WL situation and Cougar Hunts

DownWind

I just read about the Wade Lemon situation. I don’t know the guy, not defending him or none of that, in fact it kinda sounds like from reading through threads about him that he was due. I will say though… I called 4 different outfitters and talked with them about getting me a cat last winter and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM offered a discounted hunt if I’d “be on call” in case they treed one for me to shoot.Looks like it’s a good thing I never took any of them up on the offer. I had no idea this was illegal and appears it’s exactly what WL is being charged for doing, but he’s definitely not the only one. Just thought it was interesting that he’s the only one getting in trouble for it seeing how it seems to be a widely used practice among outfitters and pretty much offered as an optional service from what I experienced. And no, Wade Lemon is not one that I called.

Being on call for a lion already in the tree? Or being on call for conditions to be ideal (usually few inches of fresh snow), versus booking months in advance? In my experience, the latter is what being “on call” means.

Being on call for a lion already in the tree? Or being on call for conditions to be ideal (usually few inches of fresh snow), versus booking months in advance? In my experience, the latter is what being “on call” means.
On call in case they’ve got one treed. Besides the cost still being like $4k and me not being willing to pay that, I also felt like they would be guiding someone else and if that guy didn’t like it then they’d offer me their seconds. They didn’t say that but that’s how I felt.

You Ever heard Of A Canned Hunt?

It's Not A Hunt Where They Take You Lion Hunting & Supply You With All The Beer Cans You Wanna Drink!

On call in case they’ve got one treed. Besides the cost still being like $4k and me not being willing to pay that, I also felt like they would be guiding someone else and if that guy didn’t like it then they’d offer me their seconds. They didn’t say that but that’s how I felt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom