Strategies

GLEDEASY

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-13 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]First off, good luck to those who are getting their hunts underway in the next few days.

I have an early rifle tag for Fish Lake. I end a rotation this week which has been full of many projects and assignments, so I feel like I can now take a deep breath and finally focus on this hunt. I'm fortunate enough to have the next 6 weeks off, which I intend to use to the fullest.

So lets talk strategy on how you guys would go about the next month preparing for the hunt. I have some ideas and intentions with what I plan to do, but I know there is a great amount of knowledge/experience that others have gained.

I know the unit alright and some of what it has to offer. I know with the archery hunts starting and the rut nearing that bulls are going to start moving some. It's a big unit and there is a lot ground that I plan to cover before the hunt starts.

Lets say I find a bull or two that really interests me. How often would you try and keep tabs? Daily, every couple of days, etc.

Just looking for some input to hopefully broaden my perspective and get the blood pumping leading up to the hunt. And if there are any other hunters that will be up there maybe we can exchange some information to help make our hunts a success.

Thanks

Not strategy, just courtesy... there are/will be archery hunters trying to hunt the same unit as you, so don't go tromping around on top of them. Be sensitive to their efforts.
I know nobody owns an area, etc., but having had experience with Utah archery elk hunt, it is frustrating to work hard on a bull, only to have some rifle guy ride his horse up through the middle while scouting.
Just sayin.

>Not strategy, just courtesy... there are/will
>be archery hunters trying to
>hunt the same unit as
>you, so don't go tromping
>around on top of them.
>Be sensitive to their efforts.
>
>I know nobody owns an area,
>etc., but having had experience
>with Utah archery elk hunt,
>it is frustrating to work
>hard on a bull, only
>to have some rifle guy
>ride his horse up through
>the middle while scouting.
>Just sayin.

Totally agree with what you are saying here. That's been one of my concerns with not wanting to get in someone's way that currently is hunting.

I'm hoping/thinking that during the week it won't be as busy in some regards.

So, if I have a rifle tag I should stay home until the night before my hunt starts? Just sayin, I'm a guy who rides a horse.

"So, if I have a rifle tag I should stay home until the night before my hunt starts? Just sayin, I'm a guy who rides a horse."

Yep....... Terry

Oh A$$stickman, that's funny. You sound like the tree hugger-hiker I ran into on a trail in Zions National Park on horse back. He let me know how I ruined his "experience". Hey everybody! Shut down all activity in the forest. We don't want A$$stickman's "experience" ruined!

RowdyBlueman....... I was just agreeing with the part about your a guy who rides a horse...... Trouble seems to be we can't tell from looking at your face if the horse is coming or going......Looks like a horses a$$ either way....... Terry

I'll take that as a compliment. I've been told countless times that ol' Blueman has a great lookin butt, hip and head! Best of all his a$$ packs me in, out and through elk country much of the year including August and September. By the way elk are a lot less threatened by things in the forest with four legs than with two.

Gledeasy,
I compliment your sense of courtesy for those already afield. I also didn't mean to "wrangle" you question when my response included a horse inference. (bad personal experience).
My past tells me the bulls get pretty secluded for the next few weeks until they find "willing ladies". With that in mind I would try to carefully keep track of the women folk.
Unfortunately it's hard for us all to share our passion without sometimes stepping on each other's toes. That being the case, try not to crush someone else's dream. We all wait a long time for these rare experiences. Hopefully yours will be the best.

One other suggestion: Don't be afraid to ask archers you run into how they are doing. If you tell them you are trying to stay out of their way, they might be equally as willing to share information for you after they are done. I know I would.
Good luck!

It's good that you respect that there are other hunters in the field. Honestly nothing makes me more mad then a hunter with a hunt in November to be in the woods with me in September. I've also had a bad experience, one with some texans sighting in there rifle the first weekend of my hunt last year and one with some other rifle guys cruising there four wheeler as far as they could into the woods before attempting to hike. Strategy wise I'm a believer in game cameras one because you don't have to go in and out leaving scent and causing commotion in the area you found a bull your willing to chase come your hunt. I like to set cameras on water holes in areas I've seen a good bull and on well traveled game trails in the area and check them every week or so. I know some ppl are against them but I think there isn't a better way to cover a lot of country and see if that bull is still in the area

I think I would be fine tuning my plan B, C and D areas. I'm sure you've already got your go-to plan A area figured out. If opening days don't pan out the way you'd hope, knowing you have a "solid" plan B or C areas could save the hunt.

When I say having a plan B area, I mean really knowing it before the hunt, not just "I've heard this canyon is good, let's go check it out". I've found having that intimate knowledge is way more important than keeping track of the animals right now. If there's elk in the area, that's good enough. For now I would be trying to do the following:

-Pin down the really good glassing spots. You know those areas... Like the rare small spots on a heavily timber ridge that are the only spots you can really check out the whole canyon from. Or that one rock outcrop that is the only place where you can see the creek bottom, etc

-Routes into and out of the area so you're not wandering in the dark on a valuable hunting morning. Same goes for roads/ATV trails. A hunting morning is not the morning to be asking yourself "is it this left or the next left?"

-Try to identify general animal movements in the areas, i.e. if they blow out of the canyon where are they likely to go? Are they watering in this canyon or the next, is there water even in this canyon.

-I've always been of the opinion deeper and farther from roads is better, especially in high pressure Utah. Find those dark hidey holes now and try to anticipate what the pressure will do.

In general I'd be putting more attention on the land than the animals. While the ?find the big one, camp on him, and kill him opening morning? plan has worked for some, for many it doesn't and they're left scrambling for plan B. Many more and some of my biggest animals have come from plan B, C and D than opening morning Plan A.

Some very good suggestions and I appreciate the input.

I hiked 14 miles yesterday checking some area, mostly just getting my body up to par. There were certainly some spots I would have like to have left a trail cam.

Just a few weeks away. Can't wait to hear them start screaming and hopefully share some pics.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom