Unit 39 early buck tag

Hambone

Ok I am new to this! I have a unit 39 buck tag that opens the 15th of this month. I have been scouting the shawnholm/steel mt. area. Have seen some deer but nothing to scream about. Any Idaeas of where I can look in the next weekend and a few days? I heard that this was the forum to get some help with idaes. I don't someone to dirrect me to a buck just some fresh ideas of where to look. Thank you for the help.

I think that your on the right track....Just get out early in the morning and scout. You should be able to find a decent buck. good luck

ssounds better than i have done brother drew the tag and is kinda counting on me to guide him to one bigger than his forkie but this would happen to be the one year i havent been up nearly enough havent seen even a doe yet but the year i had this tag seen the biggest bucks of my life and nothing to show for it except a good ole tale

I've seen a few decent bucks up around North Star lake, and the head of sheep creek. I ride a bike in from the long gulch rd side. Spend as much time as possible glassing the shaddows in the upper 1/3 of the ridges.

My buddies and I had that tag a few years back and it was really tough. We found some good bucks out in the desert country and one buddy did end up shooting a 24-incher out there.

We spent about 8 days hunting with few deer seen. It was tough. We did see a few up in some cuts and then those out in the desert.

Good luck.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Thanks Guys. Great tips! I am going out again this weekend. I have 11 Days labor day time frame. I am going into sheep mt. from the roaring river trail head then. I will keep you updated . Thanks again for the tips!

was up there on sunday and monday didnt see a thing but kinda hard doin anything when the hunter himself is under prepared i warned him what he was up agianst

It warmed up quickly after the sun came up on Sunday.I wanted to hut Monday and Tuesday but I guy at work had to have surgry and I could not get it off. I am going back out tomorrow.

Update. Hunted this weekend and no deer to call a shooter. In fact no deer seen at all. Going to move to rooring river sheep mt. trail and see what I can find over there. Work back into the sheep creek area. Thanks again for the tips.

went out tuesday missed a good looking 4x he rushed the shot got a lil excited later that night missed a 3x4 again back out next monday. his daughter is in town (and he says he doesnt get buck fever)

Nothing new to report. I am about to leave for a 11 day stay out hunting and fishing my area.Let you know how I do when I get home!

Unit 39 has so much nice looking areas, but once you start hiking back in there you all of a sudden realize there are more hunters back there then there are deer. I tried for unit 40 this year but it was a no go, so part of my season will be in unit 39 and the other part in unit 22. Sure hope I don't end up eating tag soup again this year.

went out yesterday decided to try the land i got permision for saw about 30 deer withen two hours two bucks for sure one was a decent one wanna get him to go up today so he might be able to tag out on his bday but well see

Nice one, I was trying to hone in on a landmark or something that might help me recognize that part of 39. Am drawing a blank. But still very nice buck for 39. Am sure it will taste great on the BBQ, nice backstrap butterfly steaks.

it at the base of house its one of the fingers (i guess youd call them) coming from the mtn he seemed pretty happy im glad it wasnt 100 degress considering i was pack mule

Yes that has to be one of the biggest bucks I have seen come out of 39. I have heard stories about some real toads up there. But still a very good job, hell I would be happy as all get out to get one like that.

the one i pulled out a few years ago was bigger and i have one around the same size ive been watching for a few days now hopefully he donest get dropped before rifle season

Ya I couldn't resist that one. Anyone see the local paper here in Boise? one of the outdoor guys wrote a story about the Grahm area and kinda ticked off a guy. I must admit thats beautiful country up there, been part of the way back in there, that poor old road beats ya ta death. Never seen any animals back there thou.

Well made it home from 11 days hunting and nothing to report. Seen some deer but not like I would have liked to see. I will keep tring till the 30th. Looking like tag soup at this point.

78122010_kyles_buck.jpg

better pic of hes g3 its longer then my forearm

Very nice buck. Congrats. Haven't seen anything close to that big yet in my scouting trips into 39. I'll keep putting some miles on my feet and try to get away from the crowds/roads and hope this strategy will pay off for my first year hunting in Idaho.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom