Idaho Muzzie Tag

Digitata

Good morning. I could use a bit of help from the kind folks here. I just found out last night that I drew for a south central unit in Idaho. I honestly didn't think I would draw and I have to admit I am unprepared. I have a fairly demanding job, plus one of my colleagues will be out on paternity leave so I probably will not be able to hunt the entire 14 day season. This will also be my first mule deer hunt. I have the gear I will need, just not the experience.

I would like to avoid hiring an outfitter as it would appear that options are small and the price is bigly. But I also understand the value of this tag and don't want to waste it due to being out of my depths. I do hunt hard and am a quick learner. Do you guys think I should be okay DIY or would you recommend an outfitter. My goal is to get the most experience I can out of this tag. I obviously would love to tag a trophy but right now I just want to avoid getting skunked. I would also entertain hiring a local guide. If I could find someone local who really knows the unit.

It would appear that there is plenty of public land.

Would the best strategy be to find glassing positions on the elevated flats overlooking ravines with water in the bottom?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
I edited out the specific unit number as apparently that gets people fired up. One of my two questions is unit specific however and I would appreciate someone discussing in private. Not asking for specific locations but mainly if the unit is DIY friendly.

Definitely finding good glassing points and being there before daylight is a top choice of many. First light is when you'll have the best chance of spotting an old buck. You can use Google Earth to identify points that look promising. If you're unable to scout however, you won't know if they're good glassing spots or not until you get there and begin looking.

The advantage of an outfitter is he knows the country, or at least he should. Those tags are extremely hard to draw.

With your limited knowledge of the unit, and being your first muley hunt, you may want to bite the bullet and hire an outfitter. It could take a while to find a decent buck, and it sounds like you have limited time. Money comes and goes. Founder says it best, and his words are worth heeding. Especially the part about not knowing whether a glassing spot is good until you get there. That alone could take a few precious hunting days. Of course, you could always get lucky...

Don't regret making the wrong decision after the hunt. If you prefer DIY, go for it! No regrets if you fail!! Enjoy the hunt for what it is. A hunt. Not necessarily a kill!

It's possible to find someone who will give you some inside info, but highly doubtful. Good luck!

One more thing: We'll need a report on your hunt, please. Many times, new guys will not report back after getting info from folks on this site. Don't be THAT GUY!

Thanks, I put in a website inquiry and a phone call message to the only outfitter I could find on the web and haven’t received a response in about a week now. So looks like I will be DIY. I booked a flight leaving Friday to get two days of scouting in just to familiarize myself with that part of the world. Gonna be hell on Monday at work.

I was able to get two weeks so my plan is to fly out Friday before season starts (gives me 3 days scouting) and hunt until I have to come back which is 12 days of hunting. I will loose the last two days.

Initially, I was thinking of camping part of the hunt but checking the average temps, looks like the daily lows in oct are at freezing temps. So, I guess I will need a hotel.

I've got a muzzy deer tag around the same time frame.
The last time I hunted the central part of the state
it got down in the teens at night/morning. (MId Oct).
I plan on a combination of vehicle/backpack camping
and hotel if needed. 9 days of hunting.
Good Luck.

Go have fun. You'll make some mistakes and learn some. Sounds like you aren't local, but able to drive in. Cover ground, glass, ask others for help that you see in the unit. Most hunters are awesome. You probably won't shoot a monster, but first buck should be a 2 point!!

I’m in North Carolina o_O. I’m already learning a lot about the logistics of hunting with a muzzleloader 2000+ miles from home. This is trickier than packing my modern guns in a case and getting on a plane. Driving solo isn’t an option due to time lost so, I am fumbling through.

I called to local G&F office to ask about the roads. They haven’t responded. Are there any helpful hints to keep me off the private land owners list of out of state 💩 heads? I assume any maintained roads are public right of way. What about dirt roads and two tracks?

I’m going to kill something, it may just be a bunch of time. Dinks get a pass. I’ve been reading up on field judging muleys. Looks like the dinks and giants are pretty easy for a person with working vision. The 150-170” range seems like it could be tricky for a novice such as myself.

I’m in North Carolina o_O. I’m already learning a lot about the logistics of hunting with a muzzleloader 2000+ miles from home. This is trickier than packing my modern guns in a case and getting on a plane. Driving solo isn’t an option due to time lost so, I am fumbling through.

I called to local G&F office to ask about the roads. They haven’t responded. Are there any helpful hints to keep me off the private land owners list of out of state 💩 heads? I assume any maintained roads are public right of way. What about dirt roads and two tracks?
My muzzy tag will be my first out of state muzzleloader hunt.
Looks like I'm going to have to order some powder and caps to send to my BIL in Boise.
Forbidden on the plane, even in checked bags.

Good morning. I could use a bit of help from the kind folks here. I just found out last night that I drew for a south central unit in Idaho. I honestly didn't think I would draw and I have to admit I am unprepared. I have a fairly demanding job, plus one of my colleagues will be out on paternity leave so I probably will not be able to hunt the entire 14 day season. This will also be my first mule deer hunt. I have the gear I will need, just not the experience.

I would like to avoid hiring an outfitter as it would appear that options are small and the price is bigly. But I also understand the value of this tag and don't want to waste it due to being out of my depths. I do hunt hard and am a quick learner. Do you guys think I should be okay DIY or would you recommend an outfitter. My goal is to get the most experience I can out of this tag. I obviously would love to tag a trophy but right now I just want to avoid getting skunked. I would also entertain hiring a local guide. If I could find someone local who really knows the unit.

It would appear that there is plenty of public land.

Would the best strategy be to find glassing positions on the elevated flats overlooking ravines with water in the bottom?

Thanks for any assistance.
Probably want to start off checking the flight restrictions on flying with a muzzy I have heard that most airlines do NOT allow any powder or caps in carry-ons or checked baggage !! Could be a Huge problem finding what you are using now 2000 miles across the country !!

Probably want to start off checking the flight restrictions on flying with a muzzy I have heard that most airlines do NOT allow any powder or caps in carry-ons or checked baggage !! Could be a Huge problem finding what you are using now 2000 miles across the country !!
That’s true - no caps or powder on commercial airlines. You have to get it locally wherever you’re hunting.

Get OnX

Yes, you are correct, you can’t even ship them to yourself ground without a hazmat approval. I found a local source with some major help from a member here. So far this forum members are making it work.

I’m not an expert but my recent research tells me no. You can ship hazmat material through UPS ground and fedex ground. However, you have to have a hazmat approval which I believe is some sort of permit. If I am wrong someone please correct me. I searched high and low and most of the info I read came from muzzleloader forums. The easiest thing will be to get your BIL to go to a local store and pick some up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom