You shootin'?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Let's say it's the last morning of your hunt and you catch this buck walking over the ridge ahead of you at 300 yards. You've hit the dirt, have crosshairs on him, and....... Are you shootin?
Is he big enough for you? You confident in hitting him at 300 as he walks? Is it too risky to shoot him as he goes away?

DSCN3364.JPG

No risky and messy ass shots on trophy animals, or any. As soon as he crests the hill I make the sprint. I sneak over the hill 2 minutes later and catch him walking unaware, quartering away at 75 yards. Easy peasy and how it should be done.

I'd like to think I wouldn't. I have shot 2 animals that way, but only after I had hit them and at that point any lead you can get into them is better than not.

He is certainly big enough, I would be extremely confident in a 300 yard shot at a target or rock alot smaller

But a shot at a buck in that situation, not going to take the shot. Too many moving parts ha ha

What I would do is wait until he beds or at least goes over that ridge, then work into a better position
Even if it didn’t work out, I would be ok with it.

40 years ago, younger me probably would have had a different answer though

I always wondered why I never killed a big one! Now I know that I need to include shooting an animal up the a$$hole at 300 yards into my bag of tricks.

I'll be sure to circle back for more expert advice.
Just messing with ya bro. I don’t blame you one bit about not shooting.

Would like to think I wouldn’t but ya said last day , morning I’m down and he’s in the glass ,,,,, that’s a tank !!! so I’m throwing lead
And enjoying a long heavy pack out it looks like
Sweet pic!

With a solid copper projectile this is a go all day. Imma run it from his a$$hole to his elbow as the bullet tends to arc down due to its natural flight path/trajectory. Anyone over the ridge who hasnt shot him yet deserves what they get.

It depends, but then it always depends on something. I'd be laid down with a dead rest for sure. If he was dead still, there's no wind and I had enough time to be collected, I would hammer him. My 300 mag with a 200 grain ELDX would penetrate plenty to do the job.

If he's moving slowly and turns to quarter away, I'd shoot him.

If he's moving straight away, and about to be gone, I'd do as has been said. Let him go, then slip forward with the wind in my favor and try to relocate him.

Definitely looks like a buck I would try to get.

Going to need more specifics.

Me with 6.5 CM after a 22 mile hike gaining 4000 ft elevation having had my mtn ops for breakfast head to toe in First Lite, I'm letting it rip. An epic deer like that will grab me 2 more sponsors and give me IG cred. I won't show the part where I ass cheek him,break one leg, then follow up and hit him low and leave him hobbling away with his intestines hanging out. I'll get that all shoved back in for the grip and grin.

06' after dragging my fat azz up the mtn filled with coffee and ibuprofen, I'm letting him slip over the ridge then I am too. I'm probably sucking wind pretty hard and the heart is pounding so a better shot would be great. I'm not from Texas anyway so I haven't mastered that shot

He's big enough! If I could stop him, I'd probably shoot. It's easy for lots of people saying they wouldn't, but up on that mountain, that decision is a whole lot different.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom