Zone 1-6 Antelope

Tyler25246

Hey guys! I’m looking to gather as much info as I can on antelope in CA.

I happened to get the fundraising tag for one buck!

I’m leaning towards the lassen unit, anyone have any info they would be willing to share on areas and what to expect? I know the pool of knowledge might be small given the number of tags give each year.

Or maybe any of the other zones?
Trying to find the best time to go as well.
Plan to scout a few times in July and early august.

Thank you!

I've hunted antelope twice in California but not since 1992. Surprise Valley used to be the "hot" unit but it's all different now. Likely Tables is a tough hunt now, I heard. Good luck!

I've hunted antelope twice in California but not since 1992. Surprise Valley used to be the "hot" unit but it's all different now. Likely Tables is a tough hunt now, I heard. Good luck!
I have been putting in for the tables archery but these last few years changed to lassen. Based off what I’ve been readingb thanks for the info!

I killed an 86 inch pronghorn in the Lassen zone years ago.
Not sure how it is now but I can tell you when you see a mid 80s buck there’s going to be a whole lot of black on top of his head.
Much more so than the average ones you will be looking at.

I killed an 86 inch pronghorn in the Lassen zone years ago.
Not sure how it is now but I can tell you when you see a mid 80s buck there’s going to be a whole lot of black on top of his head.
Much more so than the average ones you will be looking at.
That’s good to hear! Hoping to get some scouting in maybe if I can find something and get pictures I can post em up see what you guys think

Hunted likely tables last year and from what I saw the population and quality is way down. Talked to a biologist for the unit and he stated that they have been recommending a reduction in tags for years. I guess the system is behind as always and unfortunately the herd takes the hit. With that info and what I was seeing, I took the first legal buck I could get to.

20230903_183359.jpg

Hunted likely tables last year and from what I saw the population and quality is way down. Talked to a biologist for the unit and he stated that they have been recommending a reduction in tags for years. I guess the system is behind as always and unfortunately the herd takes the hit. With that info and what I was seeing, I took the first legal buck I could get to.

View attachment 148345
I see thanks for the info! I’ll probably stay away from there then!

The last year for fundraiser draws was 2019. They are all auction tags given away to groups like CDA.
I was going to say the fundraiser tags are a thing of the past but I did read they are trying to bring back the sheep one atleast.

Hey guys! I’m looking to gather as much info as I can on antelope in CA.

I happened to get the fundraising tag for one buck!

I’m leaning towards the lassen unit, anyone have any info they would be willing to share on areas and what to expect? I know the pool of knowledge might be small given the number of tags give each year.

Or maybe any of the other zones?
Trying to find the best time to go as well.
Plan to scout a few times in July and early august.

Thank you!
How much did the auction antelope tag go for that you bought?

I was going to say the fundraiser tags are a thing of the past but I did read they are trying to bring back the sheep one atleast.

How much did the auction antelope tag go for that you bought?
It was at a CDA banquet, it’s a fundraising tag. Yes it was auctioned I don’t know how much goes to the state and how much went to CDA.

It was at a CDA banquet, it’s a fundraising tag. Yes it was auctioned I don’t know how much goes to the state and how much went to CDA.
Yeah I was more so curious what the final bid amount was ? Like what you bid on the tag for how much since you were the winning bidder. I only ask because maybe I would be interested in the future.

Lassen is a fun hunt… seen a lot of antelope on the deer hunts. I missed 2 years of applying so I’ll never actually get to hunt them.

Post pics!

Haven't drawn an antelope tag in California in 40 years have max points don't know what it's going to take to get to hunt one in this state...... it sucks

Haven't drawn an antelope tag in California in 40 years have max points don't know what it's going to take to get to hunt one in this state...... it sucks
What unit do you usually put in for??? I would think if you have had max points for a few years you should be catching up to a guaranteed tag!

2023 stats
Lassen period 1 had 27 pref point tags
97 1st choice at max of 21 based off that the max point pool that are chasing creep should get their tags within the next 3.5 years(if the 260 max point holders that put in for just a point not a hunt don’t change their ways. Hard to account for those 260 guys)

What unit do you usually put in for??? I would think if you have had max points for a few years you should be catching up to a guaranteed tag!

2023 stats
Lassen period 1 had 27 pref point tags
97 1st choice at max of 21 based off that the max point pool that are chasing creep should get their tags within the next 3.5 years(if the 260 max point holders that put in for just a point not a hunt don’t change their ways. Hard to account for those 260 guys)
Lassen had a 1 in 3 chance to draw and still didn't draw

Lassen had a 1 in 3 chance to draw and still didn't draw
Yep, I'm sitting on max antelope points too and applied for Lassen. First time I've actually applied for a hunt instead of points only in several years. It should happen in the next few years. 🤞

Yep, I'm sitting on max antelope points too and applied for Lassen. First time I've actually applied for a hunt instead of points only in several years. It should happen in the next few years. 🤞
But I have been putting in for this hunt since before points started over 40 years

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom