X9B HELP!

Farwesthunt

Hey guys me and my buddy drew X9B and I'm going on my second scouting trip this coming weekend. Can anyone familiar with the zone point me in the right direction? Went scouting once in the southern part of the zone and saw dozens of does and one spike, but no mature bucks. I was just below granite at 11k plus which I've been told is where i should be. Any thoughts?????

Hey guys me and my buddy drew X9B and I'm going on my second scouting trip this coming weekend. Can anyone familiar with the zone point me in the right direction? Went scouting once in the southern part of the zone and saw dozens of does and one spike, but no mature bucks. I was just below granite at 11k plus which I've been told is where i should be. Any thoughts?????
What time of day did you see the does?
Did you glass these deer?
It’s hot out, they’ll be bedding in the shade.

What time of day did you see the does?
Did you glass these deer?
It’s hot out, they’ll be bedding in the shade.
I saw them throughout the day, it was only 80 at the hottest part of the day. But most were in the evening around 6pm and after. Yeah I glassed them… they were not people shy at all though. I walked right past them later and they didn’t flinch. I guess there’s a lot of hikers in that area… kinda worried that even though there’s lots of does the bucks are hiding and won’t come to that area.

But they should start mingling with the doe population at some point in September/October right?

I saw them throughout the day, it was only 80 at the hottest part of the day. But most were in the evening around 6pm and after. Yeah I glassed them… they were not people shy at all though. I walked right past them later and they didn’t flinch. I guess there’s a lot of hikers in that area… kinda worried that even though there’s lots of does the bucks are hiding and won’t come to that area.

But they should start mingling with the doe population at some point in September/October right?
Sept / Oct is the hardest time to hunt mature mule deer, they won’t be in there velvet summer pattern but they won’t be rutting or even pre rut. They are a totally different animal that time of the year and will become nocturnal and the mature bucks typically will be by themselves.

X9B archery season has been open for a couple of weeks now. Any feedback on deer numbers and altitudes they have been located at? Or any successful hunters want to report?

The snow starts the migration in fact this is what you hope for in this zone given it is a September start date. They will be running across Highway 395 from Yosemite

It snowed yesterday and will again tomorrow and with opening day on Saturday if you have this tag be up there this weekend it should be quite the show

Ya I’m happy with the weather right now, hopefully it gets the deer moving in the D and X Zones this weekend.

Iv only seen snow push deer lower when it snows feet not inches or with constant freezing temps above 9,000 feet. Iv always been amazed how much snow falls before those high basin deer come back over to the eastern side. Some of the body piles iv seen on the passes from avalanches is incredible.
When I hunted it a couple of years ago we had a small storm up high and the deer were moving the very next day. We were seeing herds of deer moving after the storm and it wasn't as big as the one yesterday. 4" at June lake loop means at least a foot up high so if It were me I would be hunting the corridor on the east side at last light. We saw lots of small bucks spikes two's and three's but after the storm was when we saw the only mature buck during that hunt

Good Luck to all hunters. Let us know if any shootable bucks seem to have come down some from their summer slopes?

Bishop rain last seven days .01 inch, Lee Vining .05 inch.

No snow in mammoth (smidge on ski lift area) in my web cam views. No snow in June Lake (Snow on North sides of upper slopes above June Lake Loop) on web cam views.

Not sure of snow on eastern sierras south of Bishop.

Mammoth projected high temps this weekend 69-73.

Bishop temps for the weekend 86-88.

Last edited:
Sorrry, my report for June Lake upper slopes was not a current web cam view. Assume minimal snow accumulation. Rain for Lee Vining 0.11 inch the last seven days now per the Weather Channel.

Last edited:
Iv only seen snow push deer lower when it snows feet not inches or with constant freezing temps above 9,000 feet. Iv always been amazed how much snow falls before those high basin deer come back over to the eastern side. Some of the body piles iv seen on the passes from avalanches is incredible.
Not avalanches.....Ice bridges.....

Good Luck to all hunters. Let us know if any shootable bucks seem to have come down some from their summer slopes?

Bishop rain last seven days .01 inch, Lee Vining .05 inch.

No snow in mammoth (smidge on ski lift area) in my web cam views. No snow in June Lake (Snow on North sides of upper slopes above June Lake Loop) on web cam views.

Not sure of snow on eastern sierras south of Bishop.

Mammoth projected high temps this weekend 69-73.

Bishop temps for the weekend 86-88.
Was going to go to Bishop and work around my parent’s house this week. Temps supposed to be in the 90’s. Don’t want to cut down and buck trees with temps in the 90’s with my knee swollen up. Cancelled and will make trip when weather cools down.

Not avalanches.....Ice bridges.....
Possibly, though I’m unsure if your referring to over the rivers or what’s known as glide crack avalanches. These piles of deer were in avalanche debris. It makes me wonder in the D7 pressure from the bishop side keeps the deer up there that long, at least the wise old bucks.

Possibly, though I’m unsure if your referring to over the rivers or what’s known as glide crack avalanches. These piles of deer were in avalanche debris. It makes me wonder in the D7 pressure from the bishop side keeps the deer up there that long, at least the wise old bucks.
Very good article about it....

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom