ISO Elk guide/outfitter

Canyoncountry

Hello all, my dad and I are non residents from Arizona and have 15 elk points now for Utah. We are DIY type hunters, but after waiting this long and it may be the only elk tag we both ever get, I am looking for any recommendations for a guide/outfitter. I would like to draw a tag in the next couple of years if possible and looking for Muzzleloader or any rifle hunts that will be the best option with our points so I would like to strategize which hunts we should target. Please message me and I look forward to getting to know more!! Thanks!

I believe these are your three options:

Rifle Cache, North
2nd Rifle Cache, North
2nd Rifle S Slope, Diamond Mountain

With point creep you are five to ten years from adding anything much better. Point creep will accelerate significantly as the 'bubble' of non-resident point holders at 15 moves through the system.

If you mean you will have 15 points in the 2025 application cycle you are even farther behind, there are simply too many other applicants in front of you from when they started to allow non-residents to apply for all species.

If you want to look at archery, Wasatch archery is an option for you.

Take my assessment for what it is worth, you are ten+ years from drawing some of the low to mid quality LE elk tags. The line in front of you is very long.

Maybe look at an option for you dad short term and you keep building points? Good luck.

Thank you for the information Iowan. Those are some of the hunts I was looking at, but would like to get some information on units like the Cache and Diamond mountain. I was seeing maybe the La Sal might be a possible draw, but dont know how that compares to the others. We are looking for a fun hunt with hopefully not crazy expectations. We all want to kill giants, but 320 plus bulls would be around our expectations unless those expectations are too high on units like that.

Manti lasal, fishlake/thousand lake, and south west desert would be my personal picks for muzzleloader or rifle with your point range even then maybe out a couple years. 310-340 bulls are realistic on these units. Breaking 340 this day and age seams to be getting tougher but there are the ones that get through the cracks that show up every year. Not a lot of options for drawing for non res in the next couple years especially for the top end units with some real quality bulls.

1716426033398.png

Actually no I don't. Inches management is the disaster.
I know it's hard to understand but the vast majority of bulls will never get bigger than roughly 320. Doesn't matter if you shoot them or not.

Manage Them For 5.5-6 Year Olds & You'll Never Know!

I know it's hard to understand but the vast majority of bulls will never get bigger than roughly 320. Doesn't matter if you shoot them or not.

Your right, I’ll use an example of the pahvant in its glory days. The unit genetically had some quality complete bulls. Until it got hit hard by a certain outfitter not to name names killed a lot of the top end for several years. In the end I believe wiped out the quality. The unit hasn’t been the same since. Still has close to the same permit #s but still not growing the record book bulls it once was. Don’t get me wrong there still are some good bulls on the unit but not the numbers of genetic quality complete bulls. It takes genetics and age.

I Won't Argue with Most Of What You Said But:

I Don't Know About Pahvant?

But In Most LE Units They Have Issued More Tags!

They Have Added More Hunts!

They Have Pounded The Spikes!

They Have Pounded The Cows!

They've Turned Them In to $$$!

And Yes!

It Takes Genetics & Age!

The OPPOR-F'N-TUNISTS Hate That!

Your right, I’ll use an example of the pahvant in its glory days. The unit genetically had some quality complete bulls. Until it got hit hard by a certain outfitter not to name names killed a lot of the top end for several years. In the end I believe wiped out the quality. The unit hasn’t been the same since. Still has close to the same permit #s but still not growing the record book bulls it once was. Don’t get me wrong there still are some good bulls on the unit but not the numbers of genetic quality complete bulls. It takes genetics and age.

I Won't Argue with Most Of What You Said But:

I Don't Know About Pahvant?

But In Most LE Units They Have Issued More Tags!

They Have Added More Hunts!

They Have Pounded The Spikes!

They Have Pounded The Cows!

They've Turned Them In to $$$!

And Yes!

It Takes Genetics & Age!

The OPPOR-F'N-TUNISTS Hate That!
I agree man there are a lot of determining factors from unit to unit and yea if we only manage for 5 year olds we will never know. We are turning into Colorado even they have some better bulls it sucks! We have gone from one of the best states in the west for great bulls to a complete sh$; show!

Manti lasal, fishlake/thousand lake, and south west desert would be my personal picks for muzzleloader or rifle with your point range even then maybe out a couple years. 310-340 bulls are realistic on these units. Breaking 340 this day and age seams to be getting tougher but there are the ones that get through the cracks that show up every year. Not a lot of options for drawing for non res in the next couple years especially for the top end units with some real quality bulls.
I think they’re about 20-25 years out on those picks. If I were sitting on low teens right now I’d burn them as fast as I could before the other 5000-10000 guys with similar realize they’re chasing a pipe dream and decide to burn theirs. That’s when things go through the roof.

Like I've Said A Billion Times:

This State Will Grow Big Bucks & Bulls Just About Statewide!

WHEN MANAGED PROPERLY!

Hello all, my dad and I are non residents from Arizona and have 15 elk points now for Utah. We are DIY type hunters, but after waiting this long and it may be the only elk tag we both ever get, I am looking for any recommendations for a guide/outfitter. I would like to draw a tag in the next couple of years if possible and looking for Muzzleloader or any rifle hunts that will be the best option with our points so I would like to strategize which hunts we should target. Please message me and I look forward to getting to know more!! Thanks!
Mid season Wasatch is within reach for you guys. I know a pretty decent outfitter 😂
IMG_0643.jpeg

Right Out Of The OPPOR-F'N-TUNISTS Mouth Right There!

So BEAVIS?

What Brings In More Money For You?

A SUB-320" Bull?

Or a 350"+ Bull?

You just Can't Give Em An Extra Year Or Two Like We Used To Can You?

Big bucks and bulls ain’t the goal. For the billionth time

Right Out Of The OPPOR-F'N-TUNISTS Mouth Right There!

So BEAVIS?

What Brings In More Money For You?

A SUB-320" Bull?

Or a 350"+ Bull?

You just Can't Give Em An Extra Year Or Two Like We Used To Can You?
I'll ask again. will you please post a pic of your San Juan bull and show us all what 20 years of waiting can produce. Please and Thank you

Please Pay Attention!

I've Already Posted That I Will HOPEFULLY Be Mentoring A Couple Of My Grand-Kids If I Live Long Enough,I Doubt I'll Live Long Enough To Do That But It's Gonna Be The Only Chance They Have At A Tag Or Two!

I've Still Got About 40 Points!

My Grand-Kids Will Be Down About 35 to 38 Points Starting In,Do You Think That Will Excite Them?

I'll ask again. will you please post a pic of your San Juan bull and show us all what 20 years of waiting can produce. Please and Thank you

I think they’re about 20-25 years out on those picks. If I were sitting on low teens right now I’d burn them as fast as I could before the other 5000-10000 guys with similar realize they’re chasing a pipe dream and decide to burn theirs. That’s when things go through the roof
I see. Didn’t realize they were that high for non resident where 2 of the units have risen so much in tag allocation in the last few years. Where canyon country mentioned 320+ would be his realistic expectation. Them were units I was thinking to give some helpful info were on the bottom end of points and doable for his expectations and a possibility to draw even if it was waiting a little longer. But yea still not a lot to choose from even for a resident sitting on 15 points.

Not Being Rude!

But I Don't Know That Waiting Is The Answer?

If It Was A Guarantee I'd Say Wait!

Best Of Luck No Matter What You Guys Decide!

I see. Didn’t realize they were that high for non resident where 2 of the units have risen so much in tag allocation in the last few years. Where canyon country mentioned 320+ would be his realistic expectation. Them were units I was thinking to give some helpful info were on the bottom end of points and doable for his expectations and a possibility to draw even if it was waiting a little longer. But yea still not a lot to choose from even for a resident sitting on 15 points.

Please Pay Attention!

I've Already Posted That I Will HOPEFULLY Be Mentoring A Couple Of My Grand-Kids If I Live Long Enough,I Doubt I'll Live Long Enough To Do That But It's Gonna Be The Only Chance They Have At A Tag Or Two!

I've Still Got About 40 Points!

My Grand-Kids Will Be Down About 35 to 38 Points Starting In,Do You Think That Will Excite Them?
Well I guess continue to keep BAWLING, that will for sure excited them

Thanks guys for your replies here. Like many other hunts in the West, it is just the reality that it will take 20 plus years to draw some hunts and that's if you ever draw them with point creep. I have hunted the fishlake area for muzzleloader deer a few years ago, that is the only hunt I have had in Utah. I was curious about the middle rifle hunt on the Wasatch, but of course know nothing about it. That's why I am inquiring about an outfitter in case someone has a fun hunt to offer on one of these more "mid to lower" quality type hunts. Thanks again!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom