Ocean charter

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
If you were headed to the Oregon Coast would you try a Bottom Fish, Coho and Crab 8hr trip ? It isn't the $240 it costs , but is it a good time ? Elbowed up for most of a day ?

I fish with dockside charters out of depot bay. Been out half dozen times in the last year. $100 for bass and ling, 5 hr. Best ling fishing just ended so I've heard (winter). 40' boat, can be 20 people but never really had an issue. Drift is the biggest problem, they use 4oz weights, 6+ is what the regulars use. We always look at the wind and swell data before we book. We have not done salmon with them. I have done salmon with Yaquina Bay charters a cpl summers ago and that was fun. We were on the owners boat.

If you don't mind spending more a 6-pack boat might be more enjoyable. Usually around $375 a day. Weekend before last took my wife, children and their significant others on a river striped bass fishing trip. Everyone had a blast and caught a lot of fish (could only keep 2 a piece though). And, you don't have to deal with strangers. About 7 hours and cost $300 ea. plus tip.

I fish with dockside charters out of depot bay. Been out half dozen times in the last year. $100 for bass and ling, 5 hr. Best ling fishing just ended so I've heard (winter). 40' boat, can be 20 people but never really had an issue. Drift is the biggest problem, they use 4oz weights, 6+ is what the regulars use. We always look at the wind and swell data before we book. We have not done salmon with them. I have done salmon with Yaquina Bay charters a cpl summers ago and that was fun. We were on the owners boat.
I went with Dockside 15 years ago I think. But it was a 5 hour Coho trip. Not so sure about 8 hours. But I did book it anyway about 5 minutes ago. The wife said do it ! So I chose the Coho , Crab and Bottom fish. I saw the Crab limit for Dungeness is 12. That is higher than I would imagine. Plus 24 Rock Crab of any size or sex.
I wanted to get Dockside but they didn't have an opening we could be there for, so I went with Tradewinds.

I fished that same exact combo last September out of Newport. I was on the Gracie K with Yaquina Bay Charters office. Silver salmon was wide open, rockfish were harder to come by, lots of crab. I came in with limits of all. Great trip but it could be a long day of fishing for some.

It's absolutely worth it. I have done all of those trips and they are so fun. Time it right, and you might be able to get into some albacore or even halibut.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom