TIP: How to take better harvest photos...

B

bbentley392t

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-07 AT 10:08AM (MST)[p]Hey guys & gals, Brad here from "Garth Frandsen Photography" in Price, Utah. This year's hunting season, I'd like to try to lend a little encouragement on better trophy photo's. Buck, Bull, Bear, etc...make it look as good as possible (given your circumstances) Trophy photos are a wondeful thing to have, a great tangible memory...do everything you can to make it a great one!

1. Clean up your deer before you take your photo. This can easily be done with a wet rag or glove, wash away as much of the bloody areas as possible. Pay special attention to the mouth/nose area.

2. Wash your hands before posing in your photo and either do not wear or hide clothing that is blood stained.

3. If possible take your photos in the field or in a natural setting.( Not the back of your truck or garage floor)

4. Position the animal in front of you, place your deer on its abdomen with the front legs folded back under the chest. Pull the rear legs up under the belly of the deer for a natural look. Harvest photos are easiest to take before your deer gets to stiff. Hold the head level to the camera.

5. Try to position the camera at the level of the deer's head or lower. You can use a mini tripod, or have a friend take the photo for you. It'll look even nicer

6. Hold your trophy by the hide on the scruff of the neck, and avoid putting your hands on the antlers. If you have to hold antlers hold as little as possible and wear camo gloves. Human eyes are attracted to hands, don't take away from your deer with your hands.

7. If you field dress your deer prior to your photo being taken avoid open body cavities and move your deer away from the field dressing area.

8. Try not to take the photo with the tongue hanging out of your deer. This can easily be accomplished by placing a small rubber band around the mouth or simply shoving it in better.

9. Use your cameras highest megapixel setting, so it can be enlarged without distortion.

10. Take your camera everywhere you go in your pack or in your vehicle, protect it with a freezer bag or waterproof bag, AND PACK EXTRA BATTERIES.

11. Smile like your great grandchildren will see this someday, they most likely will.

12. Don't forget to add your hunting implement (bow, muzzleloader, etc) in the pic.

13. Try to leave room around yourself & the animal for text...who knows, that photo might end up on the cover of a hunting magazine.

Thanks for your time and good luck, anyone else with more tips feel free to post up.

*Here is a sample...this is my 07' Archery Buck.
IMG_5432.jpg

STICK-FLICKER...Silent, But Deadly
-Buckhorn Archers (Castle Dale, UT)
-Timpanogos Archers (Orem, UT)
-Hell Hole Archers (Big Piney, WY)
[email protected]

Although those are all great pointers for pix and thanks for posting this topic, but the picture on your post still shows a lot of blood on the animal, nor is it centered.

In the outfitting business for our brochures, we plug all holes with either rags, toilet paper or baby wipes and wipe off all the visible blood as possible. We even toss in glass eye's over the animals dead eyes so he doesn't look so "dead"....this really covers up a lot of white, especially how dead elk's eye's roll back.

Just a few more added tips to go along with yours Brad. :)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-07 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]Mr. Dunk...
I am primarily a Motorcycle race photographer, not wildlife (especially, dead wildlife). Yes, that's me in the photo...however if I would've been behind the camera, the image would have looked much more balanced (with both lighting & color). As a photographer, I just tried to offer the best advice that I could...I can't control what the person taking the photo of me is doing. I can't change the ISO & F-Stop on my camera from infront of it, I can't position the body from infront of the camera...etc. I apologize that the image I posted does not meet all of the qualities that I had previously mentioned. From now on, I guess I'll have to start carrying a set of glass eyes with me as well...? Who knows, maybe one day I'll get it right...I guess I should just stick to MX photography huh?

[email protected]

Didn't mean to get you riled up Brad, i loved your photo.
All i meant was it's not what some would like to see in a professional photo (major magazine), dead looking eyes, blood and the weapon used.
In a family photo album it works just fine, but in a magazine it COULD be critisized (for lack of a better word).

I know what you mean about not being able to control what the taker is doing or what he's seeing through the camera, i have had many of photo ruined by that same thing.

Here's what i have learned to do in that situation through trial and error-

Set the pose up yourself and the camera, make sure EVERYTHING is up to YOUR par, then take a few with him and hand him the camera and tell him to not touch a thing and take several pics so he don't catch you in a blink, not exactly centered, ect ect.

About the taxidermy glass eye's....they do wonders for a great picture.

Digital camera's are the shiz these days, as you mentioned in your post, they allow you to see what you have taken and able you to make adjustments. They are a must in everyone's back pack!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Mr. Dunk,
Trust me...if I had just arrowed a buck that I knew was going to be in a magazine, I would've done a few practice rounds with my hunting partner in my place before hand. The person who actually took the photo was my father...he's getting up there in age and can barely operate a cell phone sucessfully...let alone my professional 'Canon E0S 30D' or 'Nikon D2'!

Question...what is wrong with showing the weapon? Like I said, I'm a race photographer, so I don't know what the proper 'hunting photo' etiquette is. In all reality, there's not much blood in my photo...just at the entry hole, which is pretty tough to plug up. Is there anything else I FUBAR'd on?

[email protected]

First off, that's great your dad was with you, wish i had one like that. Mine's not into hunting at all.

About the weapon showing, some say it's "distasteful", it really emphasizes "death"....even though the animal really is.
I'm not saying i agree with that statement, it's just what we were taught by the people who do our brochures and see our stuff as being "proffessional" to not show them, or any blood if at all possible.
I always take pix of my client's animal's with weapons in, and weapons out so we get the best of both worlds. The ones with, go to him, the ones without, we keep for brochures and photo albums.

As far as the blood goes, keep a small box of baby wipes in your pack. plug the entry or exit holes and then wipe off as much blood that will sop up. you can even sprinkle a tiny bit of dirt on there and brush it off so it looks dry.

I can relate somewhat to you being a race photographer, timing is VERY crutial.
My other hobby is bodybuilding and there are many camera's going off at once. I cringe at about 95% of the shots i see of myself because the timing was off when i hit a muscle group as to when he clicked the button.
I'm sure catching a rider mid air with a arms or legs out is a tough task, no doubt.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Mr. Dunk,
What is your personal e-mail address...I will send you some samples of my race photography, I'm extremely curious as to what your opinion will be? Just e-mail me at: [email protected] Later...Brad.

[email protected]

I'm most definately not implying that i'm an expert at photography by any means, but being in the guiding business for 13 years i have definately learned a few tricks from so called "professional kill photo experts".

I'm sure you are very very good at the motocross photographing, that takes extreme skill, timing and knowledge of what to be looking for at the exact moment, MUCH harder than taking pix of dead stuff.

I'll email ya.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom