Over the counter archery "hunters choice" elk tag

Freedom

Hello all, my question is can you use this tag (over the counter archery elk "hunters choice") on a LE elk unit to harvest a cow elk. There's limited information about this particular tag and I've heard conflicting opinions on it. I've even called the DWR offices and got two different answers?

Last edited:
I'd Wanna Say No!

But After Seeing It Happening In LE Units Last Year I Don't Know?

Also Seen Spike Hunters Doing It Last Year!

R657-5-28. General Archery Elk Hunt.​

(1) The dates of the general archery elk hunt are provided in the guidebooks of the Wildlife Board for taking big game.

(2)(a) A person who has obtained a general archery elk permit may use archery equipment to take:

(i) an antlerless elk or a bull elk on a general any bull elk unit, excluding elk cooperative wildlife management units;

(ii) an antlerless elk or a spike bull elk on a general spike bull elk unit, excluding elk cooperative wildlife management units;

(iii) an antlerless elk or a bull elk on extended archery areas as provided in the guidebook of the Wildlife Board for taking big game.

(3)(a) A person who obtains a general archery elk permit may hunt within the extended archery areas during the extended archery area seasons as provided in the guidebook of the Wildlife Board for taking big game and as provided in Subsection (b).

(b)(i) A person must complete the Archery Ethics Course annually to hunt the extended archery areas during the extended archery season.

(ii) A person must possess an Archery Ethics Course Certificate of Completion on their person while hunting.

(4) A person who has obtained an archery elk permit may not hunt during any other elk hunt or obtain any other elk permit, except as provided in Subsection R657-5-33(3) and by the guidebooks of the Wildlife Board for taking big game.

(ii) an antlerless elk or a spike bull elk on a general spike bull elk unit, excluding elk cooperative wildlife management units;

The LE Any Bull areas are also the spike only general areas in most cases.

You can NOT shoot a cow on the Book cliffs with an archery OTC spike only tag (unless they have amended this rule for 2024)

IMG_0874.jpeg

Silentstalker, I think you are referencing the 2023 Guide book. 2024 hasn't hit the web site yet.

The code I posted is valid for 2024.

Last edited:
Here's The Part That Don't Make Sense!

They've Been Letting Spike Elk Hunters Hunt The Same Season/Time As LE Archery Elk Hunters That Took Umpteen Years To Finally Pull Their Tag!

JFP!

Yes such a travesty for sure! So now the LE archers get a few days while the LE Early guys flood the area scouting. Never mind everyone else.
Tough as hell to share the mountain.

I'd Wanna Say No!

But After Seeing It Happening In LE Units Last Year I Don't Know?

Also Seen Spike Hunters Doing It Last Year!
There has always been designated LE Units that you could hunt spikes and/or cows on the archery hunt and there has always been LE units you could not hunt spikes and/or cows on tge archery hunt.
READ THE PROCLAMATION.

I Don't Need To Read The F'N Utah Bible!

You Comprehend That?

There has always been designated LE Units that you could hunt spikes and/or cows on the archery hunt and there has always been LE units you could not hunt spikes and/or cows on tge archery hunt.
READ THE PROCLAMATION.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom