What does this buck score?

Aerosith

Here is the best buck I saw on my archery mule deer hunt, he eluded me for 3 days. He would only show himself during the last 30mins of light. He has the largest body I’ve ever seen on a mule deer. I’m wondering what y’all think he would score? And how old this buck is?
IMG_1983.jpeg

IMG_1980.jpeg

IMG_1982.jpeg

IMG_1981.jpeg

Based on the thread where you called me out for judging a deer at 150”, you should know exactly to the inch.

Expert. :LOL:
Where did I claim to be an expert? When I asked for a score sheet... you ignored. Yet you come here bringing nonsensical drama. I have an Idea of what this buck scores, but it is always fun to hear other peoples thoughts.

Your hunt is over already? That's too bad.

Very pretty buck. His shorter main beams are probably going to keep him in the 160s.
I have to save time for hunts later in the year, the full moon also shutdown the morning deer activity making it near impossible to find them during the day. I had a really good stalk on this buck, I shot and missed him. It was a 55yd steep downhill shot and i got the range wrong, arrow flew right over his back.

IMG_1932.jpeg

Got him at 155. good buck but I can’t see 163 am I missing something?
View attachment 155028
Maybe??

Could be you're missing the 8 inches that would take this deer from 155 to 163...?

Nobody here KNOWS what he scores. Two deer with 50 lbs difference in body weight with similar sets of antlers can fool many folks. That 160 looks big on a small young buck and looks tiny on a huge bodied old buck. Now factor that 2 large bodied old bucks can actually be very different in body size and it makes the only other references you have when guesstimating antler score difficult to use. Such as head size, ear size etc.

Don't agree? Cool.

Let's guess the weight of this deer.

What's your guess?

I completely agree. But I never said that’s exactly what he scores. I figured it was implied that it’s a guess. I’m not sure how much he weighs but he looks like he has a giant body. Do you think he’s 300 pounds? Or less? I’m not a good weight guesser lol

I completely agree. But I never said that’s exactly what he scores. I figured it was implied that it’s a guess. I’m not sure how much he weighs but he looks like he has a giant body. Do you think he’s 300 pounds? Or less? I’m not a good weight guesser lol
You may be right on with your score and maybe weight too.

Yiu asked if you were missing something. Implying that you thought your guess was the right one and others were wrong. Might not have been your intention but it was the way it came across.

Don't worry. Nobody was offended. Just trying to explain the difference in opinion.

My point was the deer looks huge and there is no other deer or objects to compare to. The only reference of antler size is his head and body.

If his mains are 20 and spread 19 then there is 3 of the 8 you MAY be missing from other opinions. Add a 1/2 inch to 3/4 on every other tine and 1/4 inch on all mass measurements and it adds up. It would be very easy to miss or gain those by mistake.

You may be right on with your score and maybe weight too.

Yiu asked if you were missing something. Implying that you thought your guess was the right one and others were wrong. Might not have been your intention but it was the way it came across.

Don't worry. Nobody was offended. Just trying to explain the difference in opinion.

My point was the deer looks huge and there is no other deer or objects to compare to. The only reference of antler size is his head and body.

If his mains are 20 and spread 19 then there is 3 of the 8 you MAY be missing from other opinions. Add a 1/2 inch to 3/4 on every other tine and 1/4 inch on all mass measurements and it adds up. It would be very easy to miss or gain those by mistake.
Yea I definitely did not mean to come across that way. I agree with your point on the score. And based off these new pics I’m not sure if he’s 300 pounds?

What hunts are you saving time for? By the looks of it, you have a great archery tag in an area with more than one decent buck to chase... Does it get better than that? :)

That said, I think he's close to 170", but maybe not quite there...

What hunts are you saving time for? By the looks of it, you have a great archery tag in an area with more than one decent buck to chase... Does it get better than that? :)

That said, I think he's close to 170", but maybe not quite there...
This hunt was a low point Nevada archery deer tag.
1st. I also have a UT dedicated hunter tag, I scouted multiple 170"+ bucks.
2nd. NM 2nd archery elk tag, scouted multiple 340"+ bulls.
3rd. WY carbon county rifle sept-oct pronghorn tag.
4th. UT OTC early rifle bull tag.
5th. CO 3rd rifle bull tag.
I feel fortunate to have many good tags, that deer hunt was awesome but I have many other hunts that will require more time.

Last edited:
Maybe??

Could be you're missing the 8 inches that would take this deer from 155 to 163...?

Nobody here KNOWS what he scores. Two deer with 50 lbs difference in body weight with similar sets of antlers can fool many folks. That 160 looks big on a small young buck and looks tiny on a huge bodied old buck. Now factor that 2 large bodied old bucks can actually be very different in body size and it makes the only other references you have when guesstimating antler score difficult to use. Such as head size, ear size etc.

Don't agree? Cool.

Let's guess the weight of this deer.

What's your guess?
I'm not super experienced at judging body weight, but I would guess about 260lbs.

G1 1.5"/2"
G2 15"/15"
G3 9"/9"
G4 7.5"/6"
Main Beams 22"/22"
Mass 34"
Inside Spread 20"
This comes out to 163"
You are undercutting everything except the main beams a little. Mass I think it is likely you will be dead on. G-4s are a good bit bigger than you have estimated. I think main beams will be about 20-21.

Good luck on your other hunts.

I could be wrong, but I'm not seeing 22" MBs on that buck at all. I would give him less than 20".

160" give or take a few would be my guess. As others have mentioned, Velvet makes it tough.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom