unit 3/301 public land

elkaholic123

Does any one out there want to share their knowledge of public land starting points for 3rd season rifle deer,camping places and so on.We are looking at bringing our sons for their first out of state hunt. Thanks

I can proably help you when your hunt gets close, that's my back yard!! Me and the family went for a ride out there yesterday afternoon, and we seen several good bucks, I just wish I had a better camera to reach out and get some good pictures, it's on the wish list!! LOL
I couldn't put in this year, because I wasn't quite a resident yet, and there isn't any left over, so I'm not really sure where I'm going to chase deer. But keep in touch with me and when your hunt gets close I can proably help you out a lot, I travel that country daily!! It should be a great hunt!!

- Brent.

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-07 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]If you scroll down to the 3rd section on deer it says there is like 353 permits left and it does not say private land next to it!I am not sure how to read the list so I might be wrong!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-07 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-07 AT 10:46?PM (MST)

D_Deer F_Female 003= unit Three 3R=Third season rifle!The does are almost self loading in this unit!Just open the tailgate!

We hunted Craig last year. Private ranch though. Not to kill it for ya but I have never seen that many hunters in one town at one time. I dont have much advise about the public land in that area but I can tell you if your planning on going make sure you get your hotel reservations NOW or campsite or whatever..... I cant stress enough how many guys are in town during the third season, it is a great place though. From what I saw at the meat lockers looks like theres alot of game on public land..... Seemed like lots of OTC elk hunters

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-07 AT 11:21PM (MST)[p]I have heard that it gets pretty crowded around these parts during the hunts. oh-well where isn't anymore? It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I hope everyone gets their reservations if staying in hotels, they are almost always booked year round it seems!!
The only permits I see on the left over list for 3/301 deer are either for does or Private land, and I just can't afford to take myself, wife and 2 boys to shoot 4 bucks on private land!! I wish though, I have seen a number of good ones on both private and public!! Maybe next year?

Anyone have any suggestions for us, as far as where I could chase deer with my family? I am willling to try anywhere that there might be left over permits.

I have hunted GMU 211 for deer and found lots of game on public land,yes there are other hunters out there ,but it was not crowded as say GMU 12.Went there a couple of years ago and it was busier than a flea market,not going back for general rifle season ,ever. Only muzzleloader hunting for me, where tags are limited in the draw.

There are lots of public area in 3/301. Check a BLM map. ALso, there is lots of state trust land. Check out the STL just out of Maybell called "Maybell State Trust Land". There is a huge block of land up just south of the WYO border and slightly to the west. I plan to personally hunt the Maybell STL the second season this year, have a buck tag, saw several bucks last year but didn't have a buck tag. I could have easily taken a doe but I was waiting to give my grandson a chance. We did take 2 does in a day and a half and saw several bucks.
I definitely would NOT recommend the northern areas in 3/301 for antelope tho as they have moved S and E. There has been a 8 year drought but it doesn't seem to affect the deer as much as the goats.
I am surprised that you didn't get more info fm your post before. If I can help further, let me know. [email protected] BTW, I live in Aurora.
Ray

As I have said before, I can help you out when your hunt gets closer, I can give you some really up to date activities of what I see, and where you might want to start just before your hunt!! I'M OUT THERE EVERY DAY!!

Anybody else want some help let me know!!

I wish I had the tag!!

I may be buying one these leftovers and never been up in the area, i may just buy a doe tag i havnt shot a deer since 97 so yeah i am itching and i dont care about the horns even though a buck would be awesome. How much time would i have to do a little scouting? Thanks in advance scott

Just get the tag!! I'll point you in the right direction! I would not think a doe would be that tough to get on. What season would you try for?

i was thinking 2 or 3rd depending on what is available still. Pretty sure would be a one or 2 day hunt if its a doe, but i also wanted to try for a elk. Any thoughts on the elk in the area?

i dunno how its showing my thread up below seven but hopefully i can get it here, i was thinking 2 or 3rd depending on what is available still. Pretty sure would be a one or 2 day hunt if its a doe, but i also wanted to try for a elk. Any thoughts on the elk in the area?

i think i am going to go with a unit 4 season 3. It seems like my best option. Now just to figure out what to do with elk.

Got it-----Back at ya!!!

Kicked it back at ya!!!

Liv4, hold onto your azz, Craig is about to get runover!
3400 Fords
1200 Chevys
900 Dodges
650 Jeeps
15 Subarus
4 Honda Civics
31 Horses
9700 4wheelers
and a Partridge in a pair tree,
Are heaeded your way!

Been showing up pretty hard core since about monday!!! LOL!! It's been fun watching the change at the gas stations!!! Good luck to everyone making their trek to this area!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom