Group Application Bonus Point Averaging

javihammer

Will be submitting to the Arizona Game Commission this morning. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

RE: Proposal to Change Group Application Bonus Point Averaging

Hello Commissioner,

I attended a Commission Meeting earlier this year and was encouraged to write-up my proposal. Thank you for your consideration.

There have been some peripheral changes to the draw process over the years. Each of these changes is small on it's own but combine to open the door ever wider to bonus point abuse. Here are some of the changes I believe to have propagated bonus point banking abuse in Arizona.

? The 20% bonus point pass for people in the highest bonus point pools. This turned some units into de-facto preference point units and guarantees that people that fall into certain point pools will be drawn in a given year

? Draw applications via credit card. This allows people to apply on borrowed money rather than fronting the full cost of the tag like they used to. Cheap to submit applications for non-hunters.

? Online applications and hunting licenses. Allows tag services and third parties to submit applications for non-hunters, no signature or knowledge of the draw process is required.

? The ?bonus point only? option. This option allows a person to apply for a bonus point only, this is not only cheaper but allows an applicant to collect points without the risk of actually needing to be physically capable of going on the hunt.

? The ?sign the tag over to a youth? option. This provides an "out" for a non-hunting grandparent, mother or other individual that may have been used to up the average on a group application. For example: The father has two bonus points, Mother had 11. They applied together (group app has 7 points average) and drew a mid-grade early archery bull hunt. Mom (a non-hunter) signs the tag over to the son and Dad and son hunt that year and go into the drawing the next year with the same number of bonus points as this year.

? Reduced price youth licenses for non-resident and resident youth. Allows youth to collect up to seven bonus points for a species for less than the cost of one adult non-resident hunting license.

The problem with point banking

Although all hunters point bank to some degree, the real problem is when hunters use other hunters (usually non-hunters) to reserve their spot in line. Hunting tags in Arizona are generally not transferable but bonus points are somewhat transferable if someone with low points applies on a group application with someone with high points. There are several hunting units in Arizona (unit 18b is one) that allow some wealthy hunters a guaranteed tag every year as long as they have high bonus point co-applicant to apply with. This isn't fair to other hunters that have been on the sideline for a half dozen years or more waiting for their turn. I can see outfitting companies ?farming? youth co-applicants that can be used later to lock in tags for wealthy co-applicants. If an outfitter could build a large enough base of point donors, they could almost guarantee their own small tag allocation for a given hunt in some cases. This combined with private land leases could be a huge mess in the near future.

My simple solution to combat point banking abuse

I propose a cap be placed on how many points a group application can have based on the lowest point applicant. Under my proposal, the average on a group application should never be higher than 3 points more than the applicant with the fewest bonus points. Here are some examples.

Applicant A has 11 points, Applicant B has 2 points (he hunted last year and only has his hunter education and loyalty points). Under the current rules the application would have 13 points divided by two (6.5) rounded up to 7 points. The group application would have 7 points, enough to lock in a low to mid-grade bull tag in the 20% bonus pass for some hunts. A guaranteed tag for both guys in some cases.

Under my proposal the group application would have 5 points. Since applicant B has 2 points and the maximum benefit is 3, the total points on the group application is 5. This is probably insufficient to pull a bull tag in the bonus round for anything other than a limited opportunity or cow hunt. Applicant B is no longer guaranteed a tag every year. He might even allow his wife and kids to apply separately in the future in order maximize the value of their points. Or he may decide to pull them out of the draw completely. If they aren't actual hunters they probably aren't buying things that contribute to Pittman Robertson funds anyway.

Benefits of my proposal

o Everyone keeps their points, and points remain full value as long as they aren't being disproportionately shared on a group application
o Reduces the incentive for people and outfitters to apply non-hunters in the big game draw
o Ensures youth are put into the draw to hunt, not just as point donors for co-applicants
o Eliminates guaranteed tags for some hunts
o Spreads hunt opportunity more evenly thereby improving hunter retention
o Nips the point abuse problem in the butt early before it becomes a bigger problem later (or used as leverage for actual landowner tags in the future)

Two responses in the first hour posted, kind of validates my feeling that there needs to be a solution to this...touched a nerve I guess....wonder why?

Guessing you guys have very few points for elk or deer and a buddy or two with a fist full of points. Why don't you show up to a meeting and argue your case, I plan to. Never scared to argue for something that makes sense. Would rather be ahead of the curve than behind it.

Ryan

why would you want to eliminate guaranteed tags? that's stupid. if you've earned it, you've earned it. why punish the faithful? that's worse than stupid.

why not allow to put in for a bonus point? some years you just can't hunt. sometimes a baby is coming, job change, traveling, out of the country, etc. this is terrible. oh, yeah, i just love to fork out more money to game and fish. they agency that wasted 1 million of our dollars this year. yes, we should have to front money for tags so they have more money to blow. yeah right. you're just making it more expensive to hunt, and it's already ridiculously expensive.

why take bonus points away from kids? kids cant hunt some years because of school activities. so punish them by saying they either have to hunt or cant put in? idiocy.

sounds like you have a little tag jealousy going on.

what's wrong with signing a tag over to youth?

mom can build up bonus points so when the kid turns 10 he can get a good tag? what's wrong with that?

jealous becuase you didn't get drawn?

come on man, give it a rest and let the kids hunt.

bojangles

You didn't read my post all the way. I am simply proposing a cap on the benefit that a person can receive by applying on a group application. The changes I listed were simply to provide background about how things have changed over the past 20 years bonus points have been in existence. I am not being critical of these changes per se, only noting that these changes open the door for a whole lot more bonus point sharing....which is really bad for future hunt opportunity and point creep.

Touched a nerve? yea, every year we see a new draw scheme to keep the other guy from getting a tag. Who cares if a guy has no money and uses a credit card, how he pays is none of our business. I certainly see no problem with some guy combining his 20 points with his kids 5 so they can finally go hunt together.

If I was a commission member, the first question would be...

Do you have evidence of how many times all these "abuses" are taking place?

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Ryan... You and I have had several very long conversations in the last few yrs. I am very aware of your agenda...As with most of your ideas you will get little to no support for this...It's unfortunate you dont put your time and energy into wildlife projects that can and will make a difference in this state. A great deal of time and effort goes into the draw process and all the rules that encompass it. Game and fish reviews it yearly and is very aware of point creep and several other issues. I can assure you there are a few changes on the horizon. most benefit non res......No process is 100 percent perfect what benefits one group angers another....What we have seems to be the most fair for ALL groups....I spend a great deal of time in other western states and most if not all sportsman and the wildlife orgs wish they had the same system we have....Dave

Like said already what is wrong with giving a youth a tag? I also plan on banking my points so when my daughter and nephew are old enough we can all get a hunt together. Its my money and my points if I want to put in with a lower point holder so be it

I don't think we want the AZGFD having to police who we as hunters choose to apply with on our applications. The only way any scheme designed to monitor applicant combinations works that doesn't, in some perceived way, discriminate against any particular group would be to eliminate group apps altogether. Who we choose to hunt with-whether family, friends, or someone befriended in an internet discussion forum or paired up with by an outfitter, so long as the applicants are all legally entitled to apply-shouldn't be something dictated to the individual or group by the Department.

We should be encouraging the strengthening of familial bonds fostered by family and friend groups hunting together, not cooking up proposals to prevent them or make them tougher to acheive.

My guess is the occurrance of the alleged circumstances is a statistically insignificant number when compared to the total number or applicants and accumulated Bonus Points in the current system.

Let's work on getting a tag up for grabs to every nonresident applicant despite their
r bonus point total in some of the North of the Colorado River deer hunts where currently they can't draw unless they are in the max point group in the 20% pass.

My thoughts anyway,
Jim Rich

Please don't come up with any proposals in the future, if u have a problem with parents/grandparents donating a tag to their kids any future point is invalid...judging from your suggestions I'm guessing no other respectable woman ever wanted to bear a child with you and this has lead you to become jealous of others who enjoy hunting with their kids.

Dave,
Your name is not ringing a bell with me. Have we met? Who are you with? send me an IM if you want. As for your suggestion that I stay quiet until I have earned the right to speak, I humbly disagree. As for knowing my agenda, please explain, I am not even aware I had a set agenda. I just flush the turds when I smell them.

I posted this out here today as kind of a test. People seem to be hung up on the youth tag thing. I have 3 youths of my own and I have had them in the field with me shortly after they all learned to walk. I embrace youth opportunity. My kids are a bit young but I will make sure they hunt every chance they can get. Inexpensive youth tags and sign over capabilities are not evil, but they do change the game a bit. When the game changes rules should be reviewed. Who knows, maybe group point averaging is already being reviewed, if so great!

My point averaging cap suggestion would not hurt kids one bit. It wouldn't hurt families that hunt together. It wouldn't hurt buddies that apply together every year. It wouldn't penalize individuals holding out for premium once in a lifetime tags. The only people impacted would be those that hop from application to application every year to improve their own draw chances by averaging up their application on the backs of others. Kids, Wives, Grandparents, Friends are should not be used as a line of credit for bonus points. The current bonus point averaging process amounts to a loophole in my opinion. I agree, the Arizona Game and Fish department does an awesome job and are the envy of the West. If they weren't smart and reasonable I wouldn't bother to share my thoughts with them. That said, a little tweaking and cleanup never hurts.

I posted this on a website loaded with informed hunters that know these draw nuances in and out. That said, there has not been one counterpoint against my proposal. Just personal attacks or attempts to divert.

Outdoor Writer - The Arizona Game and Fish Department has the data, or will soon have the data to validate this. Common sense suggests that when you steeply discount a product to one group and have few controls in place to regulate the transfer to other groups, unintended consequences can happen.

Ryan

I don't think the system is being utilized (your word would be abused) in this manner as much as you or many others think. Almost everyone that has lived in AZ very long or applies for big game knows that doing all of that is possible, but most of the time nobody really does it. Nobody I know personally actively does any of these tactics. Plus, you are going to have a hard fight trying to decrease youth hunting opportunity lol.

javi:

I'll give you a reply that gives some perspective to your "cap the average to 3 points above the lowest" idea; perspective you may not have considered in your worry about this rampant "abuse."

My son has been applying in Arizona since he was allowed. So have I, pretty much annually since moving away in the 80's, missing only a couple years. I came down and took the hunter ed class, which is probably a bigger problem to point creep.

Last year, my son and I were able to enjoy a hunt in your great state, as non-residents. Six years of high school, four years of college, and his first two years of work, kept him from using the Arizona points he built, until last year.

I had hunted Arizona in past years, having got lucky in draws. My points were at two. His were at 13. We did a party app and drew in the 20% pass.

You are saying that his points, that we paid for (at the price of his 6 non-resident youth licenses and 7 non-resident full price licenses), should not be allowed to use as he sees fit. When you add all of our license fees to accumulate those points, the bonus point fees, and the NR tag fees of that hunt, the cost was well over $2,000 to AZ G&F. All so he could join his old man on a late rifle elk hunt. And you want to restrict how he could use his points.

He didn't want to hunt without me there and having a tag to hunt with him. He was willing to step down from some really good hunts that he could have had with his point total, because he would rather have hunted a lesser unit and enjoy it with his father. In doing that, he reduced the point creep in some unit with higher demand and requiring higher point totals.

Simple math says if someone steps down to a lesser hunt, that helps someone who has higher point totals and leaves a higher demand tag for some other person. Help me understand the negative of my son walking away from a really good archery tag, just so he could have a late rifle hunt with me?

Seems like some other hunter is going to get a cool archery hunt sooner than he/she otherwise would have, because my son is no longer at that high point total and in applying with me, walked away from his chance for a great archery tag. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Hardly sounds like an abusive situation. Maybe I a missing what is creating such abuse. Maybe you think my son and I applying as we did and him walking away from a great archery hunt is abuse of the system.

If you propose to limit how NRs spend their points, whether by themselves, or in a party, do you intend to refund all the license fees and bonus point fees these NRs incurred to build those points, that might then be restricted in their use to "no more than 3 above the lowest?" I doubt it.

My son has a lot of antelope and deer points in AZ. When his work schedule allows, I suspect he will use them in a party app with his old man. Unless, you get your rule passed.

I went to college in AZ. I have hunted there almost every year after leaving, whether for quail, or when I draw big game tags (7 times), or as happened again this year, when a friend drew a tag and I went down to help him (4 times). Some guys know that I have a lot of experience in AZ, so I get plenty of offers to party app with other NRs who can benefit from what I might have learned in the course of my AZ hunts. I know a lot of other NRs who spend much time in AZ, either on their own hunts or helping others. I suspect their experience gets them some invites to party apps, also.

You think it would be bad if a friend wanted me to party app with him and help him get an elk, even if it was a lesser unit than he could have drawn with his points? Again, if he does that, some guy is going to get a better tag because my friend walked away from it and did a party app with me in a lower-demand unit.

I have offered to share my AZ deer points with some guys this year. I have more than I need for the hunt I want. If I would rather enjoy the hunt with friends, it seems I should be allowed to use these points (that I paid a lot of money for), in any manner I see fit. If that means I settle for a lesser deer unit, rather than eventually adding to the point creep of one of the glory units, seems like that helps the guys who I would compete with for higher-demand hunts.

Better get my app in before the deadline.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

I agree with all the posts so far except those of javi- the op. Az has one of the best draw/ Bp set ups of any western state. There is a lot of demand on a very limited resource and Arizona does it well in my opinion. I am a resident and I agree with one of the other posters that non residents should have a shot at our premium deer units north of the ditch as it stands they can't draw without MAX points, due to the 20% pass and 10% non resident cap. We should have a couple tags for each unit pulled out available to those without max points for non residents, so everyone has a chance no matter how small that chance maybe. I am not lucky in the draws. I had max points to draw my antelope tag here in 2010, I had almost max points to draw my strip tag, but I do like the fact that I still have a shot at a great tag no matter how many bonus points I have. My wife has tons of elk points and has been waiting for a premium tag for 20 years. My son turned in for the same hunt my wife wants and drew it last year with just 2 points. That's what I like about our system, eventually you will get the tag you want or you may get lucky and draw earlier rather than later.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-14 AT 11:31AM (MST)[p]I really regret all those years I spent giving out bubblegum to the little girls at the playground. I should have been enrolling them in hunters ed so I could hunt the Strip every year after my unit 9 archery elk hunt. I squandered my youthful years between the ages of 40 and 60.

Fin, there you go making sense again.

This proposal will never see the light of day and if it does the public comment will revival the outcry of HB2072.

One change I would make is to allow non-residents up to 20% with no more than 10% being allocated in the bonus point pass. My 2 cents as a resident :)

"One change I would make is to allow non-residents up to 20% with no more than 10% being allocated in the bonus point pass. My 2 cents as a resident"

Ditto

Thanks to all for the feedback. Big Fin makes some good points and I usually agree with him on things but we do have some divergent views in this case. One of the questions he asked was whether I thought there was a problem with a guy party apping with another guy for a lesser unit. I do have a problem with that. If the big point man brings the low point man into the 20% pass for a lesser unit he is still displacing guys that have waited 3-5 years for that lesser unit in some cases. Who knows if the guy that was displaced will have an opportunity to hunt again the next year, life is full of health and financial surprises.

I wouldn't show up to Cabelas on black Friday and ask a buddy to let me cut in front of him in line, the people behind him would be livid. Waiting in line shouldn't be a popularity contest. Why is it any less jerky to cut in a virtual line than in a physical line? Maybe cutting in front of others is okay as long as people didn't know it happened...

I am sure someone is working on a matchmaking service for hunting as we speak. I can just see it now, couple looking for a third person to hunt elk, he is 6'1 200 pounds, a Scorpio and has 5 AZ elk points, she is a Sagitarrius, 5'2, BLONDE, 120 pounds and enjoys shopping, trips to Paris and light hiking, she has 15 points for elk in AZ. Looking for a partner age 20-30 with a strong back, 2 drones, an F250, thermal camera and caping skills. Must apply with us for unit 1 rifle bull, must send a selfie picture and trail camera photos of 350+ bulls.

I used to be part of a business that purchased the list of successful draw applicants from AZGFD every year. One thing I always thought peculiar was that the same magazine hunters drew tags from year to year. Was it luck? I doubt it. I believe the data was sorted by tag number so it was pretty easy to see who came through in the bonus pass. This was back when all hunting licenses were expensive, paper applications were onerous, land access fees were rare and applying for a hunt meant you might actually need to hunt. Now that it has become easier to create proxy applicants I am sure the people employing this strategy has also increased.

I will concede that my point cap proposal has some bugs and isn't ready for prime time. I did not follow through and submit it to the Commission, the idea needs work. That said, we are going to have a mess in a few years with proxy applicants if we don't do something. Leaving the door wide open to this is very short-sighted in my opinion. When everyone takes advantage of a loophole it no longer becomes an advantage anymore and suddenly becomes a hurdle. I believe the public is better off with fewer hurdles, not more.

akamissedagain - As a resident I do not like your 20% idea. As a resident do you care to explain why? I do think there needs to be a few tags for non-residents outside the bonus pass round in the primo units, I think I heard AZGFD is looking into it. I think there are ways to do this without changing the current allocation.

CodyLee1985 - thanks for the kind words, I was able to beat the odds and find a female for breedin'. I suspect she may have married me for my looks rather than my intellect. I am training my oldest son to be a pain in the ass too, he is coming along great!

Okay, my breedin' partner asked me to go outside and grill some meat for the family. The high in Phoenix dropped below 70 degrees for the first time this week so I need to find a warmer pair of flip flops and put a shirt on....hate this cold weather

Peace

Ryan

I'm all for ditching the 20% bonus pass and getting to more of a random draw like NV. The 20% essentially makes AZ like CO's preference points. We all know it is impossible to EVER get a tag for one of the NW elk/deer units without max points. These "max point" systems sound equitable on the surface as it rewards those who apply the longest, but they also prevent many folks new to hunting and young hunters from possibly ever getting a tag.

Increasing the NR tags to 20% with 10% going into the bonus point pass is a good start.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-14 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-14 AT 09:43?AM (MST)

I bet you voted for Obama. That was a complete waste of time reading your initial post, and I hope G&F laughs and throws it in the trash. Which I am quite certain they will.

If all non-residents want a shot at our premium hunts, I'm in favor of having all nonresidents vote on how they want their 10% cap tags allocated:) My suggestions as a resident: 8% of the cap to go in the 20% draw pass and the remaining 2% of their cap in the bonus pass rounds. That way everyone really would have SOME shot, and it would actually increase the number of nonresidents applying by some degree, because they could always win the lottery and you don't have to have MAX.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-14
>AT 09:46?AM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-14
>AT 09:43?AM (MST)

>
>I bet you voted for Obama.
> That was a complete
>waste of time reading your
>initial post, and I hope
>G&F laughs and throws it
>in the trash. Which
>I am quite certain they
>will.

I must be an Obama voter...classic...and way wrong. Sorry you felt my post was a waste of time, judging by the depth of thought you put in your reply you probably could have solved for world peace or global warming in the five seconds you took to scan this thread. What a sad loss for society.

On a more serious note. Do you really think commercial interests that push for these changes care about the long term viability of the big game draw? Or you? Or me? Many of these groups view DIY hunters and a public lottery as a wasted opportunity. Point creep actually furthers their interests because it creates desperation that pushes people into channels the brokers can collect a transaction fee from like auctions and private land. The state of Utah is a poster child for this worst case scenario. Getting a handle on the point sharing problem now will make things a whole lot better for you in the future if you are DIY.

Still haven't heard from Booter96 - I checked and I am pretty sure we have never met. I cannot remember your name, was it Dave? I don't think it was you that posted that anyway. I think I know who it was though, pretty weak.

Ryan

Ryan..We have met and had several conversations..As far as hearing from me...No use in it you and I will never agree on anything..In one from or another I have spent the last 35 yrs working with and for every wildlife org in the state and the game and fish dept...I choose to spend my time trying to help the sportsmen of this state...The last time we spoke you were off to form/ join a wildlife group that was going to change the world....Hows that working out for you....it's still the same groups that have been here for yrs doing the same work.... I would assume you thought it was John that posted the reply..WRONG again....Dave [email protected]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-14 AT 10:08AM (MST)[p]Javihunter it didn't take me much thought to see how inept your way of thinking is and yes I read through the entire thread. You amount to nothing more than a person with the entitlement mindset. Reading booter96's last post, it seems you have a long history of uneducated decisions and think the great state of Arizona OWES YOU something. Guess what if you don't like the draw or bonus point process then don't apply!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-14 AT 05:54PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-14 AT 05:52?PM (MST)

I may be the only back up you have. I know a few guys that buy tags for their neighbors kids just for the reason you are talking about. I also know many who buy the wife points and the wives would never hunt. Call it abuse if you want, the G&F still gets the money though.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-14
>AT 05:54?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-14
>AT 05:52?PM (MST)

>
>I may be the only back
>up you have. I know
>a few guys that buy
>tags for their neighbors kids
>just for the reason you
>are talking about. I also
>know many who buy the
>wife points and the wives
>would never hunt. Call it
>abuse if you want, the
>G&F still gets the money
>though.

Thanks for crawling into the lions den. I also agree that many imperfect processes in life are tolerated because the perceived benefit seems to justify the cost (in this case reduced opportunity for some and increased opportunity for others for a nominal increase in department revenue). Until recently the point farming strategy required considerable work and expense, this is no longer the case. The number of bonus point only applications for youth are going to go way up this year, especially for non-residents. If the youth were to use all of those cheap points themselves as youth, I could understand it. I just don't understand the idea that we should allow these points to be carried into adulthood so that they can be shared with adults looking to squeak into mid-tier units.

In 10 years there will be a crop of point donors sprouting like corn and ready to "party app" with strangers for a price. These donors wont be hunters, just warm bodies that met the age requirements to pickup cheap points. Not good for the long term health of the public draw system. It also wont be good for hunter retention and future game revenues because when people feel the process is no longer fair they will drop out of the game completely. If guys think they are going to rake in the blue light special this year and ride these points into perpetuity, they are fooling themselves. Group Application point averaging has no option but to change or the entire process will fail. This is also going to skew the curve for non-resident interest, I have no doubt that someone is going to use these new bonus point only youth applicants to support a "look how many more non-residents want to hunt Arizona". They will use these shadow applicants to try to justify higher non-resident tag allocations. This whole thing is full of warts.

Booter96 - You asked about my group affiliation. I am part of the largest group in Arizona, it is called "the unaffiliated". We meet-up a couple times a year when some affiliated groups push for bad legislation. Our theme last year was "premium pricing", the year before it was "expos and conventions". We are a diverse group of independent thinkers that prefer to get our tags directly from AZGFD and hunt DIY. We realize this provides little revenue for tag brokers and we really like it that way. Since you mentioned my agenda and seem to have some animosity for me, here are some quotes that might provide some insight into my motives.

The big print giveth, and the fine print taketh away.
Fulton J. Sheen

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.
John Wayne

Trust, but verify.
Ronald Reagan

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

Cheers,
Ryan

So the NR hunter is buying a license and points for others for 15 years or more, so 15 years later he can hunt with them with a point or 2 in his name?
That should help the F&G budget get fat. LOL
Maybe it only residents(money is tight) that are buying the whole school age class kids points, I wonder how much it would cost to buy the whole school( Phoenix area) a tag for 10-15 years.

When I retire I'm moving to AZ so I will have the most points.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>What a joke.

Which part is the joke? The fact that most of the haters on this thread are commercial interests or people that employ the party apping technique I mentioned? Or even worse, people that pushed for things like convention/expo/premium pricing or stood with mega-guides who were suing for higher non-resident tag allocations? Is the joke that exactly two people have actually made real counterarguments against this while both acknowledging they know of people that do this. The haters can posse up and make personal attacks or one liners all day long. I will use reason and fact to get something done. One broadhead is deadlier than a quiver full of blunts.

BTW - The deer seem to be rutting pretty good North of Phoenix right now. I saw more deer yesterday than I have in a long time, and every buck had his nose up the backside of a doe. Most were at about 3000 ft elevation. Gotta love Arizona in January. I would be out today but have a family birthday party I have to attend. It's killin me..

Ryan

I don't know if G&F thinks this is a bad practice. They still get what they are after the $. It just sucks the guy on a tight budget don't get the same chance.

>I don't know if G&F thinks
>this is a bad practice.
>They still get what they
>are after the $. It
>just sucks the guy on
>a tight budget don't get
>the same chance.

I totally agree vmcfadden. These things don't happen organically, they happen systematically. Game and Fish needs the support of every hunter, not just the wealthy ones. In 2, 5, 10 years when hunters are complaining about not being drawn because opportunity is being diverted to an increasingly small minority, it wont be random. It will have been the result of small deliberate changes lobbied for by commercial interests. For AZGFD or hunters to sit back and pretend it isn't a problem is actually endorsing the problem. And to say "well more money for AZGFD will help wildlife" may sound business-ish, in reality it is pretty ignorant (this comment isn't directed at you vmccfadden).

How many other businesses raise money and then look for ways to spend it. Would a factory liquidate their core equipment like lathes and drill presses to free-up money for random indescript business opportunities. Would that be in their long term best interests or just a short term infusion of cash? A factory needs drill presses and lathes like the Arizona Game and Fish department needs the support of every single hunter. To knowingly allow these loopholes is selling out their base. Wildlife in Arizona and all over the West has value beyond the pawn shop "buy-it-now" price that these special interest group marketing geniuses try to argue for.

Hopefully the new AZGFD Commissioner will make his mark early and proactively seek solutions to group application point farming. It is one of the only loopholes in one of the most fair draw processes in the West.

Ryan

Like WapitiBob said. This is nothing but a solution looking for a problem.

Geeez............. I miss the days when we could just think and talk about hunting instead of how everyone wants to change the way we do things. I should be all excited about the putting in and the up-coming draw but instead I read this garbage.

Everyone wants to change Arizona's application process and rules. First it was the butt head in NM trying to get more NR tags so he could sell hunts in AZ. Then it was the threat of SWF comming to Arizona and putting in a system similar to Utah's. After that we had an AZ group that tried to get more tags to auction and they would control the money. Can't people just leave it alone?

Do like the vast majority of sensible people do in all aspects of life. These are the rules. If I want to play or participate I must follow these rules. If I don't like the rules that are set in place for ALL to the follow, nobody is forcing us to play. Don't change the rules to fit what you think is real problem and will somehow benefit you.

I told myself not to comment but this crap REALLY SUCKS. These sort of things weaken us as a hunting community and only convince me more that we are our own worst enemy.

I'm tired and that is all I will say about the subject.

>Like WapitiBob said. This is
>nothing but a solution looking
>for a problem.
>
>Geeez............. I miss the days when
>we could just think and
>talk about hunting instead of
>how everyone wants to change
>the way we do things.
> I should be all
>excited about the putting in
>and the up-coming draw but
>instead I read this garbage.
>
>
>Everyone wants to change Arizona's application
>process and rules. First
>it was the butt head
>in NM trying to get
>more NR tags so he
>could sell hunts in AZ.
> Then it was
>the threat of SWF comming
>to Arizona and putting in
>a system similar to Utah's.
> After that we had
>an AZ group that tried
>to get more tags to
>auction and they would control
>the money. Can't people
>just leave it alone?
>
>Do like the vast majority of
>sensible people do in all
>aspects of life. These
>are the rules. If
>I want to play or
>participate I must follow these
>rules. If I don't
>like the rules that are
>set in place for ALL
>to the follow, nobody is
>forcing us to play.
>Don't change the rules to
>fit what you think is
>real problem and will somehow
>benefit you.
>
>I told myself not to comment
>but this crap REALLY SUCKS.
> These sort of things
>weaken us as a hunting
>community and only convince me
>more that we are our
>own worst enemy.
>
>I'm tired and that is all
>I will say about the
>subject.

I generally agree with you huntazido. I wish there was a rewind button to take us back to the days when there were only bonus points and a completely random draw. No bonus pass, no credit cards, no online licenses, no helpful web forms that use virtual signatures. That is the dreamer side of me even though I have points for some species that put me very close to the bonus pass.

The practical side says online applications and credit cards are how business is done nowadays. Trying to argue against them would be dumb and fruitless. The reality is that these well intentioned changes have made things different. The 20% bonus pass sounded good at one time to some people and now the problems that stem from it require complexity to fix. Discounted youth tags sound good but when combined with a simple web sales interface it literally requires no youth involvement whatsoever to earn cheap transferable bonus points.

We can play whack a mole and push back against a legacy of small changes, some with positive aspects. Or we can add a rule or two like the max point benefit on a group application idea and put some control around these things before it is too late. Putting controls on the group application would ensure that youths actually hunt for the first time as youths, not 25 year old adults. It would also address the long time issue of adult straw applicants like wives, grandparents and others that are put into the draw to optimize opportunity for others, sometimes complete strangers.

As some others have mentioned, the people that frequent this website are passionate and well informed hunters. Most Average Joes are not nearly as informed. I am of the opinion that Average Joes should have full confidence in the public drawing, it should be as fair as possible. Requiring people to play the point donor game to access their public wildlife opportunities is unreasonable and unfair. I understand Pittman-Robertson, I know what these straw applicants mean to AZGFD, it still isn't right and not good for the hunter retention in the future.

I intentionally dropped this idea on the most hostile environment I could think of. I didn't post this for mass agreement, I posted this to solicit counterarguments. There haven't been that many counterarguments presented. AZGFD losing out on straw applicants dollars or a father having to sit out a year or two himself to hunt with his child on a group app aren't strong enough arguments to keep sitting on our hands on this issue.

Ryan

How many people have to disagree with you before you realize maybe your idea isn't so great? You want Counter arguments? Against what? Your conspiracy theory with no facts to back it up?

Your telling us that tons of guys are putting in non hunters and using their points. So a guy has to put in his buddy for 10 years, then apply with him just to have 5-6 points? 5 points don't do much.

So far you've provided no facts to back up your "straw app" accusations. Your other point, party apps, isn't going away for the reasons NMpaul posted. When you actually provide numbers from the dept you'll probably get some consideration.
You aren't the first guy to complain to the dept and you certainly won't be the last. Last years Internet Complainer drew a cow tag because he wasn't sharp enough to read "antlerless" in the description. His solution was to be able to turn a tag back.
Irregardless of what we think, make your proposal to the Department. Some of us will provide counterpoints and we'll see what the Commission chooses to do.

>So far you've provided no facts
>to back up your "straw
>app" accusations. Your other point,
>party apps, isn't going away
>for the reasons NMpaul posted.
>When you actually provide numbers
>from the dept you'll probably
>get some consideration.
> You aren't the first guy
>to complain to the dept
>and you certainly won't be
>the last. Last years Internet
>Complainer drew a cow tag
>because he wasn't sharp enough
>to read "antlerless" in the
>description. His solution was to
>be able to turn a
>tag back.

>Irregardless of what we think, make
>your proposal to the Department.
>Some of us will provide
>counterpoints and we'll see what
>the Commission chooses to do.
>

Party apping up applications has been happening for a long time. The Arizona Game and Fish department has the information, we could also have the information too if we wished to pay for it. The purpose of this thread was to highlight that this used to be an expensive and onerous technique used by a handful of diehards. Recent changes to technology and pricing has turned a crack in the door into a wide open door. We aren't going to see the major impacts of this for a few years, better to nip it now before it turns into a major problem. Or worse, becomes a leverage point for higher NR tag allocations, landowner tags or a higher bonus pass percentage.

One more thing. A comment was made about 5 points not being enough for a group application anyway. The reality is that many hunts can be drawn in the bonus point pass with less than half the max, although in most cases it requires some research. Die hard Arizona hunters rarely hold out for unit 9, 23, 10 or 8 bull rut hunts. Most shoot for more drawable tags in mid-tier units or less preferred hunt dates. Some units have low demand because the unit contains private property that is only accessible for a fee (like units 17 through 19). The mid-tier units where Average Joe's apply is where the party app farmers are skimming the bulk of the tags. In other words, Average Joes are funding the opportunity for this loophole.

And just to be clear, I never advocated getting rid of group applications. I have no problem with group applications, they serve a purpose and I apply on several group applications with the same people every year. My wife likes me to hunt Kaibab deer with her on the early rifle hunt, I apply with her for early rifle even though I could hunt more often myself if I went archery. I could change plans and put my wife in for a tougher hunt every year (to build points for a "shared" group hunt later) and put myself in for archery every year. I don't do that because it would be shifting opportunity from her to me and my wife actually loves to hunt.

One thing people seem to overlook is that under my proposal people could still apply with high bonus point holders, they would just need to invest a little more time/skin/points in order to maximize the value of the entire point pool. It would pretty much eliminate guaranteed bull tags every year for some point farmers and get more Average Joe's in the field every year.

Ryan

Javi,
Two years ago I drew a unit 27 archery bull tag with 7 resident points..Had an incredible hunt.
My points dropped to two points and I drew the same tag last year..again an incredible hunt.
You could say I am biased or lucky but I kind of like how things are so naturally I dont agree with your proposals.
I lived in Colorado before I moved to AZ and I liked the way Colorado does their draw. I can only afford to put in for one species per year now as a nonresident of CO but one day (when I decide life affords time and money to draw a good tag) I will draw a sheep tag or a really good deer/elk unit.
I have 3 kids and a pregnant wife. Our point levels are all low but you can bet I will try to use our points to draw just about any good tag.
My point is after all this rambling is dont mess with it, if it isnt broke!
Somebody already mentioned above every state that has a draw will have flaws, good, bad, and ugly. I am fine with you voicing your proposals but havent read too many folks agreeing with you on any point. You might be wasting your time. Have you tried coueswhitetail.com? LOL

Good luck in the draw!!
Jeff

The only change I would like to see and I'm a NR hunter(12 Elk Points) is to take one or two tags out of the 20% bonus pool depending on hunt.
I'd like to see these tags available to us guys who will never draw the hunts we want without being in the bonus pool.

This would give us a 1 in a 1000 chance and I know I would then apply for a tag instead of the bonus point every year.

I sent my idea to all four game commissioners. I will add updates to this thread as they become available. I cannot see any way to work this out without some limits being associated with the lowest bonus point holder on a group application.

Allowing people to application hop and point farm does nothing to bring youth into our sport and uses bonus points to concentrate opportunity to a few rather than spread it around as bonus points were originally intended to do.

I could care less about the impacts to guys or guides that employ the point farming/application hopping technique. Noone should have any expectation that things will stay the same, my proposal would not devalue anyone points unless they were to try to transfer them to someone in a much different point situation on a group application.

Also, a short term loss in license revenue for AZGFD would also be a weak argument against my proposal as keeping this loophole open will have a much greater negative impact on long term revenue when people drop out from frustration. Arizona has lots of hunting demand and relatively little supply, there is no room for loopholes that can be fixed with simple solutions like the one I proposed. Maintaining hunt opportunity to a wide base keeps votes on our side, selling out Average Joes by keeping flaws in our draw process is a bad long term plan for hunting in Arizona.

Ryan

i would propose a 5 yr. mandatory wait period on all LE Trophy Hunts. you would have to cont. to still apply (build points) to keep your loyalty point, however, once you draw one of these coveted tags, you're out for five years. like utah. there are way to many people that seem to draw great tags every yr. or two. it might be luck in some cases, but i know personally there are several cases of corruption. for those that don't think this type of corruption happens, think again. it happens way more than you might think.

The 5 year wait is a horrible idea, I haven't ever had to wait 5 years in between bull tags and that's what is so awesome about our draw system! Granted I'm not applying for 9 or 10, but that's my choice. Like has been stated above, if its not broken, don't try to fix it!

I sent my proposal mid day yesterday and received a note from two Commissioners and one of the single most knowledgeable guys in the department when it comes to these kind of changes (the Game Branch Chief) within about 24 hours. All three guys said they would pass along for analysis but no guarantees. Bonus points are dictated by Commission rule so there are prescribed processes and dates associated with their review and implementation. I plan to do whatever I need to do to get this into the appropriate review queue as soon as possible. I think our all volunteer Commissioners and the leadership at AZGFD do a pretty darn good job.

Billy the Kid mentioned the idea of requiring all Limited Entry units to have 5 year waiting periods. I agree with Cody that this is a really bad idea. First, Arizona doesn't have limited entry trophy units, that is a Utah term. Arizona has draw units and over the counter units. Arizona resoundingly rejected premium pricing and sub-classifications last year. If the suggestion is that Arizona require a five year waiting period on all draw tags, that would be horrible. Most tags in Arizona are draw tags, has been that way for decades, that's one reason why we have the best quality in the world.

Much analysis has been done on waiting periods and most conclude they provide little benefit to actual draw odds, they just make people that apply for low odds hunts feel better. A waiting period would kind of undermine the beauty of the Arizona system which is the random "everyone has a chance" bonus point lottery. With limited opportunity and a large population there will always be lucky Arizona hunters but most of us will get pretty equal opportunity over the long term. 99% of us benefit by keeping Arizona as close to a random lottery as possible. Waiting periods would impact resident and neighboring state hunters the most because the big money non-resident guys apply for so many states they wouldn't even feel a waiting period.

Despite the flawed 20% bonus pass, Arizona is a bonus point state, not a preference point State. It seems to me that waiting periods are more associated with preference point states. Colorado is closer to a true preference point state and Utah might as well be for antlered game with a 50% bonus pass and a huge amount of entitlement tags.

Billy the Kid - You mention corruption. Are you suggesting that the Arizona draw has corruption or are you saying group application riders are engaging in corruption? I work in a security sensitive industry and I cannot imagine the draw process could be hacked and pass code reviews, especially over the course of many years. Maybe I am na?ve but anyone that pulls a tag in the random draw gets a high five from me. If they draw two years in a row they get two.

I think the biggest risk to waiting periods is that they inflate the value of raffle and expo tags since most of those tags are exempt from waiting periods and lifetime limits. There is a reason why the State of Utah restricts the regular draw tags and keeps their expo raffle and auction tags "unlimited".

Cheers,

Ryan

i am saying the arizona draw has corruption. at least with what you term as point whore corruption it was earned by someone. what i am talking about is straight up corruption at it's finest. only way to prevent it is to tweak the system enough to not allow a single individual to draw back to back. five years might be to many, but a yr. wait would prevent the corruption a little bit.

Shane,
I really don't follow what you are saying. You seem to be saying there is corruption associated with the draw. Maybe it is semantics but I consider corruption a two sided situation and abuse as more of an individual thing. I believe individuals are taking advantage of the loophole to the point where I consider it an abuse of the system. It isn't corruption or even illegal, just a gross exploitation of a loophole. My proposal is a very targeted way to put some controls around it and keep hunt opportunity evenly distributed. I provide details about my simple bonus point cap proposal at the top of this thread. In nutshell, I propose group apps never average more than three points above the lowest point holder on the group application.

If you know of some specific instance of draw corruption (like internal programming funny business) I would encourage you to contact AZGFD or send me a personal message and I will pass it along. If you have proof I promise to follow up like a pit bull. That said, I have never seen any indication that the actual drawing in Arizona has ever been compromised. If you are merely speculating about drawing corruption in order to support waiting periods that is another story and a pretty weak argument. Waiting periods wouldn't address people bonusing up their average on group applications anyway, it would just ensure that the guys that currently do it skip a year or two. That isn't good enough, my proposal would target the loophole exploiters and leave the rest of us alone. There is no reason to hit Arizona hunters with a wait period sledge hammer when the problem can be addressed in a more targeted way.

As for expo and raffle tags, Arizona has very few, the way things should be. I am sure you are aware that Arizona hunters pushed back against a proposal to expand them a few years ago. Lots more Arizona hunters keeping their eye on the tag cookie jar nowadays. A whole lot more of us understand the differences and limitations between 501c3 and 501c4 non-profits too.

Ryan

So Ryan, I skimmed through all the posts in this thread and I never saw where you answered Tony's question about how many times is this happening each year.

So what is the number? Let's keep it simple and just focus on elk. How many elk tags were awarded last year to guys abusing the system with this loophole?

Was it 3? or 30? or 3,000? How many?

javi, don't have the time right now to read and dissect your last post but in short, i know of CORRUPTION in the draw. is it an individual, yes, but the system allows for dishonest people to make bad decisions. also, the system in and of itself is flawed and allows for "computer generated" flaws. it's not smoke and mirrors.

Crickets from Ryan.

I'll help you out. There are 17 people with 19 points going into the elk draw this year. How many of them are banking points for the "point farmer" that draws every year? I would say all of them are actively trying to draw a tag. But even if they are all banking points for the point farmer, what tag could they draw with 9 points? A late rifle tag or an early archery tag in one of the less popular units. 48 people with 18 points, 105 with 17, 152 with 16. At what point is it no longer worth farming for points?

Also, you are suggesting that a point farmer started applying Grandma 20 years ago for the sole purpose of gaming the system. If he is drawing a tag every year as you suggest, then he had to start applying 20 people 20 years ago. What about the expense of buying all those licenses for his point farm? He would be money ahead to just buy a landowner tag in NM.

I think you are suggesting an overhaul of the draw system for a virtually non-existent problem at the price of limiting the legitimate draw for a big group of people.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-14 AT 04:30PM (MST)[p]^^^^+1 Ryan, I applaud you on your persistence and passion on this non issue in my book. Why don't you put your effort behind stopping wolves from being introduced in the rest of our state, which is by far a way nobler cause. I believe YOU could make a diffrence on that important issue. I am not saying that point farming doesnt happen, but it doesnt happen to the extent you are portraying. Sage makes good points about that in a previous post. We need to address the real issues that will lead to the decline of hunting oppurtunities in our great state, such as the introduction of wolves, etc. Look at Montana, Idaho and what the wolves have done to robust elk herds, we dont have even close to the elk numbers these states had and look what happened to them and if they are introduced on the strip, say good bye to hunting there.

Sagebrush,

Thanks for the giving me an entire day to respond?sorry for the ?crickets?. Although you are trying to beat me on numbers you missed the boat on most of them.

First ? I said the crack in the door for this loophole has been swung wide open RECENTLY with the return of online apps and licenses, credit cards and reduced price youth licenses (especially for non-residents). A non-resident youth would spend almost $1000 less accumulating bonus points as a youth than he would as an adult. Under today's rules these points are virtually transferable. It is a problem now but will become a landslide later. The Arizona Game and Fish department has the means and probably the analytics/database guys to validate the current problem in a matter hours. We can sit back and belly ache like people do about the 20% bonus pass or we can proactively make some changes to prevent future problems.

Second ? Your example of someone grouping up with a 19 point applicant and having a measely ?9 points? is wrong. Most guys that would team up in that situation would probably have a loyalty and hunter ed point. Under the current rules the group application would have (2+19=21/2=10.5 rounded up to 11), 11 points is enough to pull a pretty good tag in a whole lot of decent early archery and late rifle units. Not enough for 9, 10 or 23N but definitely the units the MAJORITY of us care about. These thresholds also vary a bunch depending on whether you are talking about residents or non-residents. I am not beating you up on your example to be a jerk, a couple points in either direction matters significantly with these hunts so minimizing the impacts undermines your argument.

Third ? You suggest that the idea of someone buying a resident hunting license and putting in a non-hunting wife or grandmother over the course of decades is an outrageous idea based on cost. The cost of a RESIDENT hunting license has averaged around 30 bucks for the last 20 years. App fees have also varied over the years. Lets call that $7.00 a year. So it would have cost $600 in license fees and about $140 in app fees to bank 20 some points on the back of a straw applicant. I realize there is also a time value of money element to this but I wont go there for simplicity sake. Bottom line is this is CHUMP CHANGE for a whole bunch of guys. Can you get a good landowner tag that rivals Arizona mid-tier units for $800, hell no you cant.

Fourth ? You suggest I was advocating some kind of ?overhaul?. An overhaul would be incorporating something like waiting periods or true preference points, things Arizona doesn't have. My bonus point cap proposal for group applications is a tweak not an overhaul.

So now a question for you Sagebrush. How many guys SHOULD be allowed to exploit this loophole and ride other peoples points on group applications and hunt rut bull hunts and North of the ditch deer hunts EVERY year? Would you be okay with 5. How about 50. What if it was only 100. What if it was 100 now and will be 300 in five years. What if brokers were willing to find you an application partner for a fee? In my book there is zero tolerance for any of this if a simple solution exists to prevent it.

AZhunter - I agree the wolf issue is a big deal. I have signed onto petitions and provided feedback on comment periods every time I have had an opportunity. My hunting buddies are primarily average joes that wont be able or willing to hunt if commercial interests price them out. I can probably handle the price increases myself but a future hunting with my canned beer crowd appeals more to me than sharing the forest with the designer camo crew.

Sorry for another long post...hard to stop once I get rollin' on stuff like this.

Ryan

So out of the 322 people with more than 15 points you're saying 300 are banking points for someone else? Please exhale in another direction. I don't want any of what you are smokin' second hand.

I will say that I am aware of people exploiting the system for mostly archery hunts. Strip archery, block archery elk, and archery antelope. It is happening and SOME guys are getting tags EVERY year. They offer to pay for guide fees, etc to a guy with enough points. I just don't think this is the biggest problem facing Arizona hunting and I am sure game and fish is well aware of it. My wife has a ton of points for elk and did have a ton for deer. I could have put in with her and I would have been archery hunting on the strip or one of the better elk units, but I chose not to. I want her to have the best hunt she can. She killed a 203 buck in 2012 on the strip and hopefully she draws the elk tag she wants this year.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-14 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]>I will say that I am
>aware of people exploiting the
>system for mostly archery hunts.
> Strip archery, block archery
>elk, and archery antelope. It
>is happening and SOME guys
>are getting tags EVERY year.
>They offer to pay for
>guide fees, etc to a
>guy with enough points. I
>just don't think this is
>the biggest problem facing Arizona
>hunting and I am sure
>game and fish is well
>aware of it. My wife
>has a ton of points
>for elk and did have
>a ton for deer. I
>could have put in with
>her and I would have
>been archery hunting on the
>strip or one of the
>better elk units, but I
>chose not to. I want
>her to have the best
>hunt she can. She killed
>a 203 buck in 2012
>on the strip and hopefully
>she draws the elk tag
>she wants this year.

AZhuntin - I totally agree with everything you said. Including the fact that this isn't the biggest problem in Arizona. That said, I think our AZGFD department and Commissioners are capable of multi-tasking, at least I would hope people in that position would be. I also agree that this is a known problem that it could easily be swept under the rug. I posted this publicly in order to get some visibility.

I have been away for a week and this thread is still smoldering...obviously some people care about this issue. This thread has been smoldering for over a month straight.

Sagebrush - You have a penchant for taking real numbers and twisting them. I could play ping pong with you but it would be a waste of my time since you have proven you lack a solid understanding of how the draw works. Debating with you at this point would make me look like a bully and that doesn't make either of us look good. I appreciate your advocacy on the wolf issues.

cmbbulldog - You say this will go nowhere, famous last words....and wrong. I am not going to name names but several of the key players working this angle have been drawn out of the shadows to comment on this thread. These commercial interest advocates hate the idea of changing things, surprise surprise. The AZGFD staff read these boards and they know who these people are as well. I have sent a very detailed proposal to AZGFD about my point cap idea and ownership of action or inaction is pretty clear at this point. I have done all I can do, if common sense prevails we will see some changes in the future.

Cheers and good luck in the drawing,
Ryan

There is a better and easier way to prevent commercial exploitation of the draw without impacting friends and family that want to hunt together. Amend the regulations to make it illegal to offer or take compensation of any kind for applying as a party. The penalty should be revocation of hunting and/or guiding privileges for all parties involved. Doesn't require a change in the draw, doesn't impact non-abusers and lets people like Big Fin hunt with his son or you to hunt with your wife. That will get all eight abusive archers out of the system and prevent all the unscrupulous outfitters in AZ and their clients from gaming the system. What outfitter would risk his entire business and what hunter that desires to hunt every year in AZ would risk his hunting privileges?

Wow, I got my Diet Coke, and sat down and looked at all of this.

It is fairly obviously that a few out there are drinking some serious conspiracy "Cool Aid" in my opinion.

But that's the nice thing about America.

We all have a right to our opinions and the freedom to say and post what they are.

But we all have the right to respectfully disagree.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Sheep 21
Deer 15
Antelope 12
Turkey 11
Elk 2
Javelina 2

Don,

Some of these comments are far fetched and I agree with that, but if you think there are not any guys out there being "point whores"(my term for them) your are dead wrong. I could name names, but I won't. A check of draw results over the past few years would clarify it. Do I think anything needs to be done about it, no I really don't think its that many to worry about and it's not against the rules. I am against changing the rules on this in anyway, but those who say it's not happening have their head in the sand.

Hey Don, This is a great way for you to boost your business. All you need to do is get all those max point holders clammering for an early archery hunt to team up with your two point holder clients that are willing to pay for two guided hunts. You may need to hire a couple hundred guides to take care of all the added business!

>There is a better and easier
>way to prevent commercial exploitation
>of the draw without impacting
>friends and family that want
>to hunt together. Amend the
>regulations to make it illegal
>to offer or take compensation
>of any kind for applying
>as a party. The penalty
>should be revocation of hunting
>and/or guiding privileges for all
>parties involved. Doesn't require a
>change in the draw, doesn't
>impact non-abusers and lets people
>like Big Fin hunt with
>his son or you to
>hunt with your wife. That
>will get all eight abusive
>archers out of the system
>and prevent all the unscrupulous
>outfitters in AZ and their
>clients from gaming the system.
>What outfitter would risk his
>entire business and what hunter
>that desires to hunt every
>year in AZ would risk
>his hunting privileges?

Sagebrush,
Your idea to implement a law preventing commercial exploitation is interesting but I don't think it would work. Some reasons off the top of my head.

- Would be tough to make a case. At what point does a client become a friend?

- When you say compensation, it could be monetary and non-monetary. It would be hard to prove monetary compensation and really hard to prove non-monetary compensation was exchanged.

- A law like this would require resources to enforce and prosecute. My point cap proposal would simply require an implementation plan that includes some programming changes and a communication strategy. Front-end controls that prevent abuse are a whole lot more effective that backend controls that discourage it.

The single biggest problem with your idea would be that it would not address non-commercial exploitation. It doesn't matter how you spin it, if you are building points for other people with an expectation that it will help YOU in the future you are exploiting this. My change would allow families to still hunt together, it would just prevent Dad from applying Mom or Grandma for many years in order to bonus up his own application. If Dad and Grandma had similar points (were within 7-8 points of each other) my cap wouldn't even kick in. You would really need to be gaming things in order to be affected by my point cap proposal.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, this IS happening. As azhunter said, you have your head in the sand to suggest otherwise.

Ryan

While I think JaviHammer is sincere with all of this, I'm not buying we have a "problem" and that there needs to be a change.

Listen, if someone with a fistful of bonus points they've acquired over the years of unsuccessful draws and they want to "share" them with a friend, so be it.

They've paid their dues.

I've started applying my 11-year-old grandson who lives in Oklahoma for bonus points only in the big game draws except for junior's deer and junior's javelina.

Maybe someday he'll want to apply for elk, sheep or antelope.

If he does he will at least have a chance.

If not, I've continued to support wildlife and the AZ G&F Dept. with my dollars.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Why would anyone with tons of points want to lower their chances of drawing by averaging with someone with 2 points. For any good hunt in az this would reduce the chances of drawing by a huge factor,to the point of taking the high bonus point guy out of almost any contention of getting a good tag. This scenario doesn't pencil out no matter how much money was spent .

Couesmagnet,

You asked why someone with a bunch of points would apply with someone with 2 points. The reality is that a proxy hunter with lots of points probably had a husband or tag service apply them into the drawing over the years. Many of these people have almost no interaction with hunting or the draw process at all. The only time they care is when the husband or tag service notifies them that they were drawn, which is rare because these people are usually put it in for bonus points only until they have a bunch of points to share with someone in the guaranteed bonus pass round. The time ?cost? associated with sitting out for a decade while building points is pretty low to them, and if they are a resident or a kid, the monetary cost of acquiring points is also pretty low as well. The only thing these people have in common with real hunters is a pulse and a social security number. I think it is important to understand that those of us that hunt mid-tier units are the ones impacted. I am talking about many of the late rifle bull and even some of the early archery bull hunts.

Don brings up one of the main counterpoints to my argument. Don said that points are points and people should be able to use them as they wish. This sounds similar to the "free market" argument we often hear when tags are diverted to raffles and auctions. I agree, a person should be able to use THEIR points however they want. My issue is in regards to transferability. Bonus points were originally implemented to help people that had applied for many years earn a little better odds with each unsuccessful attempt. A bonus point is supposed to represent a time cost, a time cost that is really high to people like me that live to hunt, not so much for all the golfers, knitters and figure skaters that were applied as proxy applicants. The point to this thread is that the environment surrounding bonus points has evolved over the years. Hunting tags used to cost some time and some money, the new environment allows some gamers to pay no time in exchange for a little more money. Allowing the "party average up" loophole to exist absolutely concentrates opportunity to a few at the expense of the majority. Bonus points weren't implemented to concentrate opportunity, they were created to expand opportunity and maintain support for hunting overall. Proxy applicants are also unlikely to buy firearms and ammo and the archery equiptment that contribute to federal programs. Proxy applicants aren't good for the public draw or the long term viability of hunting in Arizona. Proxy applicants are a short term approach that will only get the AZGFD a larger portion of an increasingly smaller federal money pie.

And just to be clear, I have no problem with grandparents like Don buying points for grandkids, especially for species that will take lots of points to draw. I doubt Don would ever direct his non-resident grandson to share his antelope or sheep points with anyone, that would be dumb strategy. Hope his Grandson gets to hunt with his Grandpa as many times as they can together, that is what hunting is all about.

Cheers,

Ryan

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom