What Made This?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Came across this on my TN ATV ride this weekend. Whitetail, elk, pigs, and bear in the area. A little early for WT to be rubbing. Seeing elk rubs, but never seen one like this. Bear scratching was my first thought, but must be a lazy bear as it's not very high.

Could be human, but it's a dead end trail with no evidence of recent riders.

Rub.jpg

Never seen a porcupine around here. And never seen one on trail cameras, and I've got a bunch of them around. A google search said TN was one of a handful of states that don't have them.

However, armadillos have been moving east across TN. I've seen some less than 50 miles from this spot, and there are confirmed reports of them in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Do they do this? Haven't seen any on my cameras tho.

Got me thinking...beavers in the area, but no ponds or year-round running water within a mile.

It could be porcupines but that looks like black bear damage to me. They strip the bark in the Spring time for the sap and kill lots of trees here on the west coast. Even Redwood trees.

It Wasn't A Beaver!

Never seen a porcupine around here. And never seen one on trail cameras, and I've got a bunch of them around. A google search said TN was one of a handful of states that don't have them.

However, armadillos have been moving east across TN. I've seen some less than 50 miles from this spot, and there are confirmed reports of them in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Do they do this? Haven't seen any on my cameras tho.

Got me thinking...beavers in the area, but no ponds or year-round running water within a mile.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom