Unit 51 Moose Tag!

SmokinHunter

Hey All, long time lister, first time caller... that's how it goes right?

Anyways, let's get to the point. My dad got lucky this year and drew out for what looks like a tough moose hunt in Unit 51. He knew that going into it, and we aren't ones to shy away from type 2 fun, so we are really excited to get out and work hard. From all of the reading and research we've been doing, we are prepping for long days in the field and prepping our mental attitudes to never discount a bull moose for what it is.

One of my favorite things to read are semi-live hunt threads that start with preseason scouting and make their way through the end of the season so I'll be giving updates on the hunt in this thread throughout the process. I'm looking forward to this!

My Dad is an Idaho resident, but I live in Utah. I love escouting and am hoping to do quite a bit before I can make the time to get up there and check it out. In the meantime, if anyone has some experience with this unit, I'd love some pointers. Also, if any of you are elk hunting or deer hunting the unit this year, I'd love to connect so we can share what each other finds!

My family has elk hunted this unit half a dozen seasons. Doesn’t strike me as Moose rich like some other places, but we’ve seen our share. Biggest catch is most are up high with elk and no where near road so come in shape with a good pack. I’d expect over 1000’ min of vertical, possibly 2500’. Largest we ever saw was above us where we hiked up to find a bull elk 2000’ above the truck and the bullwinkle was 1000’ above us, around 9500’ elevation, just cruising.

It’s not a unit that would be hard to find them in, but plan to move often, by truck, and Glass Glass Glass with packs and gun ready to go.

I agree with previous post that they might be over 1000’ above the bottoms, but I think moose are usually found near water. I know that Wyoming generally advises moose hunters to bring waders. I would also recommend to learn how to call moose. Some people can do this by mouth, using hands to pinch nose, adjust pitch, and resonate the sounds. I had some success with that myself.

I was able to be part of a moose hunt in 50 two years ago and I got mine in 49 last year so the neighboring units. They can be found just about anywhere. The one we harvest in 50 was bedded under a cliff in the sagebrush like a muley would be... And I shot mine in a creek bottom. Good luck and be sure to keep us updated.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom