MOST UNETHICAL ARCHERY SHOTS CAUGHT ON VIDEO!!!

R

RUTTNBUCKS

MOST UNETHICAL ARCHERY SHOTS CAUGHT ON VIDEO!!!

"ROUND UP THE BOYZ"A BUDDY OF MINE JUST BOUGHT A THREE DVD COLLECTION THAT WAS PRODUCED BY SALT LAKE CITY BOYS WANNA BE'S.I WAS BLOWN AWAY AT NOT ONLY THE DISTANCE THAT THEY WERE SHOOTING, BUT THE ANGLES AND ALSO THE OVERALL CONDITIONS, WIND, RAIN, BRUSH IN THE WAY YOU NAME IT. SINCE WHEN DOES A 80+ YARD DEER BEDDED FACING STRAIT AWAY FROM YOU EVEN MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT TAKING A SHOT, O AND I CANT FORGET STRAIT DOWN A CLIFF TO ADD TO THE RETARDEDNESS OF THE SHOT. IM SORRY IF I SOUND A LITTLE TO FIRED UP. BUT WHERE IM FROM WE STILL VALUE ANIMAL LIFE AND DO OUR BEST AT TAKING THE KIND OF SHOTS THAT ELIMINATE ANY UNNEEDED SUFFURING. THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE TO WOUND AN ANIMAL EVEN AT THE CLOSEST RANGE WITH THE IDEAL CONDITIONS TO THINK THAT IF YOU PRACTICE ENUF AT 80 AND 100 YARDS THAT SOMEHOW YOU ARE CAPABLE OF TAKING THOSE KIND OF REDICOULAS SHOTS YOU DONT HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR ANIMALS LIFE. SINCE WHEN IS A SPINAL SHOT A HEART SHOT? AND A GUT SHOT A LUNG SHOT? THAT IS WHAT THEY SAY IN THERE VIDEOS. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO HEAR SOME OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS ON THIS MATTER. THANKS

RE: MOST UNETHICAL ARCHERY SHOTS CAUGHT ON VIDEO!!!

WITH ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, HOW DID YOU GUESS RIGHT ON?

I had the mis-fortune of watching their first DVD. I wanted to puke.

I'm with you RuttNBucks... It has been my great misfortune to have a conscience when it comes to bow hunting... On 2 separate occasions I have been in bow range of bucks that would run into the 160's or maybe even 170 (Either way they were the largest bucks I'd have taken with a bow) and I had them at close range, but very poor shots. One was a nice 5x4, (I'd say about 170") in his bed at about 35 yards, below me, and facing away. I couldn't justify trying to stick him like that, so I worked my way around him, he got up to feed and I thought i was gonna get him for sure, until his very little brother out of nowhere busted me... Oh well.

Either way, I always opt for ethical shots. I have never shot at a deer that I didn't have a clear kill shot on... And from your account of the video, these guys give us bow hunters a very bad reputation that Tree Huggin', Animal Lovers use as ammo against us...

Thanks for the post...!

OK one of you is screaming/speaking in riddles and the other is talking in code.More information please? Thanks.

HEY HOYTME, I CANT HELP BUT ASK, DO YOU SHOOT A HOYT? HOW DO YOU FEEL KNOWING THAT THEY ARE PART OF HOYTS PRO STAFF?

I do shoot a Hoyt, how did you know? LOL

Every Tom, Bob, and Harry seem to be on the Pro-Staff, so that doesn't bother me much.

Cant help but NOT care about you realigning yourself on the buck that was 35 yards in his bed. You didnt feel good about taking that shot? Do you want a trophy for being "Most Ethical Archer" on the planet or what?

ha ha ha oh here we go lol.... if you know your equipment youve practiced at those distances and you know you can make the shot why does it matter, i love how everyone picks on the bow hunters, we make one iffy shot and the wolrd comes apart and the sky starts falling, look at all of the shots some rifle hunters are taking 1000 yards, running, quartering to and away, just throwing lead to try to get one in the animal, im not sayin all rifle hunters are that way, but when they do kill a animal at 1000 yards its hooray wow look how far that was, like i said before if you know your equipment and you practice practice practice and feel you can make the shot then shoot away my friend. and lets talk about unethical gettin on a website and bashin someones business... come on!!!! go get your bow and go shoot and dont worry how others hunt,and p.s. if you do watch there vids all the animals they shoot are recovered...

THE A TEAM

All the animals they shoot? Or all the animals they shoot on video?

how many bow hunters do you know that are 100% kills no loses cause i know some pretty damn good bow hunters that have lost animals its a fact of life, bow hunters and rifle hunters alike, but as far as shots if you feel good about it let her rip, those guys practice non stop at those distances if youve watched there films you would see that or attended ##### at the bird, they set that corse up just like they hunt, thats the country they hunt in thats the shots they know they are going to get so they practice, just as you practice on anything else you want to be good at.

one in the air is worth ten in the quiver

THE A TEAM

sixthtine, "so why does it matter?" It matters because you are shooting at a live animal and your arrow's broadhead carry's bowhunting;s future on it. That is why it matters.

Rifles can shoot a lot farther than a bow, but even rifle's distances have to be limited and let me tell you it's not a 1,000 yards. It's not 500 yards, its closer.

And with a bow 60 yards is a long shot at a live critter. 100 yards shots are like 1,000 yard rifle shots.

Long distance shooting results in far more animals hit and lost percentage wise than close shooting, be it a gun, a muzzleloader or a bow.

I want my son and my daughters son to be able to bow hunt when they are old enough. And I want their son and daughters to be able to bowhunt when they are of age. If we don't patrol our own ranks we will have no ranks to patrol. When are you long shot heroes going to be happy? Take time to learn how to hunt, how to get close, and how to recover every critter you hit. That is what hunting should be about!

All the animals they shoot might be recovered on the video, but there are a lot that aren't ,that can't be shown and that's the shame and result of long shooting. Be it any weapon!

If you like that long shooting so much try out for the Olympics if you are such a great shot. But spare the animals that crap and spare bowhunting the bad name you give it.

I like a lot of the guys from FMP, but I hate what they portray and the bad image they give bowhunting.

Have a good one. BB!

I think his point (from what I have read) is that he feels the video portrays poor sportsmanship.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

i understand what you are saying and one day i want to take my kids bow hunting too, but like i have said if you practice and know you can make the shot take it, watch best of the west boys they can pop a baloon from 1000 almost everytime and watch the FMP boys shoot they can pop a baloon at a 100 almost everytime all it take is time getting to know your equipment and you limits, with all of todays bows and rifles they are plenty of weapon for those shots its just having the patients and practice to get good at those distances what do you mean spare the animals that crap a leathal shot is a leathal shot no matter if it is 2 yards or 100 yards, and that is hunting getting as close as you can and as close as you know you need to be to make the shot count,

THE A TEAM

I bought one of there videos a few years ago and thought the same thing. Plus the whole 360 yoga dude or whatever it was freaked me out. They did get some nice bucks in the video. I would say the video was worth throwing away and not returning to get my money back. The one in the snow with the buck way down the hill was a flipping sweet shot, but it would have easily wounded the animal one inch higher or lower.

Dillon

i appreciate there practicing and there shooting ability, and if they can hit a balloon at 100 yards great but the shots they took were not ethical. how about that antelope that moves and is walking straight away, that was just luck. and the deer bedded facing away at over 80 yards in the wind straight down. the video showed me more than anything that you should not take those shots because as much as they practice they take poor shots at the animals and the arrow nine times out of ten does not hit where it should, if they were taking 80 yard shots and hitting them in the vitals that would be one thing but very few were hit in the vitals. i also love the start of the first video hitting that deer in the back hind leg at forty yards wow. i appreciate they recovered the animals, but the hunting was piss poor.

I have heard this before on here they should call this place
"PISSandMOAN.com" The Fact is them guys can out shoot the majority of any one of us,, They shoot better groups at 80 Plus than most people I see shoot at 20, I guess to each his own but if you can make the shot "Ethically" Take it. In the mean time keep squaking and wish you could shoot only half as good as they can. freeking cry babys

From what I've read I wouldn't say the guys responding to this thread are being jealous cry babies. Just a bunch of guys who don't agree with the shots taken in the video. They seem to be concerned how this type of video could impact the sport. Since when does being concerned about the sport we all love make you a jealous crybaby.

I haven't seen any of the videos so I have a few questions for those who have seen them. In the videos do they ever shoot an animal that is not recovered? Do they ever show missed shots in the video? Finally with out exaggerating are the shots they take in the video as bad as what people are saying about them or do people not like the shots they take just because of the long distances? Do they really take 80+ yard shots on moving animals?

sixtine...
You say they are such good shots and practice so much and can pop this balloon without any of the adrenaline that comes when hunting well, the proof is in the pudding as they say on the there third and hopefully last video. watch the video and you count how many shots were in the vitals(balloon) and if you are honest with yourself you to will agree that they are great shots at balloons but that is where those shots should stay. This is just what we need our kids watching and being taught. If they want to take bad shots thats there business but when they record and distribute those bad stupid shots, thats FLAT RETARDED. Just think about all the tree huggers and how they are adding that to there reasons to shut bow hunting out for good. Not to mention hunt a little, maybe try taking off your running shoes and strap on some hunting boots and get a little closer.

Many of the replies on this thread make me sick and sad at the same time.BB it appears we are outnumbered and it is getting worse every day....

>Many of the replies on this
>thread make me sick and
>sad at the same time.BB
>it appears we are outnumbered
>and it is getting worse
>every day....

Sad but true.....BB is spot on, IMO.

BOHNTR )))---------->

It seems like this FMP topic comes up every time they are about to release another video.

Coincidence? Maybe.

I got a hunch though, ya'll is getting played.

What's the saying...any press is good press.

Next thing you now the FMP team will be shaving there heads, going commando, and entering the psych ward all Brittney Spears like to get you guys talking about them even more.

I think you hit the nail on the head. This was the original poster's #1 first .

I personally don't see why all you guys are so concerned about what Peta and all those other tree hugging, granola eating fagots think about us. They are going to hate on hunting no matter what. only thing we can do is support groups that fight on our side. Never seen the video and don't care to. It is a personal choice if you want to take shot like i hear they are doing.

"Life's tough... It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

Hitting/missing a balloon at 100 yards is one thing, hitting an animal out of the vitals is a whole other universe. I know archers who can shoot lights out at 100 yards, but because they are HUNTERS they wouldn't think of taking a 100 yard shot at a moving animal. It takes an arrow how long to get there? How far can the animal move? How many small obstacles are in the arrow flight path that may be not be noticed that can change the course of the arrow? Way too many questions for this type of shooting to be condoned/encouraged. And yes, glorifying it on DVD's is indeed condoned/encouraging others to attempt the same type of shots.

BB...well said. I agree 100 %

Sad to say but in my opinion, FMP = bad attention for the sport of bowhunting, but good business for them. What matters most? The integrity of our great sport, or their success and ego building with their wild shots, and long distance launches. There is no question this guys are phenomenal shots with a bow. The modern technology and equipment also helps and the reality is, you can hit a target at long distances with a bow. You can't take that away from them, they have shown this. But....what about when that animal takes a step or shifts another direction while that arrow is flying 100+ yards to get there. A lot of the time, that equates to a marginal hit and a suffering animal which isn't recovered. This shows a lack or respect for the critter we hunt and takes away from the sport as a whole.

I think their videos are entertaining on some level but hope they would be a bit more responsible to show they really do care and have respect for the animals they hunt more than they do showing off their talent at shooting at them so far away. This has been hashed out on this forum before, but....good post.

No kidding the animal right groups are going to hate us no matter how we do things period.... Yes they are shooting balloons just cause they don't hit the 6 or less inch balloon a few times doesn't make it unethical. For hell sakes its "Practice". They even say its just "Practice" in the video several times. Do the videos show misses on live deer? Yeah I can think of two misses on the proof video maybe theres more. So once again there is nothing wrong with that either,,,,, no they aren't running shots or anything like that its nothing unethical, As far as the adrenaline thing goes thats stupid to even say. Geee I can practice on my block and shoot less than a 2 inch groups at 20 yards all day long But when I get within 20 yards of a huge buck I get buck fever and shake like a leaf so is that shot unethical? Cause I am shaking. I'll try to calm down if I can.. Huge difference between practice and hunting thats why you practice! Who says you have to stop at 60 or 70 yards? The sky is the limit when its practice. I would recommend to anyone else that has negative thoughts about the shots taken in the video,, Watch the video yourself its not near as bad of a picture as its painted up to be.

>Watch the video yourself its
>not near as bad of
>a picture as its painted
>up to be.

You're right, it's WORSE!

first off why do you care what the tree huggers think? and my running shoes ha ha ya i do wear running shoes thats how most of us stay in shape in the off season, and for boots those guys hunt harder and go deeper then 90% of us so they can shoot long shots thats great what about the book cliffs buck they shot this year at ten feet, they are just showing that they are all around great hunters they can close the distance when the time comes and when they cant they make the long shot count. have you been to a archery shop lately everyone is shooting for distance time change if we practice and are good at what we do and make a kill shot i dont see what the problem is its you guys that are hurting the sport by callin out your own kind if its the tree huggers you are so worried about shouldnt you be trying to keep everyone on one team? so why dont you put some boots on and go hunt how you want to and let others hunt how they want to

THE A TEAM

first off why do you care what the tree huggers think? and my running shoes ha ha ya i do wear running shoes thats how most of us stay in shape in the off season, and for boots those guys hunt harder and go deeper then 90% of us so they can shoot long shots thats great what about the book cliffs buck they shot this year at ten feet, they are just showing that they are all around great hunters they can close the distance when the time comes and when they cant they make the long shot count. have you been to a archery shop lately everyone is shooting for distance time change if we practice and are good at what we do and make a kill shot i dont see what the problem is its you guys that are hurting the sport by callin out your own kind if its the tree huggers you are so worried about shouldnt you be trying to keep everyone on one team? so why dont you put some boots on and go hunt how you want to and let others hunt how they want to

THE A TEAM

You cant tell me that everyone on here complaining about FMP has made a perfect shot on every animal they have shot at?....whether it be with a rifle, muzzleloader or a bow....i have seen the videos and wasnt impressed with the 1st two but liked "Proof" more than the others. An animal can move just as fast at 25 yards as at 80. Do i agree with long shots, no, but why do we condemn each other for doing something that "we" ourselves wouldnt do just cuz "we personally feel it unethical"?

Some might feel a 60 yard shot is too far, yet others wouldnt hesitate to let it fly. Do what you feel is ethical and dont judge others on what they feel is ethical to them.

Mathews Z7
CX Maxima Hunter 350
Sure Loc Single pin
Grim Reaper Broadheads

Always remember. We are not trying to change the hearts and minds of the anti-hunters. That is an impossibility. The vast majority of our society are not hunters and right now, not against hunting. We must keep that segment of our country on our side, if we loose them we are toast.

I have never seen their videos and would not put money in there pocket by buying one. I have seen their website and I trust the judgment of some of the guys on MM...they sound like a couple of tools to me. And - everyone is talking about shot distance, sounds like the issue goes well beyond just the distance of the shots.

I implore all bowhunters on MM to follow in the foot steps of guys like BOHNTR and not FMP. The fact that guys like them get so much support says a lot about the hunting community and it is not good. The game deserves more respect than that.

"ha ha ha oh here we go lol.... if you know your equipment youve practiced at those distances and you know you can make the shot why does it matter"

"your equipment" doesn't make up for a lack of hunting skill, get closer, it does matter.

If you have not seen the video's how can you form an "opinion" on FMP??? They don't tell you or your kids to take long shots. They are good hunters and are getting better. I have seen all the DVD'S and cant recall anyone on any of them saying how far a particular shot was.

i never said anything about your equipment making you a better hunter i said if you practice and know your equipment inside out out and what it is capable of then yes why not take the shot they are great hunters and they take pride in what they do and they PRACTICE lol how many times do i have to say it youve probably heard the saying practice makes perfect its the only way to get good at something its not like they pull their bow out of the case opening morning and say lets go launch some arrows come on this is somthin else

one in the air is worth ten in the quiver

THE A TEAM

Dad taught me a long time ago and I've bowhunted instinctively over 10 years in the past, 2 and half years ago I decided to get a new bow with sights/release ect and see what all the new hype was about...after realizing how much more accurate I was with that setup I happened to stumble across an FMP dvd and was instantly hooked on this new long range style...honestly I was excited as hell about it!! I sold that setup and bought brand new what I still feel is the most accurate bow setup in the world. I know for a fact I can smoke targets well beyond 100 yards under ideal weather conditions....does that mean I should take those same shots on muleys under ideal weather conditions?? HELL NO!! FMP once made me believe it was ok to do so but after long consideration and arguing back and forth on this issue (with some of you here on MM)...it's not ethical in any way shape or form!! For me, it was an excuse to bypass stalking in on big bucks because where I hunt the ground is completely covered up with dried up oak leaves by mid-august making it damn near impossible to stalk in on any smart/mature bucks...in my hunting spot ambush is the only way to go with a bow unless it rains hard. But instead I focused on LONG RANGE because FMP hooked me like a fish...mistake!! All this long range crap goes against everything I have ever been taught about bowhunting!!

To those of you who honestly believe it's ok to be launching arrows at critters at 100+ yards you need to seriously stop and think logically...question what you've been taught in the past and how good of an example those people really were, question and define your own values, morals, and ethics...

I'll guarantee you guys, that think long range bowhunting is ok, one thing...if it were at all ethical or good for our sport, there wouldn't be this many pissed off people trying to talk sense into you!!

To every person I've ever argued with on here regarding long range bowhunting...MY BAD!! :)

~Z~

It's funny how about every 3 months, the same topics get re circulated and fought over. It's cool though, maybe everytime, only one person will get the point. I don't really feel like weighing in, but everyone must be aware that bowhunters seem to be watched closer than any other type of hunters, and I do know that if animals continue to get wounded, we could be cut off, or severely cut back. Just be smart.

Years ago while working in Tucson I went to a field shooting seminar by Bob Ragsdale. Bob's son Terry and daughter in law Michelle were the top mens and womens shooters in the world at that time. Well, Bob started his talk by engaging the group on how horrible it was to wound animals. Everyone in the room agreed that wounding animals was a clear indication of how incompetent a hunter one would be. Then Bob asked how many people had ever missed a game animal. Of course everyone in the room raised their hand. Then Bob shocked everyone when he said

"if you missed an animal then you are not even good enough to wound one"

Has anyone here not missed an animal?

Sixthtine,

Just curious, how old are you and how long have you been bowhunting?

never_catch hit it right on the head. YES these guys can shoot like no other, yes these guys are probably decent hunters, but in the end there show showed us that no matter how good you are you cannot consistantly hit a live target in the vitals at those ditances. and they took alot of poor shots. you guys saying wheather conditions and the right angle, most of the time they didn't have that, just showed poor judgement and lack of self control. i didn't know they had a new video coming out, well we know they sold over 40 so far ha.

""if you missed an animal then you are not even good enough to wound one"

Has anyone here not missed an animal?"

Clearly there is a difference between: missing or wounding an animal because you are an imperfect human being and not Jesus Christ and missing or wounding an animal because you took an unethical shot.

Right? Isn?t there a pretty clear distinction there? Or am I just a dumb @$$?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p] 25 and been bow hunting my whole life, since i could hold a bow what does that have to do with anything on the subject

THE A TEAM

Just curious, thats all. It is apparent your opinion on this subject differs from the majority who have posted on this subject. I wondered if age and experience could possibly be a factor in that...but with seeing your age and experience, I don't think so. What has you standing guard so strongly for these guys, do you know them, are they friends?

I don't think that a missed shot is always further off the target then a wounding shot. I missed a buck at 30 yards broadside one year. I'd say about 5 inches low of where I was trying to hit. Well my shot could have been off by more then 5 inches lets say 10 inches off but to the left instead of low then I would have hit the buck in the butt. Saying a missed shot is off the target more then a wounding shot is not always true but I see what the guy was trying to say or point out.

Thanks for answering some of my questions southslope82 so they do show missed shots in their videos. Most of us has made at least one bad shot no matter what the distance. Weather it be a missed shot or a wounding shot we've probably all have made a shot that hasn't hit where we wanted it to. I think it's good that they show their misses instead of editing them out. Chalk on up for the FMP boys! Maybe I'll watch one of their videos after all. Does anyone have a copy they'd like to get rid of?

>I think you hit the nail
>on the head. This
>was the original poster's #1
>first .

Yes this was my first time POSTING on MM. But I think is funny you try to use that as to say that my opinion is somehow worthless and doesnt meen a thing.
The fact of the matter is I just got finished watching three of the videos that FMP produced and to say the least I was discusted. It wasnt JUST the distance of the shots that disappointed me, it was the placement on the animals. SELF-CONTROL is something that those have a severe lack of.. Taking a shot at an antelope as it turns strait away from you like they did in "THE PROOF", shows a lack of self control. But I guess Practice makes it alright to take any shot at ANY time in ANY conditions. That is what it sounds like some people are saying on this forum.
I would challenge anyone who is sitting on the fence in this topic to either buy a copy or borrow a copy the videos I dont care which one any copy will prove that PRACTICE DOESNT MAKE IT ALRIGHT TO TAKE THOSE KIND OF SHOTS.

Im glad to see that the FMP boyz are participating in this discussion. Maybe they will see how many people out here dont agree with there philosophys and challenge there hunting styles. Hopefully they can learn what really does sell Hunting Videos(ethics). Thanks

+1 to whomever said this post was spawned by the same guys making the video, bet that's true.

To me this all comes down simply to maturity. The mature (older) guys on here who I've grown to respect over the years all agree the long shots are unethical, and it's the younger guys who think its "cool" to take the long shots. A guy can be 25 and mature, or 25 and not, but I think it takes a level of maturity to respect the animals we hunt and to pursue them for the sake of the hunt, not the kill. My two cents...

LBR

Ya they showed missed shots. On the three videos I just watched There were three missed shots, and they were the three biggest bucks on the videos. One of them he hit the second time(in the guts) and did find it thank goodness. Another one he thought that with all that practice he could shoot an arrow through a rock on a total pig of a buck... And the third miss was on a 200+ incher at well over 'LAUNCHES' effective range. And he has killed bucks the last three years at a distance 80+ yards not feet. Watch the videos for yourself.

FMP let me just say WOW what a freaking joke. I have been hunting all my life out in the west but I have never taken a 80 yard shot with my bow I guess I am just a better hunter than that. I dont care if you shoot two hundred arrows a day at that range, you can not control a live animal. LUANCH you guys where pretty proud of that guy I would be imbrassed if that was my nickname I would probably lose my hunting partners if I pulled something like that. I would never bash a real business but the guys like FMP ruin hunting for all of us. No wonder land owners hate bow hunters god im just shocked how dumb those guys are..

>. I
>would never bash a real
>business but the guys like
>FMP ruin hunting for all
>of us. No wonder land
>owners hate bow hunters god
>im just shocked how dumb
>those guys are..

WTF!!!! in your OPINION one bad apple is going to ruin hunting for all of us. What a freaking joke, look at all the G.D. Poachers out ther that get away with the SH&^ that they do, what about the people that trespass to hunt because they think they are above everybody and the law. What about the hunters that go set up camp off the road and leave all the sh*^ behind when the go home because they are to damn lazy to clean up after themselves. I may not agree with everything that FMP Does or does not do. As far as i am concerned they are not going to RUIN hunting for all of us just because the killed an animal at a range that you dont agree with or a shot placement. The people that are going to ruin hunting for the rest of us are the people that are out there doing everthing on their own terms and not by the book.

so your saying you cant cotrol a wild animal right? thats true you cant wether its 20 yards or 80 yards it can jump your string at 20 yards just as easy as it could take a step at 80 you cant control what a animal does thats the risk we take when we take a shot and as for better hunter how can you come on here and say you are a better hunter then another person, and people you dont even know??? you should be the imbrassed one FMP does alot for the bow hunters and local archery shops if everything they do is so bad and they are such HORRIBLE hunters why do they have sponsers supporting them? and bow hunters supporting them? and why do they kill big bucks year after year? cause they do their home work they practice and work very hard at what they do.i do know them im not good friends with them but do know them i am supporting this because its rediculous to me how people can get on here and bash someones livelyhood because its not their style

THE A TEAM

>""if you missed an animal then
>you are not even good
>enough to wound one"
>
>Has anyone here not missed an
>animal?"
>
>
>
>Clearly there is a difference between:
>missing or wounding an animal
>because you are an imperfect
>human being and not Jesus
>Christ and missing or wounding
>an animal because you took
>an unethical shot.

Ya had to bring jesus christ into this didnt ya LOL.

Every shot is Unethical, There is always the chance of wounding a deer at 1 foot to 1000 yards be it a gun or a bow. That is a fact that everybody needs to come to terms with, there is always that chance.

I agree. But there not stupid enuf to make a video of them doing it.

Practice enuf and you take any shot you want!!! Thats a great idea.

I agree, and the odds increase the further you get.

Sixthtine you are obviously a fanboy but you do make a good point. These FMP clowns are doing what they are doing because they are making a little money and get free equipment from their sponsors like Hoyt and Badlands.

If people dislike the lack of ethical hunting these guys are showing to the world then let their sponsors here about it. I guarantee you if Hoyt and other sponsors gets enough pressure from hunters who disagree with how FMP portrays bowhunting, then the sponsors will disappear.

If people quit buying these FMP videos and they no longer have sponsors then maybe FMP will start making skateboarding videos instead of hunting videos.

A TEAM huh is that FMP nobody is saying they are a better hunter people are saying they are more ethical, and the fact that they can jump a string at 20 yards means they can turn around and run before the arrow gets there. its all about being ethical. and taking good shots, which is not being done again i am impressed by there or YOUR long range shooting but you take poor shots get an animal lined up at 80 yards standing broadside and smoke him in the lungs time after time. then you make a point about practice.

When it comes down to it we all have our freedom of speech, as they are intitled to that so am I. And I STRONGLY disagree and am discusted with the stuff they produce. In my mind it is no different then if I started introducing a little 'porn' in my videos to help sell my crappy product. It doesnt make it right.

But I guess if you practice enuf you can take ANY shot at ANY time in ANY conditions!!!

i have no ties with FMP at all lol, how is a 60 yard double lung shot more ethical then a 80 yard double lung shot???? a lethal shot is a lethal shot no matter what the range and if you feel that your comfort zone stops at 40, 50, 60, what ever then thats great, shoot out to where you feel confident that you can make the shot, and dont rag on others that are doing the same thing.

THE A TEAM

Style are you kidding what style these guys are idoits there is nothing ethical about these guys. Watch the videos big bucks I saw two bucks in three videos that where nice but those buck were also shot in hay feilds, I wouldnt be proud of that. What are these guys teaching are youth hunters if you think you can hit it shoot at it. I have lost an animal before made me sick to my stomach. If FMP thinks for one minute that these crap shots would work on elk they have another thing coming. They also need to learn where the vitals are located didnt know the lungs are by the @ss. I guess why im the most ticked is the fact I wasted money on these videos. The fact they get sponsors amazes me to.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]so your sayin if you had permission to hunt a farmers field and you watched it all summer, set up a ambush spot where the deer where comin out and killed a great buck you wouldnt be proud??? and thats where the PRACTICE thing comes into play again, you dont shoot at a animal because you THINK you can hit it you practice and become confident so when you take the shot you know you are going to hit it

THE A TEAM

If the farmer let everyone that asked to hunt, hunt then yes I would be proud. Although im sure those deer cost a pretty penny.

What you are all missing here is the word HONESTY. That is the problem that I have with FMP and bowhunters in general. They refuse to be HONEST with themselves and others about how far they can effectively put an arrow in the kill zone in a hunting situation (which is different than a practice situation, much different). For some rare few that distance may well be 100 yards, and if that is the case, I say go for it. For most it is a much shorter distance. Either way, the problem isn't the number, the problem is the HONESTY about ones ability, and having enough character and personal integrity to stick to your HONESTLY established effective range come hell or high water (or a shot slightly longer than your established range). Again, for some it will be less than 20 yards, for others it could be 120. What is yours?? You probably don't even know.....YOU SHOULD.

FMP in my opinion has not been able to demonstrate through their videos that they are HONEST in choosing their effective shooting distances because they have not been able to show good vital arrow impacts at long range in hunting situations. They need to either improve their shooting or shorten their shots distances.

With that said, and to FMP's credit, what they are trying to do is very difficult. Capturing spot and stalk, open country bowhunts on film is no small task and they have had alot of success taking some very nice animals. With some improvement in on camera shot placement they will be putting together some great videos that are unlike any other.

backinthegame,

Very good point. Like I mentioned above, I like many things about the FMP videos. I just don't care for the long shots being advertised the way they are. Just because one guy can do it doesn't mean another can. They need to think about the example they are setting. Maybe they are and that is why they do it....who knows? Either way I'm afraid it makes us all look bad.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]Skye, I don't know you from Adam. Hopefully someday we can meet.

Any bowhunter who is worth his weight in broadheads,------ PRACTICES!!!! Shooting long distances is fun, no one here will deny that. I am not a great shot by any means, and especially at 100 yards, but I have to admit, it sure is fun. I have won a few dinners and lost quite a few, on distance shooting, but it was certianly not at big game animals.

I run around with some very good shots. One of my friends was the last guy cut from making the Olympic team. I have several other friends who are top notch shots and can compete with almost anyone. But not one of those guys would take 100 yards shot at a live critter. And the main reason------ is they have too much respect for the animal and for bowhunting itself!

Above you ask, the difference between a vital shot at 60 yards and one at 80. Both animals will die if vitally shot, there is no doubt about that.

I can best answer that by giving you an example. Lets say you and I are kids, the same age and we are with a bunch of friends and we decide to jump off a shed roof, in the back, where it is only 4 feet high. Everyone in the group jumped and found it fun. Then we decided to jump off the front of the roof were it 6 feet high. We all jumped and have fun (and no one got hurt), so we decide to jump off the neighbors shed, because it is higher. (10 feet). Half the kids now back out and won't jump because they feel the distance is too high and the risk of getting hurt is too great. But half the kids decide to jump (let's just say there are still four remaining)The four remaining kids jump, but two get hurt doing it. The two remaining decide, since they didn't get hurt to jump from a 15 foot building. Both jump, but only one can walk away. Do you think he will now try from 20 feet? I doubt it as he has seen too many people get hurt. There comes a point where the distance is too high and the likelihood of getting hurt too great

The same can be said with shooting at critters. The chance of wounding and loss becomes greater with distance. There is a point where everyone has to draw the line.

The main difference in my analogy is the critters are the ones getting hurt, rather than the (jumper)shooter. If it was your leg you were busting or you were the one getting gut shot, it wouldn't take you long to quit shooting those long shots, as it didn't take most of our friends long to quit jumping when we got too far off the ground in my example.

Like in jumping off buildings, once you start to get too far from a critter the likelihood of wounding goes up exponentially.

Bowhunting, by its very nature is about getting close and making killing shots. We as bowhunters should realize that important obligation. Sadly many don't.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

There is a big difference between bow shooters and bow hunters. It is up to the individual to choose which side of the fence he is on. There really shouldn't even be a conscious choice - sad deal when there is. It is a commentary on today's society.

30-30

BB you have a great point and if you read one of my above replies you would read where i said everybody is different and everybody has there limits for you or anyone else if your limit is 50,60, 70, whatever it may be then practice and get as good as you possibly can and stay within you limit im not saying every tom ##### and harry should go out and shoot at 100+ yards cause a big % of us could never make that shot, but there are a few who can and more power to them i wish i was one of them that could shoot accurate time and time again at those distances. so just because your distance may vary from someone else doesnt mean you hace to bash someo one for there ability, thats what those guys do its how they practice its how they hunt and its how they get the job done time and again

one in the air is worthten in the quiver

THE A TEAM

sixthtine-

With all due respect your tagline tells me all I need to know about the maturity of your views on this subject....

Hey sixgunn...I think you mean "good point utahheadgear"!! Haha...I'm staying out of this can o' worms. :)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 01:59PM (MST)[p]explain????

THE A TEAM

the POINT is they should not shoot that far because they proved they cannot do it. once again proof is in the pudding

Yes I meant good point Utahheadgear. Sorry Taylor, you guys are brothers after all.

"One in the air is worth ten in the quiver."

>Yes I meant good point Utahheadgear.
>Sorry Taylor, you guys are
>brothers after all.

Haha! Yup!

i knew you would love that... if your so mature lets hear your thoughts on this

THE A TEAM

BB's posts (#12 & #65) sum up my thoughts pretty well.

The longer the arrow is in the air the more comes into play. How do you know you even have the kenetic energy downrange to kill something at 80,90,100? I'd love to hear how you caluculate this.

I look back to the days when bowhunting required an increased level of dedication to master the art of archery and then even more time to master the woodsmanship and hunting skills needed to get a 20 yard or closer shot. As time passed we have traded the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment earned from all those hours, days months and years of preparation and practice for the instant gratification of proficiency gained by technology. We throw away being able to be proud of taking an animal,regardless of size or sex, and now feel the only measure of success is gauged in inches......People have lost sight of the fact real success is gained in the journey ..... Reaching the goal is just icing on the cake...... You boys are cheating yourselves and you don't even know it...... Terry

AZStickman,

You may be taking it a bit far there. Just as you find satisfaction in getting close and honing your traditional archery skills, I find the same in fine tuning my modern archery setup and increasing my accuracy in order to increase my chances of success. Like I said before the problem here isn't equipment, shot distance, or anything else. The problem is a lack of integrity and being honest enough to admite when the shot it to far for YOU PERSONALLY, regardless of the shot someone else may or may not be able to pull off.

>The longer the arrow is in
>the air the more comes
>into play. How do you
>know you even have the
>kenetic energy downrange to kill
>something at 80,90,100? I'd
>love to hear how you
>caluculate this.

Try this website or Archers Advantage. It will give you kinetic energy.

Archers advantage give kinetic energy downrange. with a 400 Grain Arrow at 100 yards and 300 fps out the bow you will be shooting enough KE to kill an elk or a deer. Deer for sure past 100 yards you only need about 45 lbs of KE to kill a deer.

http://www.archeryhq.com/kin.htm

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 03:59PM (MST)[p]Back to the KE deal. Lets just say you have a long draw length 32'' you are going to have one hell of a heavy arrow. I currently shoot 30.5 inch draw length with a 425 grain arrow and shoot around 90 lbs of ke out the bow.

so if you have a 500+ grain arrow and you are able to squeek 298 fps your ke will be over 100 lbs of KE. down range at 100 yards you should still be around 60 lbs wich is plenty to kill a deer or any other midsized game

seeing you only need 40# to kill a deer,a 400 grain arrow at 315fps thats 89 out of the bow and im pretty sure you dont loose 50 lbs of KE at a 100 yards, but here is the equation for ya

ke=M * v2 / 450

ke=Kinetic Energy M = mass (weight of arrow in grains) v = velocity of arrow in f.p.s

THE A TEAM

I know how to calculate KE, I was talking about calculating it downrange. (thanks for the "lesson" though)

archers advantage will tell you down range energy

THE A TEAM

Today's modern bows produce speeds and energy that is more than enough get pass through penetration at 80 plus yards. My current setup shoots a 375 grain arrow at 315 fps and generates 82 lbs. of kinetic energy. According to the Archer's Advantage program, at 80 yards it is still travelling 270 fps and generating 60 lbs. of kinetic energy......plenty....In fact I have more energy at 80 yards that a lot of bows do at point blank range.

My point is still the same. Enough energy is also not the issue here.......

At the end of the day we all go with the same goal in mind, and that is to harvest the chosen animal of our choice. Alot of times the things we see and do while in persuit of the trophy will be between us, the people we are with or maybe a select few that we might share the 'true experiences with'. The key word is true. I was taught that if you want to test a mans integrity, put a bull elk in front of him. As I have thought about that I have come to know that people are often times willing take that shot that they shouldnt, and all for what the bragging rights.
I have seen some bad placed shots at close range by guys who practice alot within there range. That tells that anything is possible while hunting and to go out willing to take that long range shot and not work a little harder to close the distance scares me. And all for what? So your buddies and you can laugh and come up with nick names like "Luanch". Its sad day when people no longer value Fair chase but care more about having kills on there video. Now I know some people dont like Primos but there something to said about passing up that 15 yard 1/4 to you shot on a trophy of a lifetime because the angle wasnt right, that my friends would be tuff, but i like to think that If I was in that possition that I to would be the man to pass up that 15 yard 1/4 to shot.
It comes down to Integrity. Most of the time know one will ever know if we stuck and didnt retrieve the animal (integrity). I am glad so many people still Integrity and are willing to the right thing in the tuff spot. Thanks for all your good input.

>When it comes down to it
>we all have our freedom
>of speech, as they are
>intitled to that so am
>I. And I STRONGLY disagree
>and am discusted with the
>stuff they produce. In my
>mind it is no different
>then if I started introducing
>a little 'porn' in my
>videos to help sell my
>crappy product. It doesnt make
>it right.
>
>But I guess if you practice
>enuf you can take ANY
>shot at ANY time in
>ANY conditions!!!

If you were so offended by the first video, why did you watch all 3?

Because of all the hype about there videos and I was told That they got better. Which they did only because the first shot on the first video hit the deer in the back leg.
Second, have you ever watched a chick flick only because it was the cool thing to do, or because your girl expected you to? That pretty much says it all.

>I look back to the days
>when bowhunting required an increased
>level of dedication to master
>the art of archery and
>then even more time to
>master the woodsmanship and hunting
>skills needed to get a
>20 yard or closer shot.
>As time passed we have
>traded the satisfaction and sense
>of accomplishment earned from all
>those hours, days months and
>years of preparation and practice
>for the instant gratification of
>proficiency gained by technology. We
>throw away being able to
>be proud of taking an
>animal,regardless of size or sex,
>and now feel the only
>measure of success is gauged
>in inches......People have lost sight
>of the fact real success
>is gained in the journey
>..... Reaching the goal is
>just icing on the cake......
>You boys are cheating yourselves
>and you don't even know
>it...... Terry

Very well said..

This FMP deal is really big talk these days they shot some great bucks i'll give em that but the whole spining,far back ,through the neck and calling it a well placed shot is a little bit retarded. And leave out the whole caddilac scene and jumpin fences and workin on jeeps and team meetings shold be left out . And the yoga guy in the first video or what ever it is shouldn't be in a huntin video. Maybe FMP should watch a proffesional video like a tines up or muley crazy video. And lose the visors to they look gay. Oh and put some real music on your videos next time like godsmack or metallica something to pump your audience up not something that'll make em wanna do drugs.

Haha this is funny, I think you guys are just jealous, I'll take 100 yard shots all day with my hoyt and surloc if a big ol buck is standing there looking at me.....practice how you shoot is the way i look at it. If i remember right there was a 120 yard shot at the ##### at the bird last yard on like a 40 degree slop so you shot for like 90! cant wait for this year and the premier of fmp....July 10th! Practice up boys!

There trying to be different, why make the same old video as everyone else is making? Its something different for a change. I love there movies. That's all i can watch now. everyone has there opinion i guess but don't sit on here and bad mouth them cause there hunting fools and kill big deer with there bows...enough said.

I have not ever heard this topic on MM before! What is all the excitement about? People take long shots and some guys don't like????? Thats weird! Must be winter time again

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

You are spot on Muleykiller!! if we were hunting 20 years ago sure but dont tell me with todays equipment and having honed skills that longer shots are unethical. Why are bow companies making faster bows? Arrows with deeper penitration? Expandable broadheads that fly like field points? Etc.? To blow further a deer or elk at 20,30,40 yards??? Its where the sport is going along with rifle and muzelloader hunting. No one tells you to take a long shot its up to you to know your limits and efective range whatever it is. If you want to hunt with a stick, string and a arrowhead made of stone SWEET! Props to you, but dont tell me what I should be doing and bashing people that are Very good at what they do.

Turning live game in to 3-D targets!!!! IDIOTS!!!

BUY A RIFLE

Wiley,
I am nominating that for post of the
century on Monster Muleys!

Your are spot on.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom