Sleep

Congrats. Almost 9 years for us. The wife got to where she physically couldn't work her job any longer, so she retired on her 62nd birthday. Not knowing how much or how long she could enjoy it, I just decided to pull the plug also. Had 4 months leave to use up, so I quit going to work until my 66th BDay, then signed the papers on a Monday morning.

So what are you going to do with all your free time? Any new hobbies? More time on MM ;)

When you retire, how do you guys know for sure you have enough money to last until the end? This is something I'm always wondering about.
And do most of you retire about the same time as your wives?

Brian I will answer your question. I retired in 2003. The wife waited till 2006 to retire. My son called his mom when I retired and asked her if she was going to retire also.
Wife replied that she loved her job and there was a alternative reason for not retiring now.
My son asked his mother what that reason was.
My wife replied. "24-7 with your father.
My son stated, " you do not need to say anymore mom.
Eel would understand. He has met me and my wife and I am sure he considers her the angel in family.

RELH

So what are you going to do with all your free time? Any new hobbies? More time on MM ;)

When you retire, how do you guys know for sure you have enough money to last until the end? This is something I'm always wondering about.
I don't think anyone can be sure of enough money unless they are loaded. But I feel like it is time .
I will spend time on ballistics at the range. Shoot some weapons I never use. Home remodeling and repairs ( nothing major just odds and ends).
Travel to see family, maybe start up Pest Services again ( small client base ).
Travel to a few Sportsman's and Car shows.
Exercise every day and buy points and apply fir tags...
And fish all I can in between the rest!
I wkrm shift work that slides ahead each week so that is why I'm leaving on a Monday.

Don’t know about the rest of you retired guys, but I seem to be busier now than when I worked. Things in life had been piling up for 10 plus years before I retired. Now I am playing catch up. Even when I was 40 I said “if I could retire now, had enough money, and lived to 150 years old I would never finish all the projects and plans I had”.
As you get older you sleep more, body parts ache more (and heal a hell of a lot slower).
Can’t wait to have grandchildren to take hunting and fishing.

Don’t know about the rest of you retired guys, but I seem to be busier now than when I worked. Things in life had been piling up for 10 plus years before I retired. Now I am playing catch up. Even when I was 40 I said “if I could retire now, had enough money, and lived to 150 years old I would never finish all the projects and plans I had”.
As you get older you sleep more, body parts ache more (and heal a hell of a lot slower).
Can’t wait to have grandchildren to take hunting and fishing.
I don't know, man, you're doing something wrong. 😄

I heard through the grapevine that after I was retired for about 6 months my wife called the sawmill and offered to pay my wages out of her own pocket if they would take me back. Kind of hurt my feelings.

I don't think anyone can be sure of enough money unless they are loaded. But I feel like it is time .
I will spend time on ballistics at the range. Shoot some weapons I never use. Home remodeling and repairs ( nothing major just odds and ends).
Travel to see family, maybe start up Pest Services again ( small client base ).
Travel to a few Sportsman's and Car shows.
Exercise every day and buy points and apply fir tags...
And fish all I can in between the rest!
I wkrm shift work that slides ahead each week so that is why I'm leaving on a Monday.
Congratulations DM! Sounds like you'll be living the dream. I'm envious.

Hey DM!

That's A Five Letter word!

When you Get the recipe For It Send It To Me & Thanks!
It's one important necessity. Remember when we were young and jf was easy to get 8 + hours if we wanted to, and didn't have enough to take a whiz in the night ? Damn I wish I could sleep straight 8 !

My advice if you are asking these questions is to get a good financial advisor.

As for wife's retiring mine still loves what she does so she still goes to work but collects SS at the same time. When ever she hits the bell is fine with me.

Congrats.

If it wasn't for all the retired guys who were "never going to work again" there wouldn't be crossing guards. My father in law being one, and the kids are richer for having you old men looking out for them.

I think Tuesday is a good retirement day

My wife has never had a full time job and that's been fine with me. She's the world's best home maker. Everything outside the house is mine and everything inside the house has been hers. She protects our money like a Pitbull. After I retired, I got interested in cooking (thanks YouTube) which made her extremely nervous. :) One morning I got up early and rearranged the spice cabinet in alphabetical order. A huge mistake. You'd think I went out and got a girlfriend or something.

My wife has never had a full time job and that's been fine with me. She's the world's best home maker. Everything outside the house is mine and everything inside the house has been hers. She protects our money like a Pitbull. After I retired, I got interested in cooking (thanks YouTube) which made her extremely nervous. :) One morning I got up early and rearranged the spice cabinet in alphabetical order. A huge mistake. You'd think I went out and got a girlfriend or something.
No problem for us. She bought a rack that holds about 60 spices. It sure is nice to have the.m on order.

What Is All This ZZZ'ing I'm Hearing?

GOOD GAWD I Wish I Could Z Like That!
I woke up at 4 am. I don't know if it will ever go away after doing this for almost 20 years. I spent over an hour in bed to get back to sleep and woke up at 7. Sleep is when the body heals so poor sleep quality is no bueno.

Congratulations on your retirement. I’m still 13+ years away myself, but I have several buddies that have already retired. The only advice I can share from observation is to keep yourself busy. The guys that truly enjoy their retirement & stay active are thriving. The ones that sat in a chair on day 3 to watch tv all day, have declined quickly.

Been retired for going on 13 years. Best decision I ever made. My retirement pays for everything I need to live on and go on a couple out of state hunts every year, and other vacations, too. I have only rarely dipped into the retirement fund. Retirement ROCKS!!

IMG_9565 copy.jpg

099 copy.jpg

IMG_6554 copy.jpg

IMG_0858 copy.jpg

IMG_6274 copy.jpg

014 copy.jpg

Anybody retired or thinking of retiring I strongly recommend this book. My doctor recommended it to me when I retired. He was 90 years old, still working and in good shape.

"Younger Next Year" is the title. I bought mine on Amazon. I also need to read it again. :)

Been retired for going on 13 years. Best decision I ever made. My retirement pays for everything I need to live on and go on a couple out of state hunts every year, and other vacations, too. I have only rarely dipped into the retirement fund. Retirement ROCKS!!

View attachment 161659

View attachment 161661

View attachment 161662

View attachment 161663

View attachment 161664

View attachment 161665
You are doing it right Nontypical. Awesome job on the hunts too ! I'm all jealous and better get ready for next year's hunts.

Anybody retired or thinking of retiring I strongly recommend this book. My doctor recommended it to me when I retired. He was 90 years old, still working and in good shape.

"Younger Next Year" is the title. I bought mine on Amazon. I also need to read it again. :)
Exercise and diet advice ? I will give it a try. Reading is always something I've enjoyed !

Congratulations on your retirement. I’m still 13+ years away myself, but I have several buddies that have already retired. The only advice I can share from observation is to keep yourself busy. The guys that truly enjoy their retirement & stay active are thriving. The ones that sat in a chair on day 3 to watch tv all day, have declined quickly.
I rototilled my garden today after putting a huge pile of chicken poop and compost on it today.

I woke up at 4 am. I don't know if it will ever go away after doing this for almost 20 years. I spent over an hour in bed to get back to sleep and woke up at 7. Sleep is when the body heals so poor sleep quality is no bueno.
Congrats on your retirement!! Good news is I think you'll find in time that you'll wonder how you ever had enough time to work. That's how it is with me anyway.

Bad news is I've been retired for nearly 10 years and my body still thinks it's working 12 hour rotating shifts! Did that for over thirty years and unless I'm dead tired I still wake up somewhere between 3 and 5 in the morning. I quit trying to fight it so I get up for an hour or so, usually eat a small bowl of some kind of hot cereal , go back to bed and get up again sometime between 8 and 10.

Kind of the pits when you want to get up for an early morning hunt but it still beats working!!

Congrats DM. Welcome to the club. I have been retired 5 years. As busy as I ever was, just with things I want to do now. A little part time work just for extra hunting and fishing money, but if I want to take two weeks and go fish on the coast I do it. If I want to spend a full two weeks at the ranch deer hunting I just do it. Wife just won’t give up and retire. She just doesn’t realize how much she would enjoy it!

Congrats DM. Welcome to the club. I have been retired 5 years. As busy as I ever was, just with things I want to do now. A little part time work just for extra hunting and fishing money, but if I want to take two weeks and go fish on the coast I do it. If I want to spend a full two weeks at the ranch deer hunting I just do it. Wife just won’t give up and retire. She just doesn’t realize how much she would enjoy it!
Well I've only been retired a day and already I'm going to have part time job offers in a day or two.
I'm going to save money for my trips. And I won't be working nights any more. But the pay will be meager compared to my career I just left.

Well I've only been retired a day and already I'm going to have part time job offers in a day or two.
I'm going to save money for my trips. And I won't be working nights any more. But the pay will be meager compared to my career I just left.
What kind of work did you do, DM?

I haven't even thought of going back to work even part time. It's been 12 years, and we haven't touched our retirement 401k money yet. I converted it all to a Roth IRA so all the taxes have been paid. It's all free and clear when we need it. Hopefully it continues to grow. My biggest fear is if and when we need assistance living which will happen if we live long enough.

My wife couldn’t stand me being underfoot all day. She is a barber with her shop beside her house. She begged all her customers to give me a part time job to get me away from the house. I did lots of tractor work. I ended up with a job hauling 40’ shipping containers from the east side of Dallas back to just east of Abilene. Only work 1 or two days a week and that is only when boss needs me and I am not off fishing or hunting somewhere. Extra cash comes in handy when I want a new rod, reel or rifle!

What kind of work did you do, DM?

I haven't even thought of going back to work even part time. It's been 12 years, and we haven't touched our retirement 401k money yet. I converted it all to a Roth IRA so all the taxes have been paid. It's all free and clear when we need it. Hopefully it continues to grow. My biggest fear is if and when we need assistance living which will happen if we live long enough.
I worked at a Japanese starch plant and a Liquid Air CO2 plant in the 80s, and the Tooele Chemical Weapons Plant for 5 years but since 2005 I have worked at Idaho National Lab working with support equipment ( a nuclear waste storage and disposal facility ). Think Homer Simpson that is Me. 🤣
I have Roth, 401K a little inheritance and Social Security. I know a few people with more who worked some too after retirement to stay out of their retirement. You are lucky to have stayed out of yours Eel. Go look up what Kameltoe wants tobdo- tax us for unrealized wealth - if your home was 200k but now is worth 500k you can be taxed for the equity increase. That and assisted living like my parents would take alot. That is part of the reason the hired armed JRS agents and investigators. We are heading into a bad area. If I said more the moderators here would send this to political forum .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom