Who is shooting the E-tip

ishootaRUM300

Wondering who is using the E-tip and how it has preformed for you. What did you shoot? What range was it at? What was the blood trail like? I ask because one of the guys that I went to Colorado with said that there wasn't a very good blood trail if any blood trail at all on his muley. He shoot it at 400 yards. One of the other guys was using them on whitetail less then a 100 yards claimed the same thing.

I'm curious as to where you and the other guys are shooting these deer (shot placement)...to require a blood trail. I haven't heard any reports on the E-tip but it sounds less than effective.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]The guy that shot the muley had a double lung shot at 400 yards. Could not find the deer got his brother and he went back to his shotting spot and directed his brother. When they got to the deer still very minimal blood. He ended up putting a few more rounds in the thing before it was dead. He then came home to Minnesota and went whitetail hunting. He took a ten pointer that was under 100 yards. Shot placement was the same. No blood. When he found the deer the exit wound was the same size as the entrance. The other guy shoot a doe right behind the shoulder no blood. He also got a buck that he put a poorly places shot but should have had blood. Shoot it in the left rear and came out the right front. Claimed there to be no blood. Both of these were under 100 yards. Talked to Nosler to day and they said that they could see that happening at less then 100 yards because the bullet is moving to fast coming from 300 RUMS. I didn't ask if they would expect that out of 300 wins. They said to not expect as big of an exit wound out of the E-tip as you would the accubond or pration. These guy used to shoot factory sirroco's and are going to use them in their hand loads. I have went to the Cabela's web site and looked at the reviews of the E-tip there is a guy that posted that he shoot two elk and could not find them using the E-tip. He claims to have taken good shoots. What I got out of the conversation with Nosler is this bullet is a high shoulder shot bullet. I think I will burn up what Ihave left and if they switch to the Sirroco do to them haveing great experiences with them I might also.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 02:01PM (MST)[p]ishootaRUM300, I tried out the E-tip this July. 180 grainers in my 300wsm on a cow Oryx at 196 yards, it dropped her like wet rag. She was facing me slightly quartered to the left. I shot her where the right shoulder meets the body/neck and the bullet traveled about 24 inches through the vitals and stopped under the hide on her left side behind the ribs.

The bullet expanded exactly like the one they show in Cabella's Catalog a perfect mushroom on the top 3rd of the bullet with 100% weight retention and penetration.

You can see the small bump in her side, that's the bullet under the hide.
4b045f6931e11da1.jpg

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
4b0460aa3b95c77d.jpg

Well ishootaRUM300 I don't know what to say other than if a product doesn't perform well for you,....it doesn't really matter how well it does for others...you don't need to use it. Waaaaaay back in the early 70s I hunted with a Marlin 336 in 30-30 cal. I was using Federal ammo,...I had just about the same results that you're talking about with this E-tip bullet. I don't have a clue what bullet Federal used back then, but it was the worst performing bullet I've ever used. It never mushroomed properly...just peeled away the jacket and core to leave a shorter version of what left the barrel initially. The exit wound would be the same size as the entrance wound and the deer ALWAYS ran with very little if any blood trail to follow. I agree with you about using what works for you...I am a great fan of Nosler bullets, been using 130 grain ballistic tips for 12 years or more..some time back I shot 21 deer over the course of maybe 3 years ( I live in Alabama, seasons are liberal) that never moved out of their tracks after the shot, shot 'em high in the shoulder and that was that. Good luck on your next hunt!

Sounds like a fmj. I have heard a lot of the same story with the e tip. Lots of lost game. Maybe it will work good on grizzly, elk, moose and bigger plains game.

I shoot the winchester power point. I have had excellent luck with them from my .270 but I recently bought a 300 win mag and have shot an antelope and broke both front shoulders at 400 yards and found the mushroomed slug just under the hide. Folded him in half and threw him down. I also shot a muley buck in Nebraska at 15 feet with a similar shot and threw him to the ground too with the slug just under the hide. Surprised the krap out of me that it didn't rip a huge exit hole. My dad used the same setup on elk this year and got the same results.

I don't know what kind of blood trail they leave cause I have never had to follow one using these bullets.

Another muley buck was shot with the power point in Nebraska out of a 243 at 150 yards that broke both front shoulders but didn't throw it down. it tried one jump and was down.

That is the bullet I will be using until they discontinue it or change it. Did I mention they are really easy on the wallet too?

I heard this, I heard that. My friend said this, my friend said that. I shot two antelope, a muley and a bull last year, and three antelope so far this year all with the E-Tip. 180 grain, 3370 fps in a .300 RUM. I didn't need a blood trail for any of them. Yardages varied from 125 yards to 450. I didn't recover any bullets. So, on seven critters so far, I'd have to say they work VERY well. mtmuley

they have had the same affect as a patition on all the animals I've shot with them......very dead

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I just returned from a mule deer hunt on the Kaibab in northern Arizona where my hunter used a 180 grain E-tip in his 300 Win.

He shot a running mulie at 175 yards, hit him square in the neck, dropped like a rock!

Neck bones were shattered, and bullet exited, leaving a two inch hole.

I'd say they worked well in this situation.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

4b0cf87d5741ab3d.jpg

I nailed a barbary sheep with a 300 wsm etip....rocked his world. Did not need a blood trail. The bullet went completely through....devastated everything in it path. Would I use it again? Without a doubt.

JBone

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom