Stuck Brass

3x2

Hi All, I have a REM 700 300 Win Mag (Circa 2003-04) that I have been testing factory ammo in. I have had multiple manufacturers ammo have extremely tight or failed extraction similar to what you might feel in a hot load. It doesn’t seem to have any chambering or extraction issues on unfired rounds. Any thoughts or ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks

When you say failed extraction- do you mean the bolt comes back leaving the case in the chamber?
At first it wouldn’t come back at all but after some lite tapping the bolt came back and the brass was still stuck. I was able to back the brass out pretty easily with a cleaning rod once I got home.

Might be headspace issue. Swelling after you shoot. Could also be a weak or defective extracter. Many factors could be at play
I was thinking about this a little more and up until now I had only run Remington ammo through it that was manufactured around the same time. One of the two rounds that cycled fine was new Vortex (owned by Rem). Is it likely that factory ammo is that far to one side of spec? Brands that I had trouble with were Winchester, Federal, and old (pre Rem) Vortex. Hornaday seems to work well but didn’t shoot well.

I would do two things. First clean chamber and check for tool marks in the chamber that may cause extraction problems. If chamber appears to be ok. Take to gunsmith and have him use his headspace gauges to check for proper headspace.
RELH

The gun is over 20 years old......is this a new problem or has it only recently been fired as new?.....won't fix the problem...just curious

Cut a piece of scotch tape around the base of the round. Tape it to the base and see if you can chamber it. If you can then the headspace is wrong. If you can't then it's correct. It should feel very tight to close the bolt.

You seeing any ejector marks on the base after a fired round?

Do the previously stuck cases have any unusual marks on them? Either on the neck, shoulder, body or the rim?

Gotta assume if the bolt came free with the case still stuck that there is a heck of a bright spot on the rim...

The gun is over 20 years old......is this a new problem or has it only recently been fired as new?.....won't fix the problem...just curious
It’s a recent problem. Rifle has a pretty low round count maybe 100-150. It hasn’t been shot in close to 10 years (cleaned periodically). This is the first time I’ve tried solid copper bullets, which I was told might be creating higher pressures due to increased copper fowling? Probably 20 total copper rounds thoroughly cleaned half way through.

Do the previously stuck cases have any unusual marks on them? Either on the neck, shoulder, body or the rim?

Gotta assume if the bolt came free with the case still stuck that there is a heck of a bright spot on the rim...
Yes the ones that were stuck have markings just above the belt and some darkening around the neck. There was some scoring around the rim and copper on the bolt face.

Seemed to happen on the cheaper/older brass not as much on the nickel ones.

Considering you always used one type of ammo until you ran into this problem- I'm thinking it's a headspace issue. I have one rifle that cannot accept brand new Nosler brass (I reload)- and I have to size them all down 2 thousands just to get them to chamber. Lapua brass- no issues- it just happens to have slightly shorter shoulders.

I think RELH has the best advice...

What is the twist rate on your rifle? Copper bullets tend to be a lot longer than lead. You shooting 180grns copper? Might want to go down to 150grs or so.

What is the twist rate on your rifle? Copper bullets tend to be a lot longer than lead. You shooting 180grns copper? Might want to go down to 150grs or so.
It's a 1:10 and yes shooting 180gr. That's certainly something I'll consider. I don't need copper for this hunt so I might just get away from it for this year.

By chance were the rounds that won't eject Barnes Vor-TX?
Yes, but the older version (2016) as well as Winchester Copper Impact both got stuck. I have a new box of the Vor-TX that I shot that ejected a little tight but not what I would consider problematic.

I have an older m700 that will eject every thing BUT Barnes VOR-TX......they measure great but will not leave the chamber after firing...

I have an older m700 that will eject every thing BUT Barnes VOR-TX......they measure great but will not leave the chamber after firing...
That’s Bizarre but certainly falls in line. I talked to a custom rifle builder who thought it might be because I shot multiple different coppers without cleaning in between. He said the different alloys could cause additional friction and thus more pressure. I thought it was an interesting perspective that I hadn’t considered before.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom