Pacific Crest Trail

Burney to I-5: This 90-mile section of trail took me through the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. When I left Burney it was socked in with smoke from the Park fire. Consequently, some well-intentioned folks on Facebook were recommending that PCT hikers skip up to Dunsmuir, and it appears that the majority of the PCT hikers around me did exactly that. I tend to be much more stubborn about maintaining my continuous footpath though (and admittedly this sometimes gets me into trouble), and because the PCT runs about seven miles north of Burney, I hitched a ride up to the trail to see conditions for myself. What I found when I got there was the smoke was mostly lifted.

So I decided to go for it. The trail through this section was a little overgrown in spots, which did some damage to my shins (should have zipped the legs back on my convertible pants), but otherwise conditions were beautiful. I saw only two other hikers (one NOBO and one SOBO) over this four days.

After hiking the last 100 miles through burn scars, it was really nice to be hiking in green again. I also saw a lot more wildlife than I have any previous sections of this trail (not including fish).

I did have one near disaster. On the second night I was hiking the last couple miles in the dark, and was just about finished when I reached for my phone and it wasn't in the pack pocket where it was supposed to be. I use my phone for navigation, info on water sources, camping spots, etc, so that was an alarming development. The brush was very overgrown through much of that area, and I could see how it could have knocked my phone out of my pocket that is attached to one of my pack straps. I knew the last time I looked at it, it said 1.7 miles to the next water source. So I backtracked what I thought was two miles with my headlamp, hoping I would see it on the trail. No luck.

My next idea was to wait until 4:45 in the morning when the alarm would be going off, and hopefully I would hear it as I walked the two-mile section of trail. No luck with that idea either.

For my third try, I very slowly walked back over that two miles, and carefully checked under every bush that looked like it was tall enough to knock the phone out of my pocket. No luck with that either.

After that failed, I essentially gave up, and started thinking of ways I could navigate the last 40 miles back to civilization. At this point I had not seen any other hikers for the previous two days, so it felt like I was there by myself. I had pretty much gone back through that entire two-mile section for the fourth time, and I had no intention of going through it again.

Then something black in the middle of a bush caught my eye. There it was! Talk about going from the lowest of lows to highest of highs instantly! I was back in the game.

View attachment 152668

View attachment 152669

View attachment 152670

View attachment 152671

View attachment 152673

View attachment 152674

View attachment 152675

View attachment 152676

View attachment 152677
Moze I lost my phone packing a Deer out last year. A guy showed up, he had service and I kept moving towards the kill site, finally heard it ring and found it.
Sunday we were headed to camp. On an extremely rough road I stopped for the wife to make a pit stop- I thing the phone had fallen on the floor mat and then to the ground. I had to buy a new one tonight.

Last edited:
Moze I lost my phone packing a Deer out last year. A guy showed up, he had service and I kept moving towards the kill site, finally heard it ring and found it.
Sunday we were headed to camp. On an extremely rough road I stopped for the wife to make a pit stop- I thing the phone had fallen on the floor mat and then to the ground. I had to buy a new one tonight.
Glad the first one worked out for you. Bummer about the second. I actually found a phone when I was hiking the CDT. After charging it, there was a text message on it that said something like: "This phone belongs to my grandpa. If anyone finds please contact me at..."

Those were some happy people to get that phone back. They were planning to take grandpa out that very night to get him a new phone. He had no idea where he had lost it, but based on where I found it, it was a location where he pulled off the road to relieve himself...

Glad the first one worked out for you. Bummer about the second. I actually found a phone when I was hiking the CDT. After charging it, there was a text message on it that said something like: "This phone belongs to my grandpa. If anyone finds please contact me at..."

Those were some happy people to get that phone back. They were planning to take grandpa out that very night to get him a new phone. He had no idea where he had lost it, but based on where I found it, it was a location where he pulled off the road to relieve himself...
It wasn't that long ago that we didn't even have those things. Now it's hard to imagine how we'd survive without them...

Mosey, I do envy you spending all that time alone out on the trail or up in Alaska fishing and now up in Alaska hunting, but in my case, it would be cheaper and a lot easier to just get a divorce. :unsure: Just kidding.:ROFLMAO:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom