Utah muley tactics!!

D

dabuckmaster24

Going up to the manti la salle or something. Can anybody give me any tips on hunting these mullies. Never hunted mullies before. Also should I stalk them in the valley or in the mountains. all help would be very helpful!!!

With the screen name you've got, i should ask you!

Muleys are adaptable and you will find them everywhere, valley stalking is tough, but so is climbing high. it all depends on what you want to do.
If you'd get more specific with your questions its easier to get answers.

Find a high spot and use your optics, once you have them spotted wait till they bed down and then put a stalk on them.

Hard to give you advise without more specific questions...

Are you going to be able to do any scouting?

We will arrive on a friday morning and season starts on saturday. So I will get to scout some. I just want to know should I hit the mountains and glass in morning and then stalk and go to the valley's in the evenings. My buddy said he saw about 35 mulies hit this one watering hole one evening. I am just trying to find the best tactic more experienced hunters have used. I am willing to try anything. So is what I need to do is find a good buck glassing and then try to cut him off, or should I just follow him until he beds and then sneak up from behind. Sounds easier said than done. If you tell me something that works for you I will try it. Should I hit the woods and still hunt? We will be able to hunt 7 days morning and evening, so it isn't going to be a real short trip. Also will I increase my chance that much more by getting so far away from everyone it takes half a day to get there? Or just glass like hell, until something looks good. Sorry just never had to stalk anything before. Whitetail are just so dam predictable. I appreciate all of your help.

Well if it was me I would find a high place to glass FIRST thing in the Morning, used the Friday you arrive to locate a high glassing spot and be there BEFORE first light, this means you have to hike 1 hour or so depending on how far the spot is from where you camp, and glass the country side, the deer may only be visible for 30 min or so, and glass the shadows, usually by the time the sun has hit the mountainside they are bedded.

Remember the thermals in the morning are (1) flowing up-hill so that's the advantage of being high up first thing, (2) most will bed down looking down hill, so you have to approach from above them, if you try and come on them from down hill you will get busted.
The waterhole would be a good spot for a stand in the evenings, as the deer probably have watered before first light before heading to bed for the day.
scouting is the secret and as you wont be scouting before opening day you will have to do it the first couple days you are there, find the critters and then make your plan's. If you have a trail cam set it up on the waterhole. the weather will be hot so water and shade to stay cool.

Short abbreviated technique, but there you go...

If you can get some more specifics on where you might be headed the information could be more specific. The Manti Lasal mountains are maybe a few hundred square miles, but if you are headed to the Manti Lasal National Forest your looking at a few thousand square miles. Lots of differant ways to hunt the varied terrains in that large of an area. But the general information presented is very good.

Very good advice. Glass,glass, and more glass....saves on the boot leather! The further away from other people you can get the better.

I didn't read as to what weapon you were using, i'll assume rifle. the "stalk" part of a rifle hunt is a bit easier than that of a bow hunt but reguardless, the smart old bucks will know you are there unless you are really careful.

Good luck on your hunt. and feel free to ask any specific questions, if i(we) can help,i'll try.

TAG

477ae34e5b284072.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom