Unit 30 Elk

t_boneking

Well I got lucky and drew this tag as a non resident. I hunted it a few years back with my dad and we had a fun hunt. I'm just curious to see what the quality is out there now. I'm not real concerned about score I just want to have a fun hunt and hopefully get a good bull with my bow. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Me and my daughter had the tag '18 and hunt with rifles.Me and a buddy was there two days before it opened(monday)and found a some elk but not like in the past when I've had the tag.I killed my bull Tuesday evening(310ish) 6 point and my daughter killed hers Wednesday evening.(280ish) 6 point.talked to one hunter that said he had found 350ish bull but couldn't make it happen.

Thanks for the info! I look forward to hunting hard and seeing what I can turn up. Either way it will be a fun hunt!

I just wanted to give a quick follow up to my hunt. Yesterday I was able to take a good bull. I had a ton of fun on my scouting trips and days hunted and saw lots of bulls in some really unique elk country. This was by far the best bull that I saw. I had just got done with a 14 day unsuccessful archery hunt in Arizona so I was grateful for the change of scenery!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-19 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]https://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/4891988caae4fffad4f809e824acd39d68585.jpeg

36356d931130bedb84e99af8d797da52f18d5.jpeg

86619707f697a230e42428ee8af7402b75ee8.jpeg

23227d59f0524669d4e40b09671dc7cc4b8bb.jpeg

Great bull! I would love some more details or play by play on the hunt. Looks like some dry open (but broken) country out there. I am curious how it all played out and your strategy. I would love to draw a similar tag someday. My experiences have mostly been chasing them in the timber. I would welcome the change in scenery too bit I am not sure I would know how to bowhunt elk in slim cover like that! Well done!

You are correct. The unit I hunted consists of some really unique elk country. It is unlike any place I have ever hunted. There are some areas that are more like prairie, then there are some area of canyon country with cedars and junipers. The elk really seem to like these areas. As far as strategy I just got to a high point and started glassing at first light. As the sun rose there were groups of elk in every direction, with lots of bulls bugling. The area I was hunting there were enough trees and broken cover that I could have stalked in on multiple bulls. I continued to glass till I found a bull I wanted, the one I ended up shooting. He actually seemed to be injured from the rut and he was bedded in a creek bottom under a bluff. There was enough cover that I was able to stalk in to within 260 yards. I waited for him to stand and feed and I made a few good shots and it was over. Hunting open country is awesome. You can see plenty and it is easy to bow hunt. I also spent a few days bow hunting and I had opportunities and saw lots of bulls.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom