Silvies/Ochoco/Heppner Tag Return Possible

Togwotee

Long Time Member
ODFW just sent out an email to tag holders discussing the possibility of returning tags for a refund and point reinstalment due to the mega fires.

No definite plans yet but they're looking at options. and their budget more importantly. at least they're acknowledging there's a problem though so that's good.

Basically, from Crazy creek over to Sugar Creek and down into the Paulina valley. about 80,000 acres but quite a bit is private land.

They just opened the area back up I'm going to go see how hard it burnt as soon as I get a chance.

If I had an Ochoco elk tag I'd go hunt. if I had a deer tag I'd try to get my points back because the unit sucks so bad even before the fire.

-I just checked, and from what I found, the Ochoco National Forest is still closed from the eastern edge of big summit prairie, to the forest service boundary on the east side. The areas around Walton Lake, Lookout Mountain, etc to the west boundary remains open, but the eastern half of the forest is closed.

I also got an email today stating that archery elk and deer tag holders in the Ochoco, heppner and silvies game units could contact odfw to surrender their tags, and get their preference points back. If they want their points back, they must contact the department prior to the season opening a week from tomorrow.

Finally, I have been discussing with Ochoco National Forest personnel the proposed fire break plan for the Jackson watershed north of little summit prairie. Originally the comment period for the project ended on Aug 28, but the agreed yesterday to extend that til Sept 30 to allow the public time to access the area and submit comments. I took from that that they don't expect the closure to be lifted any time soon.

Scoutdog

A friend has a cabin over by Rager and they told him they were opening it back up this weekend. so someone is getting bad information I'm not sure who.

It's stupid to keep the entire east side closed but they do a lot of stupid things. the fire is essentially out and they've demob'd most of the crews. when Wolf burnt they kept the actual burn area closed the rest of the year over falling snag concerns. I guess I can see that but not outside the burn area.

If this is true and everyone is forced to hunt west of Cold Springs it's going to be a total clustershag.

Back
Top Bottom