Mule deer decline in Utah

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
Recently I was on a trip from Salt lake City to Grand Junction Colorado and hadn't traveled that road in years. What caught my attention was how many dead deer were on the highway from Springerville to Price. I saw 7 on the way over and 6 on the way back four of those deer were heavy with a fawn.

This area used to be a deer factory in the 60's 70's 80's even into the 90's but how can an area take this kind of a hit and still be viable. If you add up using a number of 5 deer a day that is 35 a week and 140 a month or that is 1680 a year not taking into account that some of those dead deer were does with fawns.

If we want to help the herds out they need to put in those wildlife crossings in several place in the canyon where most of the deer get hit it could help revive this herd and provide more hunting opportunities in the future. Nevada did it and I can say it has made a difference on 80 in the places that you used to see dead deer every trip.

There are many issues regarding the decline of the Mule deer but this one is one that we can help out on.

I'm pretty sure Wyo and Colo have gotten giant grants over the years to help with the expense of building large fencing/road crossing projects. It's a matter of having management in place willing to pro-actively work on these projects.

The wildlife is screwed, and so is the hunting. with all the people that have moved in the state and vehicles that run them over, it’s over boys. It can’t recover from that. I wish it was the 50s again!

I'm pretty sure Wyo and Colo have gotten giant grants over the years to help with the expense of building large fencing/road crossing projects. It's a matter of having management in place willing to pro-actively work on these projects.
We don’t need grants here in Utah, we have SFW and MDF to save us with all the conservation money they raise!

The wildlife is screwed, and so is the hunting. with all the people that have moved in the state and vehicles that run them over, it’s over boys. It can’t recover from that. I wish it was the 50s again!
That's quite the broad brush to paint a picture of doom and gloom with and a false one at that. It might be true within your little world but there are several places in the state that are doing just fine. No wonder you and elkass are such good friends.

It is just hard to believe the hunting that used to happen on that mountain in the Scofield area and what is there now. In the 60's that area seemed like it supported a good portion of the hunting pressure.
I know those wildlife crossings work Nevada is proof, how long can we just accept the status quo.
This could be a ballot measure if that is what it takes but we should all be together on this issue.

That's quite the broad brush to paint a picture of doom and gloom with and a false one at that. It might be true within your little world but there are several places in the state that are doing just fine. No wonder you and elkass are such good friends.
That’s right we are friends and that’s because we are realists and don’t live in fantasy land. There is no place in the state of utah that have more deer than ten years ago and if you think so you must work for the fish and game.

That’s right we are friends and that’s because we are realists and don’t live in fantasy land. There is no place in the state of utah that have more deer than ten years ago and if you think so you must work for the fish and game.
We all know that there's less deer on most units than ten years ago but if you want to talk about two years ago. Then I would say that there are more deer on many units than there were two years ago and there's definitely a higher percentage of bucks carrying over to the next year than 15-20 years ago. I'm sorry that there's less deer/ bucks hanging out on your property now days but many areas are doing much better now than compared to 15-20 years ago.

You have got to be kidding. Two years ago we had a horrible winter that took lots of deer and you are telling me they recovered that fast. Wow they must breed like rabbits. I’m not talking about my property. I’m talking about the state as a whole. It has been declining just a little more every year. By the way how old are you? Are you old enough to see how it used to be 60s, 70s, 80s, cause it’s no where near what it was like then and it never will be again. That’s what I’m talking about

We all know that there's less deer on most units than ten years ago but if you want to talk about two years ago. Then I would say that there are more deer on many units than there were two years ago and there's definitely a higher percentage of bucks carrying over to the next year than 15-20 years ago. I'm sorry that there's less deer/ bucks hanging out on your property now days but many areas are doing much better now than compared to 15-20 years ago.
So you do agree there are less deer than there was, so why you saying everything is peaches and cream. Also you go to the books, henerys, Pauns, etc and take a good look, cause all them bucks you say that are caring over aren’t there. Unless you talking about 2 year olds surviving to 3 year olds. Then you might be right. Show me them 7 and 8 year old bucks. You could count them on one hand and I’d put money on that, especially in the books.

So you do agree there are less deer than there was, so why you saying everything is peaches and cream. Also you go to the books, henerys, Pauns, etc and take a good look, cause all them bucks you say that are caring over aren’t there. Unless you talking about 2 year olds surviving to 3 year olds. Then you might be right. Show me them 7 and 8 year old bucks. You could count them on one hand and I’d put money on that, especially in the books.
The Pauns is in great shape. Carryover is excellent down there. Quality is still top notch. Henry’s is nothing like it was 10-12 yrs ago though. Books definitely is crap as well as the Vernon. I do agree as a whole deer numbers suck and this new idea of Knocking down to 7 bucks to 100 does makes no sense. You can’t say the bucks are outcompeting does when populations are nowhere near carrying capacity. If we had 3/4 of a million deer that could be argued. But we don’t and there is plenty of feed and not enough deer. So bottom line we need to put more deer on the landscape.

Just because there's less deer, it doesn't mean there's not plenty of bucks to be hunted and mature bucks at that. You would have to cut all tags by about 80 percent to get a bunch of 7 and 8 year old bucks running around after the season. Thank goodness 98 percent of the hunters would never want that to happen.

Just because there's less deer, it doesn't mean there's not plenty of bucks to be hunted and mature bucks at that. You would have to cut all tags by about 80 percent to get a bunch of 7 and 8 year old bucks running around after the season. Thank goodness 98 percent of the hunters would never want that to happen.
Apparently you never seen it years ago.So just like I said you are admitting there are less deer so what’s the argument. That’s all I was saying all along. Doe,s make bucks so when the numbers are down with them it’s not good. To many people in the state and too many getting slammed by all the vehicles. Yes I am glad that most people aren’t big buck hunters.that would be bad. In my book a 7 or 8 year old buck is a mature buck. Anything less isn’t. So I guess we see things different. That’s ok, you go hunt them 3 and 4 year old bucks if you can even find one of them. Good luck to you.

Apparently you never seen it years ago.So just like I said you are admitting there are less deer so what’s the argument. That’s all I was saying all along. Doe,s make bucks so when the numbers are down with them it’s not good. To many people in the state and too many getting slammed by all the vehicles. Yes I am glad that most people aren’t big buck hunters.that would be bad. In my book a 7 or 8 year old buck is a mature buck. Anything less isn’t. So I guess we see things different. That’s ok, you go hunt them 3 and 4 year old bucks if you can even find one of them. Good luck to you.
What you've been saying all along is hunting deer in Utah is horrible and it will never get any better and it just keeps getting worse and I'm saying that's not true and many units have been getting better from where they were 15 years ago. So I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

We can argue over how many deer there are in certain units for sure, but there are units that could use some help to get back to carrying capacity.
We all know the areas in the State where it seems you see more road kills than other areas. Those areas could and should benefit from Wildlife crossings.
We do so many things that are contributing to the decline, mostly growth and intruding on their wintering grounds and it is hard to do anything about that. But if there are things we can do to help them why aren't we doing that at least.

We can argue over how many deer there are in certain units for sure, but there are units that could use some help to get back to carrying capacity.
We all know the areas in the State where it seems you see more road kills than other areas. Those areas could and should benefit from Wildlife crossings.
We do so many things that are contributing to the decline, mostly growth and intruding on their wintering grounds and it is hard to do anything about that. But if there are things we can do to help them why aren't we doing that at least.
Because, as some say they "feel the deer herd is just fine and nothing needs to change"...

It’s odd to me to see someone lecturing Ridgetops on the quality of deer hunting in Utah.

Not many guys have hunted and killed big bucks like Ridge has the last 10-15 years. Especially on general units and public land.

95% (maybe even higher) of guys haven’t been as successful and finding and killing big bucks in Utah. It’s fair to disagree we people. We all have our opinions, but Horecorn, you need to check this guy’s bonafides before just assuming he’s up in the night and just hasn’t seen what it used to be.

When it comes to killing big bucks, ridge is definitely an exception.

I don’t even know the guy, just followed along over the years on various forums. The guy has killed and helped others kill more big bucks in Utah on general season units than 95% of the Utah hunters out there, I bet. (If not higher!) There are some great big buck killers out there, and he definitely meets that definition.

So when he says things are not as doom and gloom as some say, he’s speaking from personal experience on what he’s seen in the field, hunted, and ultimately killed. Not internet fodder or “drives” where he’s not seeing big bucks from the road.

Search up his posts and pics. I’m guessing you’ll be impressed.

I am impressed. But the herd is down and there is no denying that. It’s never going to be like it used to be. But things change and I understand that. To many people out and about.

When it comes to killing big bucks, ridge is definitely an exception.

I don’t even know the guy, just followed along over the years on various forums. The guy has killed and helped others kill more big bucks in Utah on general season units than 95% of the Utah hunters out there, I bet. (If not higher!) There are some great big buck killers out there, and he definitely meets that definition.

So when he says things are not as doom and gloom as some say, he’s speaking from personal experience on what he’s seen in the field, hunted, and ultimately killed. Not internet fodder or “drives” where he’s not seeing big bucks from the road.

Search up his posts and pics. I’m guessing you’ll be impressed.
There are definitely better hunters out there than what I am. If I can go out on the general rifle just last year and see around 50 bucks and 500 does and fawns between my hunting partner and myself. Just about every doe we saw had fawns. Does that really sound like the end of the deer herd in Utah?

Last Thursday 5 Fresh Deer SPLATTERED From Duchesne To Heber!

From Heber To Duchesne Today 6 SPLATTERED Deer & 2 Elk!

I Don't Know How Fresh The 2 Elk Road-Kills Were?

I Gathered Some Fresh Venison Burger Off The Roadkilled Deer Today!

There are definitely better hunters out there than what I am. If I can go out on the general rifle just last year and see around 50 bucks and 500 does and fawns between my hunting partner and myself. Just about every doe we saw had fawns. Does that really sound like the end of the deer herd in
Is that all you seen. In the old days you would have seen 150 bucks and 2,000 head of does. You just made my point I was saying. Thanks….

We Killed a 11 1/2 year old buck last year. So I guess that means their running around all over the place with that logic.

Hey Ridge?

Out Of Them 50 Bucks?

How Many Were Mature?

I'm Not Talking An MM Mature!

There are definitely better hunters out there than what I am. If I can go out on the general rifle just last year and see around 50 bucks and 500 does and fawns between my hunting partner and myself. Just about every doe we saw had fawns. Does that really sound like the end of the deer herd in Utah?

Is that all you seen. In the old days you would have seen 150 bucks and 2,000 head of does. You just made my point I was saying. Thanks….
It could be argued that the deer herds were way over objective in the 50s and were bound to crash. Guess what? They did crash, and they have several times over the last 60+ years. There is zero chance of it returning to mirror those days of the 1950s. It's time to move on. I choose to enjoy what I now have rather than cry over what I once had.

It could be argued that the deer herds were way over objective in the 50s and were bound to crash. Guess what? They did crash, and they have several times over the last 60+ years. There is zero chance of it returning to mirror those days of the 1950s. It's time to move on. I choose to enjoy what I now have rather than cry over what I once had.
I’m certainly not crying about it I’m just telling it like is. I’ve had good hunting in the past and even killed some good bucks lately. That doesn’t make it great hunting though just because a guy kills a few good ones. Just concerned about the grandkids and their future of hunting. Not looking good for them.

Last edited:
I remember a stretch near Fairfield we called slaughter valley. There were a half dozen a day killed in a 10 mile starch of road. So many Road kills.

Last Thursday 5 Fresh Deer SPLATTERED From Duchesne To Heber!

From Heber To Duchesne Today 6 SPLATTERED Deer & 2 Elk!

I Don't Know How Fresh The 2 Elk Road-Kills Were?

I Gathered Some Fresh Venison Burger Off The Roadkilled Deer Today!
This is exactly what I am talking about there are areas that have more road kill than others and can benefit from our help. I'll bet that the road kill it way bigger than everyone thinks/

This is exactly what I am talking about there are areas that have more road kill than others and can benefit from our help. I'll bet that the road kill it way bigger than everyone thinks/
I completely agree. Each unit should be managed for individual needs. It does seem apparent to me that deer crossings are one area that is really lacking in Utah.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom