Swarovski EL 10x50 or 12x50

billygoat

Considering trading my old SLC 10x42 for an EL 10x50 or 12x50. Although over 1 inch longer than my current 10x42 SLC , they are over 1 inch shorter and 5 oz lighter than an SLC 10x50. I cannot find a local retailer that carries the 50s.
Two questions:
1. Is the extra light gathering of the 50 practical vs. a 42 when in the field for hunting, given the extra weight and size.
2. Is 12 power practical vs. 10 power when in the field for hunting?
Thanks

10X...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Not sure the 50mm EL's are even available yet, so it's hard for anyone to give a factual opinion, but they should be fantastic glass. Some people have reported what they call a "rolling ball" effect with the Swarovisions, some even claiming they felt "sea sick" looking through them, but others don't notice it, so I'd suggest you try to get your hands on a pair before buying.

As far as 12x goes, I'd say they'd be best used tripod mounted.

Good luck with your decision. If you get the 50mm EL's, please report back what you think of them.

Hanging around your neck then looking thru the timber to see if that thing is an Elk, the 10x is better.
Open country hunting coupled with some glassing time, the 12's are the way to go.
I sold my 10's and went to 12's. You can hold the 12's for occasional looking but I added a bino tripod adapter for use when glassing.

Interesting... Don't want to carry a tripod... so maybe the 10s. Was that the EL 50s or SLC? Were you ok with the size?

I used to use 10x42's untill I got a deal on some 8x32 el's. I dont notice much difference in power but the difference in weight is HUGE. I cant imagine having to carry let alone hold a 12x50 steady enough to be usefull.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

IN MY OPINION....that means, just me, the Swaro 10x42 EL is as good as it gets for binos.

Size, weight and stability considered, everything else has a drawback.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I still like the 8.5 els are the best over all for ease,comfort,light gathering and eye strain(which is the most important) everyone has a spotter for the distant anyway. The less movement and power the less the overall eyestrain in the end!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom