Who Here...

Jagerdad

Very Active Member
Who here + what year + results + level of enjoyment....last took Big Game Hunting, an open sighted old Rifle from Dad, Grandfather, a Family Heirloom or one bought.

I remember a time when I was a kid, most all men used open sights. Those who had money were very proud to have the very best optics, a Weaver K-4 scope. Yet many cussed at the scopes the first year or so due to missing game because they couldn't quickly see it through the scope.

If you have Hunted with a Winchester 94 or 92, what caliber was it..?

If you used a hand-me-down Military or Commercial Bolt, Pump, Semi-Auto etc...what caliber, what were the results, fun..? Misery..?

Does anyone remember the big fan club of the Williams Peep Sight..? Plus often a man had the same one box of ammo for many years..?

Have any arguments men had whilst sitting around the Campfire in reference to Rifle makes, Good/Bad cartridges for game and so on..?

My Mother in law (age 90) has fond memories using here 30-40 Kraig and has it ready if invited to Hunt (She's like a 40 yr old, still..!!!).

Jagerdad :)

I used my dad's .30/30 to take some deer.

When I was a bit older, 13, my brother gave me a new Savage 110 with a Weaver K4.

never shot a rifle without a scope, I am only 39. My Dad used a gun for a couple years without one as a kid but it has been a lonnng time for him too.

Ah, forgot I shot a bull in 2015 with a mzldr here in CO, no scope. Dad gave me the mzldr after his hunt in 2014. As close as I have got.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-17 AT 03:33PM (MST)[p]Sadly I missed 2 mulies with a muzzle loader and a shotgun hunt went awry once, but that one wasn't my fault.
So my answer is no.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-17 AT 03:55PM (MST)[p]I started out with open sights on a Marlin 336 30-30 lever action. I still use it and killed my biggest blacktail buck with it 10 or 12 years ago. Probably would make B&C but someone stole it about 5 years ago. It's the first really big buck I ever got, and probably my last. I showed a photo of that buck to my Dad but he had dementia and it didn't mean much to him. I still tear up about that. He gave me that rifle.

Some of my well to do friends got Williams Peep sights and I really liked them but I couldn't justify the price at the time.

And my best buddy has a 30-40 Kraig that he started out with. I always felt under gunned compared to him and he killed some really good bucks.

Dad bought two British Enfield .303 surplus rifles, one for me and one for him, when I was 14, in 1961. $15 each, as I recall. I hunted mule deer, whitetail, antelope and elk with it until I turned 24. Killed my first deer mule deer, antelope and my biggest whitetail with it, it had a elevator rear sight on it, but I never killed anything over a 100 yards away with it. Left it in Canada, with my sister, when I moved to the US in 1975, it disappeared. First scope I ever owned was on a Winchester 308, a wedding gift, from a friend that treated me like a son until the day he died. I miss him.

I own a take down 30-30 Winchester Model 94, made in 1907, and a Winchester 32 Special, Model 64, made in 1953, I think. Really enjoy shooting them both but have never pointed one at an kind of big game critter.

Course, open sight muzzle loaders, of varies kinds. Killed elk, and mule deer with some of them. Until 2016 never had a scope on any of them, now two of them are scoped.

Never owned a .22 rifle with a scope on it. Prefer open sites on my .22s.

DC

I've taken a lot of bears over the years with a pre '64 model 94 30-30 my grandfather gave me . A few years ago I gave it to my son and he took his first wild pig with it . Can't beat it for memories at close range.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-17 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]I killed a booner pronghorn in 2007 with an 1895 winchester in 405WCF with buckhorn sights....at 186 yards.

....If I had really known he was an 85" lope I would have used a gun I knew I could hit him with. I'm very lucky he stood still for the second shot.

Model 92 in 44 MAG!

My Signature is a Short Clip of NVB & His Coal Roller!
"We Better Get out of the F'N Way cuzz Ole NVB is Coming to MF'N Town"!

I used my dads 94 to take my first deer. a few years later I used my grandpa's 88 winchester (308 lever action ) to take a buck, as it was snowing and I had no scope covers for my 4 power weaver on my 06. I also carried my great grandads rifle that he had passed down to my grandma, and she then passed it to me. a Winchester 1886 it had a very long barrel 24" mabey in 23-35, I remember it said on the barrel "especially for new smokeless powder". I had this gun until her passing when my aunt ask what had happened to it because she said grandma had promised it to her, so after it being "my" gun for 4-5 years I stopped by her house and gave it to her.

A model 721. Open sights 270. My dad bought it in 1953 for $56 and hardly a year passed that it didn't put a bull elk in the freezer. He let me kill my first deer with it 32 years ago. I wasnt to sure when he said put it right on his neck so you don't ruin any meat. I still believe to this day that the gun did the job, not me. That day I told him someday I wanted to have that gun. He remembered. I got the gun last May:(

When I was young, we'd put in for Hunter Liggett doe tags and they were all open sights...shotgun slug. It wasn't easy and I missed a few deer. I will probably never do that again.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

94 Win 30-30 2 elk& dozens of deer & it is still always in my hunt truck.
8MM Mauser 1942 mod. excellent variable peep sight.Took a couple deer with it before selling to collector & getting my present 700 -06 30+ yrs ago.

The first time I got to carry a rifle deer hunting, my dad handed me a WWII 30 caliber M1 carbine. Over the next couple years, I never saw anything legal that I could shoot at with it, before I moved up to an old Springfield 30-06 with a fixed 4X scope. Killed my first muley the first year I packed that 30-06. But I still have fond memories of that carbine--wish my dad hadn't sold it to a collector.

I've used mostly open sights on muzzleloaders, until my eyesight finally got too bad (and scopes became legal). Shot my first deer with a .45 TC Hawken, I bought it right after seeing Jeremiah Johnson, the movie that is! I think the last animal I shot with open sights was this elk in 2006. 50 cal TC Renegade with short barrel, peep sight. Man I shot of game with that gun, sure wish I could still use it.

25282nmelk2006.jpg

I have a model 64 that my Grandpa bought in 1962 it has never been shot and still has the tag the amount he paid for it attached.
My old favorite and I bet I have killed more game with it than any gun I own is a Stevens single shot 20 gauge that I bought for $10 on my tenth birthday and still have it, the bugger kicks like a mule and of the kids I have let hunt with it hand it back to me and don't want to shoot it again.
My Dad hunted with his model 88 Winchester lever action 308 and I saw him bring down lots of game with it. Always a neck shot, when he left it to me I hunted with it for quite a few years but stopped using it as I didn't want to shoot the barrel out, it was bought in the 40's or 50's

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom