What attracts you??

F

frednfrog

I recently took over as the archery section chairman at our local shooting range and trying to revitalize the 3D shooting. I want to host a couple of big shoots annually and looking for info from other 3D'ers as to what attracts you guys to the shoot. What makes you pick one over the other or makes a shoot a must attend for you. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

For me I like walk through style courses opposed to a course that is basically just lined up.

The more the targets are set up like different hunting situations the better.

Then how about targets where the shooting lane is setup where it is either required to sit/kneel or set up where that is the only option...

I personally hate going to a 3D shoot to have every target at 20 yards. It gets old. Sure have some smaller targets at 20 yards but mix it up. Have a few out to 50 or 30 at a steep downward or uphill angle or a 40 across a ravine or a 30 with a small window to shoot through. Make it real. Just mix it up some.

BEAVER....

littlebeaver.jpg

a32_cleaners.jpg

I definitely agree with some of these opinions, different ranges for the targets is a big one. Also putting the targets in real hunting situations, up/down shots etc. Realistic pricing for the shoot. Sucks to pay too much money on a shoot and then all the targets are 20 to 30 yards. That may be realistic back east but not out west.

I'm a big fan of smoker rounds and clout shoots. Also food and drink and something to keep the kiddies busy.

In a word, distance. I don't shoot at animals at long distance, but I LOVE to practice long distance.
Not just long distance shots, but distance between targets. When the terrain allows, long distance BETWEEN targets allows for a more realistic experience.
While I am on the topic or realistic experience, how about some steep angles, or angles that force you to lean around trees, have to sit to miss overhanging obstacles, etc.

Love the metal plate option somewhere in the round. Big metal plate with softball sized hole cut out. Make the shot and you get double 10 ring, miss it and kiss your arrow goodbye. Fun when you hear the "CLANG" all across the the range.

Sounds like you guys would love our shoot - FCBA - Fall Jamboree is July 30 & 31st north of Mancos, CO - camping, fishing, great targets, novelty shoots, bionic ram, plenty of distance between targets. Comp round Sat, Smoker on Sunday. Kids shoot.

3 courses

Great family time.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

I love the idea of more 3D shoots.
I second, what every one has said. Harder. longer, more realistic shots. Put a few targets up with trees, bushes, branches in the way. Make them real world.

Possibly have a couple choices of where to shoot from. The harder the shot, the higher the points reward. The archer can choose to play it safe or higher risk.

Thanks for the input. 30inch I would love to get up there and shoot with you guys sometime. Won't be able to make the July shoot this year I will be getting out course set for our shoot Aug. 6th and 7th here in Los Almos. Would love for some of you Four Corners boys to come down and shoot with us. And any of the rest of you that would like to come as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom