what do I do?

mikeg44

so ive been up scouting an area and had 2 trail cams up on this tank and this s.o.b put a ground blind up rite were im hunting what would you do?

u hunt emm i stuff emm

Per the regs, it is first come first serve everyday. If you are there first in the morning or evening you get to sit it. A lot of guys will put up more than one blind, maybe you could work something out with the other hunter. Good luck

i want to meet him and do a trade off of you hunt one day i hunt the other day i just find it f***d up on that not cool and not a good sportsmen

u hunt emm i stuff emm

Welcome to Arizona. I wont hunt tanks for this reaason. Find the trail the deer are coming in on, and set up a few hundred yards away. Kill that buck before he hits water. Or set up your own blind at the tank and beat him to it in the morning. The other guy has as much right to the tank as you, so beat him to it. If its that great of a spot take your fart sack and stay in your blind until you have to leave.

So when does a trail cam equal ownership. Think how pissed he was when his secret spot got a trail cam on it!

Sorry, your camera does not equal an exclusive reservation. I would either try to work something out....or simply be there first. Hate to say it...but the poor sport is you at the moment.

>So when does a trail cam
>equal ownership. Think how pissed
>he was when his secret
>spot got a trail cam
>on it!

+1

I see no reason why you would be so upset over this to the point of calling the person a SOB. Unless the tank is located on your property then you have every right to get pissed at him. Yea it sucks to have this happen to you but it's all apart of the game especially when it comes to water located on public land. Maybe leave a note in the blind with your number and you guys can work it out before hand so there's no problems for either of you come opening morning.

Whats f'd up about it? That he's out there trying to scout and setting up places to hunt? Or that you think he's a s.o.b. cuz he took "your" spot you had a dumb camera on? I'm gonna go with the latter....

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-12 AT 00:28AM (MST)[p]you didnt say when the hunt starts -

what i've done is basically take it down and leave it in the spot . he's trying to claim the spot . a no no ! I agree with just be there first

but remove your camera or he may retaliate, lol

If you see that some else has been in there then dont bother it i think respect them dont just be a ##### about it do you people understand that

u hunt emm i stuff emm

We are blessed here in AZ to have more public land than we know what to do with. One of the trade offs to basically being able to hunt wherever you heart desires is dealing with other hunters. While it can be frustrating to find a place all to yourself, it could be worse, you could be paying thousands per year for a lease. You have a golden opportunity here to possibly make a friend. He's trying to do the same thing you are. If I were you, I'd leave a nice note and simply say that you want to avoid any and all conflict. Like I said, you could end up with a new freind. If the guy isn't willing to call you and avoid conflict, then start the who can wake up earlier game. So much heartache and stress could be avoided by just looking at things from the other guys point of view. Shoot, he could be thinking to himself "damn guides, think they own every water hole and claim it with cameras". Look at it this way, if he was such an SOB, why do you still have your cameras? Guy can't be all that bad.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

+1 on the replys. Just cuz you put your camera there doesn't mean its your spot! Welcome to public land hunting. Personally I think cameras should not be allowed, but that is my opinion and I will leave it that.

It is the way it is with public land hunting in AZ. You just deal with it as a responsible adult instead of a child.
I have gotten out of a brush blind that I have built on a tank to let a complete stranger hunt it. I had time nearly everyday to hunt, he had that afternoon. And I felt good about doing it.

Common sense and courtesy still can go a long way in this world.

I unknowingly camped near a tank that the camp down the road was planning on hunting. I had scouted the area several times prior to the hunt and needed a spot to water the horses with feed. Never saw anyone else scouting it or anyones camera. We had our whole camp set up with trailers and tents and the other camp came over and told us we basically screwed thier plans. I felt bad for taking the tank from them, but we talked it over and now we are great friends. Blinds and cameras have created a lot of contention between people that have never met. Not all, but most hunters are like minded and reasonable. Its funny what a basic man to man conversation can result in. My advice is go there opening morning if you cant find an alternate tank and work it out. I have also had people set up blinds on a tank I planned on hunting only to take them down right before the opener. The joys of hunting public land...

Antelope, Deer, Turkey, and Elk hunt are all comming up in the next month. How does that guy know what hunt your camera is for? If hunting worked the way you think, all the hunters might as well go home and not hunt because there are cameras on almost every good tank, atleast in the units I hunt. What hunt do you have? I have 6 cameras on tanks that have multiple cameras on them as well. I use them to locate if there is a good buck in the area. Im not trying to sound like a #####, but just because someone has a blind and you have a camera on a tank doesn't mean that someone has to stay away from it. 99% of the hunters these days only hunt fri, sat, and sun. So are we supposed to stay away from that tank Mon. through thursday because your camera is on it? Read the regs, they explain the honorable way to handle this. I don't sit water often, Most of the Big bucks are too smart now days, but when I do, I park my truck well over a mile away, right off the road, with a nice sign that says hunter on Blind, please be respectful. Never had another guy bother me since I started putting up signs in 10 years, ever. Just some food for thought. Get there first, thats how it works, plain and simple, nobody owns anything out there.

The hunter in blind sign doesn't always work. A few years ago my dad & I had a blind set up on a tank with the rhino parked about 1/2 mile away next to the sign. This guy rolls up in a hummer parks right next to the tank, gets out checks for hoof prints, then sees our footprints & follows them to blind set up 50 yards away. After we said were in the blind he says sorry then stands next to the blind for 5 minutes so we got out and packed up. He showed up right at the perfecting ending daylight hours. Thats public land hunting, but you would think he would of stopped when he seen the sign cuz the road stopped at the tank.

You have to be kidding.
There are cameras everywhere.
People like you make public land and water hole hunting a nightmare.
For all he knows your scouting for elk and he is planning an archery deer hunt

But since you asked what do you do, my answer is get real.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-12 AT 10:02PM (MST)[p]The problem with the hunter in blind sign is guys will put them up and will not even be sitting the tank(saving it fo a back up plan). Also in some of the more well known trophy elk units, they will even have family members or friends sit the tank and they dont even have a tag. In your case your hunting rig was right there, so the other hunter should have respected that.

Azdogman is right cameras are everywhere especially on the strip.

I've heard that, and I don't doubt it, its cut throat out there. never seen it happen, but when I come across a sign I don't disturb the area so I guess there is no way to confirm if they are in there or not. I've just been very fortunate to have never really been messed with when I put one out. Which isn't very often.

We would never put the sign out if we were not using the blind. The main reason we even put a sign up at all was because the road ended at the tank, but it is public land and you take your chances we didn't get upset. We actually thought it was funny that the guy just stood there.

>If you see that some else
>has been in there then
>dont bother it i think
>respect them dont just be
>a ##### about it do
>you people understand that
>
>u hunt emm i stuff emm
>

mike - kinda funny because most of us have been hunting the same areas for generations. who's to say the new trail cams aren't the neebie , just because he found our spot doesnt mean I'm gonna go find another

one does not have to be an ass - like takin down a blind set-up 2-3 weeks before season - just lets them know hey this isn't how its done

I was elk hunting with some friends last year and we got to a top of a hill overlooking a water hole and a meadow were we put four bulls to bed the night before. We set up three tripods with glasses on them and right at sunrise we had a truck pull right beside us and starting setting up their glasses within ten feet of our glasses. We asked them to move to another location and they said they would not that they have just at much right as we do to be their. About 30 minutes later both parties spotted the elk and the other group hauled butt in their truck to cut the elk off and we hiked trying to get their first and just as we spotted the elk and got are wifes set up the other group shot the elk. We were upset but that is public land hunting and I wouldn't have it any other way, but it would be nice if hunters would think more about ethics and respect then just harvesting game.
So i say who ever ends up at the water hole fist that day gets to hunt it and the other guy go to his back up plan.

It doesnt matter first come first serve im sure i will have the same issues on my elk hunt but we dont own the tanks so thats life i have built a couple water tanks in the desert that hold water all year long and people use it all the time.So if i was you hit it early and sit on it the rest of the day .My elk hunt 2 years ago i was fighting over a tank with 2 guides from mclendons guide service , so i would get there at noon and sit tell dark sorry (fu!!!) would pass buy with there pick up several times we had 2 blinds set up on it and my boss hit the 4oo plus bull they wanted was alot of drama so just get in early and he might go to a differnt tank good luck

I put multiple stands up and cameras out and the spots aren't mine just because I have stuff setup on them. If someone gets there 1st its there's for that time even if they were in my stand, but if I'm there 1st the next day I expect the same in return.

Yes having a camera up doesn't show ownership of the tank/water hole. Everyone has the right to put up cameras. Just be glad he didn't steal it like other people do.

Welcome to hunting. If your on public land then we better all get along and try not to get in each others way. Nothing is secret, so you probably won't have any area or animal to yourself.

Don't be the guy that intentionally screws someone else just cause your frustrated. Sooner or later you'll accidentally mess someone up on an animal , or vice versa, but don't become the guy that does it on purpose or the favor will be returned.

Most folks are friendly until you give them a reason not to be.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

MuleyBull couldn't have said it better. It's public land. We are lucky to be able to hunt on public land. You are both wanting to kill a great animal, so respect and not jealousy should be the solution.

Craig Steele

You could ask to work a gentelmas's agreement, but if he/she and or anyone else, hunter or not, wants to hang out there, totally legal on public land. Small price to pay for the awesome public land opportunity we have:)

Craig,

I am going to disagree with you. PUBLIC LAND is our land and I dont feel we are lucky to be able to hunt on it. Those in power may want us to feel that way, but it is our land as much as anyone elses. I do agree that we should be respectful to each other and respect and obey the laws of the land.

Remember, yielding to the first person on scene is ethical but not the law. Hogging a hunting spot is not ethical either IMO. Generally I don't sit water, don't need the drama. Those who do get plenty as the OP is finding out.
I ignore cameras, blinds, signs, etc. All these claiming behaviors tend to make me think less of fellow hunters.
Hunters often are camped out on a water source dawn to dusk. I try not to disturb their sit at prime time but will check a water source if I think it's necessary. After all, the land belongs to all of us. Exclusive use of a public resource? I think not.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom