk.. there is one thing that could have made it perfect... If my father had been there..

473e75d245d92b1f.jpg

473e75fd4903db60.jpg

473e761d4a5b7ced.jpg

I should probably add that it was only 15 minutes into opening morning.... And I was the 2nd shot... I found out later that the first shot we heard just minutes before mine was someone who took a shot at this same elk as it ran passed him... Funny huh~

That is a great spike. I wish My first elk hunt this year was as successfull as yours. You had some really good luck and the general elk hunt.

Very cool. Congrats.

Don't think I have ever seen a elk with velvet this late in the year. This was on the general elk huht right.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

>Very cool. Congrats.
>
>Don't think I have ever seen
>a elk with velvet this
>late in the year.
>This was on the general
>elk huht right.
>
>DeadI/Jared
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/46e8aeb1660028c5.gif
>

Yes it was opening day back in early october. it was any bull unit I do believe.

i have some buddies that have hunted those dreadful uintahs for over 5 years and have yet to see more than a handful of elk and have never connected.

the only eagle with enough power and speed to kill and gut you with one shot

I don't know if alot of people really understand how bad this hunt was... It has an 8% chance for success. I would have to say luck is definitely a big part of this hunt. And another note about this hunt is that its also opening day for deer in this same area so you have alot of movement scaring all the animals...

Great Job~

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom