Winter Deer Herd Health?

Cheater

We're now into February and the snow keeps coming. What is everyone seeing with the deer herds around the state? Are they wintering okay, or is the deep snow taking a toll on them? It doesn't seem like we've had extended periods of extreme cold which is good at least.

I haven't spent much time out looking around this winter, but have seen more deer in the city than usual.

Looks like deep snow headed your way. Hope they are ready to spend some time in the deep snow.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Lots of snow, But temps not too bad..
As long as we don't get below normal temps we should be OK.

Here's a link to the news release the DWR just put out....
Looking like an increase for buck deer permits for 2016!

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1805-deer-herds-doing-well-2016.html

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Funny they never mentioned all the units for deer going to a draw. I think that has helped our herds a bunch. Not as much pressure and no state wide archery hunts has improved units in my opinion.

Now, if we can just get some of the out of control shed hunters to back off for a while, the deer could have one less "predator" they have to keep their eye on and try to escape and expend more precious energy.
Some of the fawns I have seen in the last couple days are showing some signs of weakness. Coats are looking more ruffled. They just look a little more haggard. These are ones I have seen from my vehicle from a paved road. Just hoping they will get some relief in a few days from the snow. I know as long as they can get good forage, they can survive pretty tough conditions.

My boys help a friend kill a cow elk on the Fish lake unit. It was New Year's Day. It was -15 and deep snow low on the mountain. Her stomach was half the size of normal. When they walked up to her. They wondered if the bullet got into the gutter some how. Because she looked like someone let the air out of her. The gutter was clean just shrunk. They must be having a hard time finding food. I hope this is not a bad sign. But appears they are staving. The snow at our cabin is looking a lot like the bad winter we had a few years ago. The year the had all the Antelope killed off. Hopefully it stays warm and they can rebound.

just got done helping my Brother-in-law with his late season cow elk tag up North. Seems that the yearlings are having trouble getting around. A lot of the sagebrush is totally covered up and the food around the well traveled game trails were all but eaten up.

2 year olds + didn't look to be doing too bad. They were getting around ok and none of them looked too skinny to me.

Hope they get some break and temps don't dip too much.

I just most the day yesterday looking at deer and elk on the Sanpete wintering grounds..

Lots of snow, saw 600 to 700 animals today,
Both deer and elk getting around really good, no crusted snow...
Watched the deer browsing bitter brush everywere, with ease!

Elk getting through the snow feeding with no problems as-well...

All the deer and elk I observed today looked EXTREMELY healthy,
and doing very well! Saw some great bucks today, I'm very impressed.
It's looking good to me, Warming temps in the forecast, and no snow.
This trend continues we might see the best deer hunting (may-be) ever for 2016..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Forecast looks good for about the next 2 weeks, No more snow.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Sure wish it would warm up. I live along the Wasatch Front in Farmington and there's quite a bit of snow on the mountain. I had head in my backyard yesterday. They're lower than they should be. Saw a couple that had been hit by cars today.

I was actually going to post a question asking what a person might feed them to help them out a bit. I know game agencies don't typically recommend feeding the deer, but..............

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

hey Goofy was that you looking at a couple Bucks over by Lasson Draw??? I was in the maroon Ford. After Taking a looksy we went home and had another yearling Lion run through my pasture . Deer Looked good even in the deep snow the ridges are only 4-8" Hope the Lion stays away from those old white faced Bucks

Ya, probably me....
I was in my green Jeep yesterday.
Was from Thistle to Spring city through out the day.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

In my area they are doing okay at best. Is what is really going to hurt is the Shed hunters. I already have seen people out shed hunting around here. I think that will be what starts to take a toll on the deer here. Hopefully there are not more that start it, but even than it only takes a few doing it every weekend to take its toll.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-16 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]I'm just up the road from you and have lived here the last 4 years. This is the first year we've had a herd of deer in my part of the neighborhood. Usually I only see them when I jog up to the foothills every other day. It's not scientific proof that they are having a harder time this year but the bucks sure are wreaking havoc on peoples bird feeders with their antlers. I like it because I can take the kids for a 1 block walk and watch them hanging out in the park.
808imag0284.jpg

9577imag0289.jpg

7166imag0285.jpg

I wish Utah would pass a ban on shed hunting until mid April, like Nevada did. A little extra snow is hard enough on these animals, let alone guys out pushing them around looking for bone.
It doesn't take much to push them over the edge, this time of year.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom