Steens muleys

gobeavstate

Going back up to the Steens for the first time in a LONG time. Super pumped, know it’s not was it used to be but word is it’s back on the upswing. Any thoughts or experiences? Gonna be fun regardless!

Going back up to the Steens for the first time in a LONG time. Super pumped, know it’s not was it used to be but word is it’s back on the upswing. Any thoughts or experiences? Gonna be fun regardless!
My 12 year old son got a Steens Mountain mule deer tag this year. We've never been there. I've been doing some e-scouting, and it looks like big country—in many ways, it's intimidating and hard to know where to even start. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Had a friend help on a sheep tag there last fall.
They saw very few deer. He is really good at glassing.

Not really the news you were looking for, im sure

But maybe they were looking in wrong place

Which is really unfortunate. It sounds like Oregon does not do a good job managing it. I am a new hunter and do not know all the history of mule deer in Oregon. I am hoping we will continue to have good hunting opportunities.

There is not a tag in the state of Oregon worth the points it takes to draw. The Steens is epic and holds historical mystic. The good old days are gone, enjoy the country and enjoy the hunt. Can't help you on any tips or tricks, get away from the roads, spend a lot of time behind the glass. and you can always turn up a monster. The Genetics are there even if the numbers are not.

Thanks. I thought Steens was one of the best units in Oregon, but I am hearing a lot of different opinions.
It used to be. Then a 4 pt. or better rule for many years really messed things up. Followed on by years of drought and out of control Cougar predation. Started to come back a bit a few years back, but more drought. Last couple years have had good moisture, so hopefully it will come back some again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom