Northwest Colorado

littlebull209338

I just saw that Maybell, Colorado had a -44 degree heat wave....that will surely kill a lot of the game up there. A lot of the elk and deer from the Meeker area migrate to that area.

I think the all time low for Maybell is -63.

-61 in 1985. I remember that year, although I was a bit south of there.

I think the all time low for Maybell is -63.

-61 in 1985. I remember that year, although I was a bit south of there.
It woul be interesting to see what the winter kill was from 83 - 85. As I recall, those years were pretty rough.

And Every Glow Plug Better Be Working To Start The 6.9's & First 7.3's When It was Cold!
Started my Duramax one time and thought it was going to explode. People in town later told me town was something like-25 to -30. They said where I was camped on the mountain had to be -35 or colder. Have not had to use it, but a small Honda generator travels with me on winter hunts now. Next time it’s that cold I am going to let the block heater run a few hours before I start it.

Started my Duramax one time and thought it was going to explode. People in town later told me town was something like-25 to -30. They said where I was camped on the mountain had to be -35 or colder. Have not had to use it, but a small Honda generator travels with me on winter hunts now. Next time it’s that cold I am going to let the block heater run a few hours before I start it.
Always dump a can of heat in tank as well.

To bad on years like these Fish and Game did not sell A LOT more tags to thin the herds. Terrible to see these animals go to waste. All it did was help the predictor population. I know it’s all foresight to allow larger tag allocations. With all this anti NR comments, I think Mother Nature does the worst damage to wildlife.

Did that article say one pick up truck killed 18 speed goats?

And in another incident this winter a semi truck killed 35 speed goats, both in Moffat County?

TST...After my first time in the Canoe Club, I got a job working for a contractor doing work for the Federal Railroad Administration. I installed and analyzed data from strain gages on a prototype electric locomotive. It was very quiet, usually pulling one car.

It was not uncommon to hit small herds of speed goats. So we would stop, clear debris and continue on. Within 2 laps(21 mile loop) we would hit a small pack of coyotes.

When the snow is deep it's not uncommon for pronghorn to congregate where there is little snow. Just happens that a lot of times it's on a highway or on train tracks because they are cleared of snow, makes for easier walking...

I would assume the antelope in Routt County were a group I saw that got stuck in the deep snow, they likely starved and were picked apart by the coyotes. The Moffat antelope were likely standing on icy roads and got mowed...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom