Utah Changes in Fish Size

cannonball

Very Active Member
While realizing this is a hunting forum, I don't know where there are more readers than here. Not only are the fishing licenses going up which is well needed, but the size of fish planted are going down in most cases. Starting this year 10" fish released last year will from now on be 8" fish. The ones I caught are closer to 7" fish. The fish and game need your imput. I was told by one of the DWR's finest a couple of weeks ago, that the main office is dictating this policy and they think as long as the fishermen are catching fish they don't care what size. I got a hold of the regional man in charge of the southern utah fisheries a couple of days ago and his indication was that he rarely hears from anyone regarding the size of fish being planted. If you are as upset as I am regarding the way our DWR is handling our fish planting changes please contact them.

P.S. You Southern Utah Fishermen - Did you know about 90% of browns are being planted in Utah are planted in southern utah. Very, very few are being planted north of the Payson/Dixon line. I have never liked the skinny, white meat brown for eating. Then again I don't keep many fish to eat anyhow. You freeze them - You ruin them.

Anyhow the DWR needs to hear from you!!

Cannonball,
The planters are for the kids! Quit fishing the Glenwood irrigation dam and go find some big fish!!!!

Come on up north and we'll find some good ones!

I love browns! I wish they would plant browns instead of rainbows in Northern Utah. They are more aggressive and more fun to catch.

In my opinion some fisheries should be managed for trophy fish and some should be managed for kids to have fun and people to keep fish.

Gas costs to much Cody so I need to stay close to town or I guess I could go catch some dinky brookies. One thing about it being over 65 the proposed increase does not include us old farts. Oh, I could go down to the Ottercreek, set up the trailer, and fish week in and week out. I understand bottled fish taste real great!!

All kidding aside, reducing the size of fish in Deep Lake and Big Lake really upset me, but I would rather get skunked at Deep Lake than catch a limit of two pounders at flat sage brush covered Ottercreek.

Keep all the 7 inchers that you want and let the big ones go. I cannot believe that they are planting brown trout as they have a tendency to outcompete most all species in most waters and sustain populations well.

On the green last year, I did a taste test with a couple of smaller fish, 1 was a brown and 1 was a rainbow and the brown tasted better.

The smaller planter size on Deep Lake and Big Lake does suck. Those fish really put on the weight and are great grocery fish by the end of the fall. Its a shame they winter kill every year. With the available feed they'd be giants few they lasted a couple years.

Those two ponds did make a great old folks and family place to fish because they put on so much weight during the summer and that's not to mention the beautiful country around them. The fish growth in Big Lake was second to none. Not quite so good in Deep Lake.

Read my lips - All of you Utah Fishermen who fish any body of water that is heavily planted each year(even if there is a large hold-over) is really going to notice a difference.

If they(DWR!) are planting enough fish,it ain't gonna matter!

HELL SAKES!

You can't eat Planters & I don't care if they weigh 5 Pounds!

I know a Guy that used to find out where & when the DWR was Dumping Planters & usually had his Pole casted in before the Plant truck left!

I don't eat as many Fresh Trout as I should!

But if I'm eatin one it's gonna have some size to it or a Native that's been living in the waters I caught it out of for several years!

Now the part you're sayin where the DWR claims people just wanna catch a Fish & don't care what size they are sounds like the same Practice of the TARDville Deer Herd management!

The PISSCUTTER Fish & Bucks/Bulls are gonna live another day if I have any say in the matter!

JUDAS!

Let em Grow up!

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

This really takes the fun out of fishing. Too bad what a waste. Those fish will winter kill without the interest they previous generated. They were previously so fun to catch and so worth puttin in the fry pan. Now where is the incentive to pull in throw back little bitties. They were previously amazing fighters and excellent fare. Late fall fishin is now the only game. Too bad it's when all the hunts are.

I don't think the prices should have gone up for one!! And they need to plant fish worth it, they also need to plant more fish in the rivers! An area I camp and fish had thousands of fish stocked in the uintah lakes and the river got 150 put in it. That is piss pore!!!

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

They probably wouldn't read it here. Help the Cause!! Call or write the Division or Main Office DWR Fisheries.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom