what caliber will you be using opening day??

• Thread starter mywifeishotterthentiffany
  • Start date
I NO longer own any guns :) since the new law next year about filing the guns on your 1040 tax form was something I didn't want to do I got rid of all my guns. So I will have to say either a speer with a 5000 grain knife on it or a bow with 100 gr broadhead and NO NO Guns. ;)

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

anyone with more time then myself care to tally up the calibers listed so far?

It would be interesting to see what the spread is and most popular these days.

The tally would be interesting although the hunters on this site probably don't represent a true cross-section of the hunting public. I think most on here are a little more serious and progressive.

I've seen a bunch of the good ole stuff along with an inordinate amount of the new stuff ie wsm, rum, saum, wildcats etc. I've not seen a bad chioce on here for a deer rifle with just a couple exceptions.

It's fun though to see the opinions. It makes me wonder how much of the opinion is backed up by lots of experience. Haha

Zeke

We (family) used 270 win, 300 wsm, 7mm wsm, 340 wby, 308 win and ALL worked well within their limits.

>The tally would be interesting although
>the hunters on this site
>probably don't represent a true
>cross-section of the hunting public.
>I think most on here
>are a little more serious
>and progressive.
>

that is what would make the tally interesting, at least to me. If you go with the assumption that members here are a bit more educated and serious about their weapon of choice. For example, the hunting public hears that the 30-06 is the only way to go and is the most well known, so one could hypothesize that the 06 is the most popular due to hearsay not because of experience. Whereas on here you could argue the opposite (albeit may not be a successfull arguement).

True.

And, as you know, popularity does not mean best or most efficient. A 22LR is the most efficient caliber but not the best. A 300 RUM is not the most effficient but it is one of the best IF the shooter can handle it. If not, then the 308 win that my wife whacked her big 3pt with would make a better choice. (braggin' a little)

What were we talking about? At my age I tend to ramble a little! LOL

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-10 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p]>300 win mag! Ruger M77 Mark
>2 laminate stock stainless barrel
>with a brand spankin new
>Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50!
>

For Me:
7mm Rem Mag. -Ruger M77 Mark 2 laminate stock and stainless barrel with a new Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope with turrets.

Ought Six, but Season is almost over and I'll be using the heat-seeking moisture missile of love from there on in to the New Year.

Rump

300 Rum Mule deer and elk!
7mm on blacktail
wife and kinds 270 win.
Nocalhonker

Me, Savage 30.06 165 Sierra Game Kings.
The old man ( 80) got his cataracts fixed and can see his open sites again.
Model 99 .300 Savage. His last deer hunt.

Started with my 300RUM till I found I knocked it out of wack. Finished with the 270WSM hand loaded 140gr sst, but will NEVER use them again. Recovered the bullets and they were only 40gr and 73.1gr If you ask me that is not very good weight retention.

I'm a little shocked I'm the first to say I hunt with a Ruger M77 in .280 Rem. 130 grain Barnes XBT topped with a Leupold VariX II 3.5-9. My Dad reloaded enough ammo for me to hunt til I'm 60! This is the only gun I've been hunting with for the past 15 years. I don't plan on buying another hunting rifle. This gun/round is great out to 500 yards. If I can't get within that yardage, I'll simply try to get closer. I love the way this gun shoots.

Steve
T&A Inspector

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-10 AT 08:44AM (MST)[p]>Started with my 300RUM till I
>found I knocked it out
>of wack. Finished with
>the 270WSM hand loaded 140gr
>sst, but will NEVER use
>them again. Recovered the
>bullets and they were only
>40gr and 73.1gr If you
>ask me that is not
>very good weight retention.

Great caliber. I love the 270wsm. You've had the same experience with the (sst/most other hornady) bullets that I have. The only good Horny bullet I've used in the 270wsm is the 130 innerbond.

If you want a great bullet that has NEVER let me down in and caliber you should try the Barnes X line. I use the TTSX in almost everything we shoot.

Best, Zeke

Wizard ta/steve

I used a 280 for years and in a moment of weakness sold the gun to a friend. Bad move.
I have plans to build a 280ai, in the near future, to replace the one I sold.
The BC is generally higher for the 7mm 140 than it is for the 130/277 or the 150/308. When combined with the velocity, which can be acheived with the 280, it really is excellent for longer shooting.
Cool cartridge.

Zeke

I am using a T3 lite in 300wsm, w/ a 6.5 x 20 Vortex viper. shooting a 165 speer boat tail at around 3200 fps. So far its working good.

Only rifle I used this year so far is a 243AI and its quickly becoming my favorite. Shooting 95grVLD but working on a load for the 105VLD. Taken 2 deer, 1 antelope, 1 pig and a few squirrels. Have a CA ML tag so the t/c omega 50cal will be used.

I Use a 338/378 Weatherby, while my dad swears by his 300RUM. I Killed a cow last year and 2 mule deer bucks with my 338/378. i beleive both great guns.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-10 AT 05:08AM (MST)[p]CO Mule Deer - Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .257 Why Mag w/ 117 gr Sierra Game Kings.

MI Whitetail Deer - Ruger Mark II Ultralight in .308 w/ 180 gr Nosler Partitions.

MI Whitetail Deer (ML) - TC Triumph Bone Collector Edition in .50 caliber.

GrizlyHunter

Should have asked to show the cost for a box of 20 also. Some of the newer stuff is 50 and 60 bucks a box. Unreal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom