Wyoming unit 74 antelope

Riley7/08

I drew a unit 74 tag this year. I was hopping I could get some info from people that know the unit on here. I've never been there before. Any info would be great! Should I camp? Or is there a motel within a good driving distance ? What is a good antelope in this area maybe a 14 or 15 incher ? Thanks for any info

There is nothing close to unit 74 as far as any facilities, so I would advise that you camp in the unit and take plenty of extra gas, water, tire chains, and any other necessities. The northern and northeastern parts of the unit have a lot of private land, so you'll probably be hunting to the west and south 2/3rds of the unit. This year if you have enough days out there and know what to look for I'd say your chances at a good 14" or better buck should be good.

There is a nice Motel in Shoshoni and to the center of Unit 74 is only 21 miles. There is a Diner also in Shoshoni too and GAS/Diesel too.

There was a group of us back in the mid 90's that stayed there in town and drive a lot farther to hunt a ranch we paid for access on in Unit 115 north of unit 74.

Call Desert Inn Motel in Shoshoni 307-867-2273
505 W. 2nd St.

There is NO COLD STORAGE in the area that I know of now.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Stay in Shoshoni, have a cold beer and watch the dancing girls. Plenty of access off the Castle Gardens Rd. I'd skip the first week or two of the season and you'll have most of the place to yerself...

Tripple.....where are the dancing girls there? There sure were none back when we were there or 4 of our group would have gone AWOL....LOL

Brian

>There is a nice Motel in
>Shoshoni and to the center
>of Unit 74 is only
>21 miles. There is
>a Diner also in Shoshoni
>too and GAS/Diesel too.
>
>There was a group of us
>back in the mid 90's
>that stayed there in town
>and drive a lot farther
>to hunt a ranch we
>paid for access on in
>Unit 115 north of unit
>74.
>
>Call Desert Inn Motel in Shoshoni
>307-867-2273
>505 W. 2nd St.
>
>There is NO COLD STORAGE in
>the area that I know
>of now.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

9774image.jpg
. This is a pic of the goat I got last year up by Gillette. Hopping to find a little better one in 74 this year.

>Stay in Shoshoni, have a cold
>beer and watch the dancing
>girls. Plenty of access
>off the Castle Gardens Rd.
> I'd skip the first
>week or two of the
>season and you'll have most
>of the place to yerself...
>

With the 1500 miles I drive to get out to Wyoming I guess I figured all that extra driving of 40-50 miles day back and forth to a motel is a waste of hunting time, but even at 68 years old if there are dancing girls I might change my mind, LOL!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-15 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]>Mike, you still haul that small
>CHALET w/4wheels to Wyo each
>year?
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Don't know what you refer to when you say chalet, LOL! I did finally got rid of the little 2 wheel 1997 Aliner I had for 15 years out there and moved up to this 1997 19' Fleetwood Wilderness two years ago. It is like new inside and out and I got it for for only $3700. At my age it makes it a lot easier to hunt hard all day and come in to a warm, comfortable place and I hope to do that for a long time yet.

34052013hunts043.jpg

I've also got a camper. I thought maybe the roads would be to bad in 74 to take it. I'm planing to be there for the first 2 weeks of rifle season. Think I would have to worrie about the water tanks in the camper freezing up ?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-15 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]>I've also got a camper. I
>thought maybe the roads would
>be to bad in 74
>to take it. I'm planing
>to be there for the
>first 2 weeks of rifle
>season. Think I would have
>to worry the camper freezing
>up ?

I winterize the plumbing as soon as there is a chance of weather freezing things up and have 4 jugs to hold 20 gallons of water in the shower area when it gets that cold. Especially if you're hunting at the higher elevations, freezing can be pretty early in the hunting season and any time after the first of October I would definitely not chance it. Last year, for example, we had an early storm come through the BigHorns the middle of September and it dropped 12" of snow and was 5 degrees that night before the storm pushed on through and everything melted over the next few days. Where you're going to hunt antelope you should be able to find a decent road that you can pull your trailer off of to make camp and then branch out with your truck or a quad from there to do your hunting. That's what I've done every year for almost 20 years now out there and I've never had a problem. Just take your winterizing fluid with you and be prepared to winterize the unit if the weather forecast looks iffy.

If you are planning on bringing a trailer to 74 I would definitely park it close to pavement! That unit has some of the worse gumbo mud in Wyo! Even the main dirt roads can be a nightmare after it rains! You may want to bring an ATV because you may not even get far in a 4 x 4 after it gets wet. Chains would also be a plus but you likely will tear a lot of 2 tracks up in a truck after it gets wet.

I hunted there in 2011 and we stayed in Riverton. There are plenty of places to stay there. It is a little bit of a drive, about 45 minutes one way. If you are hunting for two weeks you should do well. We hunted 3 days and saw 2 really good bucks and killed a couple average 14 inch bucks. There is a meat processor in Riverton as well, Reinig's Wild Game Processing.

If I decide to camp I'm going to need to buy a new tent, anyone have any good suggestions? I'm wanting a good canvas type tent.

Check the Classified Section here in MonsterMulies...seen one just recently posted for sale.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-15 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]>TG and Kilo, LMBAWLZZOFF

Nevermind, as I figured it out, LOL!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-15 AT 09:02AM (MST)[p]>If you buy a tent make
>sure it can handle 10
>to 40 mph winds!

That's why after the first year I hunted out there in 1992 my tent has had hard walls, LOL!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom