Idaho Muzzie Tag

Digitata

Good morning. I could use a bit of help from the kind folks here. I just found out last night that I drew for a south central unit in Idaho. I honestly didn't think I would draw and I have to admit I am unprepared. I have a fairly demanding job, plus one of my colleagues will be out on paternity leave so I probably will not be able to hunt the entire 14 day season. This will also be my first mule deer hunt. I have the gear I will need, just not the experience.

I would like to avoid hiring an outfitter as it would appear that options are small and the price is bigly. But I also understand the value of this tag and don't want to waste it due to being out of my depths. I do hunt hard and am a quick learner. Do you guys think I should be okay DIY or would you recommend an outfitter. My goal is to get the most experience I can out of this tag. I obviously would love to tag a trophy but right now I just want to avoid getting skunked. I would also entertain hiring a local guide. If I could find someone local who really knows the unit.

It would appear that there is plenty of public land.

Would the best strategy be to find glassing positions on the elevated flats overlooking ravines with water in the bottom?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
I edited out the specific unit number as apparently that gets people fired up. One of my two questions is unit specific however and I would appreciate someone discussing in private. Not asking for specific locations but mainly if the unit is DIY friendly.

Definitely finding good glassing points and being there before daylight is a top choice of many. First light is when you'll have the best chance of spotting an old buck. You can use Google Earth to identify points that look promising. If you're unable to scout however, you won't know if they're good glassing spots or not until you get there and begin looking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom