What caliber did you take?

hunting1

As I do the countdown and get things ready just curious as to what caliber you took for plains game? What was your average shot distance? Not asking for advice but more just curious is all, thanks.

First trip took 270 and 300 Win Mag; our second trip bigger plains game 375 and 300 Win Mag. Smaller plains game our average has been 100 to 150 yards and larger plains game last trip 175 to 325 yards. Most important is being accurate, know where to shoot Africa game further forward, and having a great bullet and not a soft.

I have used a 257 weatherby alot 100 grain barnes ttsx

270 win with 130 grain barnes ttsx and 300 win mag 180 grain ttsx.

A good bullet is more important then caliber and hitting the right spot.

Ranges can be 50 yds to 400 normally depends on what area you are hunting. I tell anyone going only shoot what range your ok with. You wounded an animal your paying for it so dont be afraid to say no to a Ph if you dont think you can make the shot

My first trip in 1998 I shot 7mag with 154 Interlocks. Not a good enough bullet. I didn't lose any animals but we had to track a couple longer than we should have. After that it was .375 H&H with 260 partitions. No fooling around.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom