Which Tripod do you use?

B

Brandon82

Question for you backpack hunters. My tripod broke last season and am looking at getting a new one before scouting. Does anyone have any reccomendation? Has anyone used the High Country by Vortex?

I have a Slik 613CF. It's the lightest three stage tripod I could find that I would consider to be beefy enough to film and digiscope with.

It's not stiff enough to use fully extended if there is any wind, but if you sit down low and just adjust the legs enough to keep it level it's awesome. Most importantly it only weights 700 grams. If you get rid of the center extender it's almost like not having anything on your pack.

I use it almost every day in my truck instead of a window mount too.

One of the finest pieces of equipment I've ever owned.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks pete! Excellent review. i am going to go check them out. The Vortex Highcountry comes in at 2.1lbs so this is much better.

I use the high country. I would highly suggest adding a smooth panning head. The compact "ball" head included with the tripod is not user friendly enough for the long hours I spend behind glass.
The extra weight is worth it. IMO

Did you add a smooth panning head to yours? What did you use if you dont mind me asking?

I bought another tripod this past season because I was backpacking and glassing for Coues a lot. I wanted lightest weight, shortest compressed length, tallest working height, and ability to handle a spotter. I bought a Promaster Carbon T525P.
Max working ht of 53", folded length of 14 3/16", only weighs 2 lbs. 3 oz, has a spring loaded weight hook and can handle a heavy spotter. I have a Jim White head on it.

I use the outdoorsman for back packing. Its light and lt is a great tri-pod. I use a Manfrotto when weight is no consideration.

I also have the Slik 613CF, I cannot say enough good about it! I have used the Vortex High Country, Manfrotto and K&K in the past few years and the Slik is awesome! BTW, the High Country was too wobbly in the wind.

So with the Slik 613CF do you need to buy a head for it or does it come with the standard camera/spotting scope adapter? hard to tell from the site.

You need to buy a head separate.

The lightest head that works perfectly with a large spotting scope is the Manfrotto 492 mini ball head. I was able to use it with my Nikon EDIII and my Panasonic TM700 video cam and digiscoping adaptor just fine.

If you want to step up a bit and have something a little heavier, but that will allow you to pan and move around much more smoothly, try the Manfrotto 700RC2 "fluid head". The combo of the Slik 613CF and this head weights 2.50 lbs and is as smooth and light at you can get for the stiffness at any price.

There are tons of options, but I've found this one to be the ultimate compromise in quality, lightest possible weight and reasonably good stiffness for digiscoping.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom