Wyoming mule deer/antelope combo hunt

rtoreson

Hey all,

Just looking for some opinions. Wanting to take my two boys on an out of state hunt. We are wanting to do a mule deer/antelope combo hunt this year in Wyoming. We would like to draw the mule deer tag with our second choice so we can still accrue preference points. I know this will limit our options but that's ok. We aren't looking for a limited entry unit and just want to see some animals and have a fun trip. We will have an average of about 5pts for the goats. We have been looking over Regions D, Y and L. These regions seem to have decent deer numbers and also have goat units we should be able to draw with 5pts. What do you all think? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Brian

Are you willing to pay the special fee for deer?
Yeah, we r willing to pony up for both deer and goats. I have hunted Region D in the past for deer so that area was top on my list of choices but I noticed the odds of drawing are down to 50% in the NR special second choice draw.

Yeah, we r willing to pony up for both deer and goats. I have hunted Region D in the past for deer so that area was top on my list of choices but I noticed the odds of drawing are down to 50% in the NR special second choice draw.
If you go with D, you all could apply individually to increase your odds of getting 1 deer tag vs in a group or if anyone only has a few points let them get the deer tag. 1 deer tag and 3 lope tags sounds like a good time!

Yeah, I had thought about that exact scenario. I was thinking we could probably draw unit 48 for goats which sounds like a fun area to hunt with lots of animals. We all have 4 or 5 deer pts which is too many to use for region D. Might just roll the dice. I was also pondering region Y for deer and bouncing over and hunting unit 73 for goats. I actually hunted unit 34 a few years ago for deer and saw some nice antelope bucks in that unit.

A buddy and I took my two boys on a combo years back. We had deer and goat tags, and also doe antelope. We filled all but a few tags. It was fun and all, but my advice is to make a couple hunts out of it. We ended shooting a bunch of dink, because we were crazy rushed. Man it was a also a ton of work.
Id spend time on finding bigger antelope this year and just scout deer for next year. 5 points will get you in a good unit, and may even find a trophy.

A buddy and I took my two boys on a combo years back. We had deer and goat tags, and also doe antelope. We filled all but a few tags. It was fun and all, but my advice is to make a couple hunts out of it. We ended shooting a bunch of dink, because we were crazy rushed. Man it was a also a ton of work.
Id spend time on finding bigger antelope this year and just scout deer for next year. 5 points will get you in a good unit, and may even find a trophy.
That’s good advice for sure junior. That Region D season is only 6 days too. I was just trying to get the biggest bang for our buck. It’s a 22 hour drive for us and time off is hard to come by. The last time I was in Region D hunting deer I saw a couple stud goats and wished I had that other tag in my pocket! In reality though most times it will probably turn out like your hunt though. Thanks for the insight!

That’s good advice for sure junior. That Region D season is only 6 days too. I was just trying to get the biggest bang for our buck. It’s a 22 hour drive for us and time off is hard to come by. The last time I was in Region D hunting deer I saw a couple stud goats and wished I had that other tag in my pocket! In reality though most times it will probably turn out like your hunt though. Thanks for the insight!
Looking at tag allocations I do not think you will get D as a second choice. Applicants have been steadily increasing and they are cutting the NR quota.

Thanks for the input Will. I hadn't looked at tag allocations and was afraid that was the direction it was going. I guess we could just get the goat tags and hope for the best on the deer and be fine with whatever happens. Any other areas you suggest where a guy could hunt both deer and goats if time permits?

Thanks for the input Will. I hadn't looked at tag allocations and was afraid that was the direction it was going. I guess we could just get the goat tags and hope for the best on the deer and be fine with whatever happens. Any other areas you suggest where a guy could hunt both deer and goats if time permits?
The only place I’ve done that was D. But as you probably know it’s not worth burning deer points on. I would also check carefully the proposed tag quotas for antelope, lots of recent cuts that could ruin the odds for some units. From my experience in Wyoming if you are willing to put in some effort and hunt smart there are deer to be found just about anywhere. Just have to adjust trophy expectations for the given unit.

The only place I’ve done that was D. But as you probably know it’s not worth burning deer points on. I would also check carefully the proposed tag quotas for antelope, lots of recent cuts that could ruin the odds for some units. From my experience in Wyoming if you are willing to put in some effort and hunt smart there are deer to be found just about anywhere. Just have to adjust trophy expectations for the given unit.
Good info Will. I will take a look at the proposed quotas. One of my other ideas was getting a Region Y deer tag and hunting the south end of the region and trying to get unit 73 for goats. We hunted in unit 34 for deer a few years ago and I saw some nice goats while deer hunting. I've never set foot in any of Region Y though.

Good info Will. I will take a look at the proposed quotas. One of my other ideas was getting a Region Y deer tag and hunting the south end of the region and trying to get unit 73 for goats. We hunted in unit 34 for deer a few years ago and I saw some nice goats while deer hunting. I've never set foot in any of Region Y though.
Quota for 73 was dropped by 400 type 1 tags this year.

Hey JM, yeah I just saw that. I noticed 48 type 1 stayed the same and 48 type 2 actually increased by 50. Region D for deer dropped 100 tags and Region Y by 600! Uggghhhh.
It’s a tough year for opportunity tags in Wyoming. Going to be some disappointed guys when the draw results come out, not many look at current tag proposals before putting in and then blame GoHUNT when they don’t draw ?

Hey all,

Just looking for some opinions. Wanting to take my two boys on an out of state hunt. We are wanting to do a mule deer/antelope combo hunt this year in Wyoming. We would like to draw the mule deer tag with our second choice so we can still accrue preference points. I know this will limit our options but that's ok. We aren't looking for a limited entry unit and just want to see some animals and have a fun trip. We will have an average of about 5pts for the goats. We have been looking over Regions D, Y and L. These regions seem to have decent deer numbers and also have goat units we should be able to draw with 5pts. What do you all think? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Brian
Question on antelope only in HMA’S near Laramie - has anyone hunted the HMA’S recently near Laramie- Units 43, 44, 45 ? Only have 2 PP’S for this year ‘22, so looks like 43 & 44 might be best choices, based on previous years. I’ve never hunted 45 or 44, no idea ? on what they are like, hunted 43 in ‘04, not bad at all, lots of antelope but very wild after 1 st 3 days.
Any helpful information would be appreciated!
Thanks very much ! ?
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado
E Mail: [email protected]

Question on antelope only in HMA’S near Laramie - has anyone hunted the HMA’S recently near Laramie- Units 43, 44, 45 ? Only have 2 PP’S for this year ‘22, so looks like 43 & 44 might be best choices, based on previous years. I’ve never hunted 45 or 44, no idea ? on what they are like, hunted 43 in ‘04, not bad at all, lots of antelope but very wild after 1 st 3 days.
Thanks very much ! ?
The HMAs I’ve hunted in that general area did have antelope. The small tracts of public had few to no antelope on them. You could cover them all and not see a single one. If you don’t draw an HMA you might be hosed, depending on the unit.

The HMAs I’ve hunted in that general area did have antelope. The small tracts of public had few to no antelope on them. You could cover them all and not see a single one. If you don’t draw an HMA you might be hosed, depending on the unit.
Thanks very much for the information!! It’s appreciated!! Tough year to guess what to do. Seems every year like that !!
Jerry Gold ?

Thanks very much ! ?
It is wild, almost shot an 85+ incher at first light in one of those HMAs running for private. Ended up with a 65 incher. No joke, inches away from shooting a booner but a doe wouldn't clear.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom