WY antelope for my boy

400bull

Very Active Member
This year will be my oldest boys first year to hunt big game. I'm looking at making it the best possible year for him. I am thinking about putting him in for a WY pronghorn permit, I don't have a clue one where to start. I would like to take him on a public land hunt where he will have a good chance at harvesting a pronghorn. Size does not matter I am more interest in getting him out to have a good time with his old man. My boy will be in school during the hunt and I don't think that his mom will allow him to miss much school for the hunt. So I would prefer to find a unit in the South West corner where we could access the unit from Utah for a weekend hunt. What units would you guys recommend I look into for him?

Thanks
400bull

How about a doe antelope hunt? You can usually get up to 4 tags and I bet he would have a blast. You could try to draw a buck tag and if unsuccesful try a doe hunt. Almost all the southwest units in WY have good populations of antelope. I would look into units 93,94 100.

Download the full price antelope hunt area map and then do a search on the draw odds (you can do that on this site, see hunt odds). Compare this map to the hunt odds section for 0 points, which I'm assuming is the boat you are in. There painfully few units fitting your description that you would be able to draw, and you'll likely have to pay the "special" price to be garaunteed a tag.

Here's the map:

http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/11appbooklet/11NR23.pdf

With no preference points a buck hunt is almost out of the question down in that part of the state where you're talking about unless you would enter the higher priced license draw. I think I would also recommend taking your son on a doe hunt. There are hundreds of doe licenses available in those units, so you should have no problem getting tags and doing that type of a hunt with him. The main thing is to get a map and make sure there is plenty of public land to hunt in the unit you choose. If you want to hunt for buck antelope down in that area, you should start buying preference points for the two of you this summer. Do some cheap doe hunts with him for a year or two and let him get the feel for it and then when you have a couple of preference points you can do a buck hunt and you will have already scouted the areas for a year or two. I think from what you have described that is going to be your best method of attack.

antelope in WY are like geese back here in the East ! If you can pick an area you can draw and not have a lot of issues with access you'll see antelope ! The rest is really up to you two. I'm sort of familiar with east central antelope so ........ I have been around other parts of WY and like I said , antelope are all over the place if you are looking for just an antelope.

Pat C.

Southwest corner is tough with no points. Youth have a better chance. Unit 40,41,42,43,44,45 & 46 are pretty sure draws. The doe antelope tags are great for the youth as stated above.

Thanks for the input. I know that a buck tag for this year is going to be a long shot but I've got to try. If he does not get a buck tag I was planning on getting him a doe tag. I want him to have as much experience this year as I can. I'm already planning to take him on spring turkey hunt, a sage grouse hunt, fall mule deer and elk hunt, and hopefully several upland game and water fowl hunts. Hopefully he will be able to bag an animal or two but more importantly is that he has the time of his life and wants to go with me again next year.

400bull

Drive a little farther and there are areas around Casper where drawing a buck tag with no points is not a problem.

You can buy leftover buck and doe tags for areas around Casper by the truck load. apply for a point during the summer point period, you'll hunt and gain a point.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom