Significant restrictions are being proposed in 2024 Novembers RAC's

It’s really just managing people. Lol
And that's where I think some of the discussion in this thread gets muddled. Most of the proposals are people management with little goal of modifying the herd numbers or structure. But APR is both a people management strategy and one that modifies herd numbers and structure. And again and again, the result is not what APR advocates claim the goal that is supposed to be attained.
No long term improvement in buck ratios, either no long term improvement in "mature" buck ratios or decreases with greater than or equal to 4pts in ID being the exception for mature 3pts (full disclosure I haven't dug into ID and what's behind the table here, but not tracking compliance raises more than a few questions). But get this: decrease in total harvest but no total population increase from APRs...
Those certainly seem like negative biological outcomes.
1000006521.jpg

Last edited:
And that's where I think some of the discussion in this thread gets muddled. Most of the proposals are people management with little goal of modifying the herd numbers or structure. But APR is both a people management strategy and one that modifies herd numbers and structure. And again and again, the result is not what APR advocates claim the goal that is supposed to be attained.
No long term improvement in buck ratios, either no long term improvement in "mature" buck ratios or decreases with greater than it equal to 4pts in ID being the exception (full disclosure I haven't dug into ID and what's behind the table here, but not tracking compliance raises more than a few questions). But get this: decrease in total harvest but no total population increase from APRs...
Those certainly seem like negative biological outcomes.
View attachment 162144
I like this, thank you for sharing, it's very interesting.

I have read a lot of comments. I agree DWR needs to try a few other hunting options. More people and fewer deer.
II have hunted the Cache unit all my life. Helped a lot with conservation projects and had meetings over the years with DWR.
Fact: You can't stockpile bucks in an area that has a lot of winter kill every few years. What good is it to save more bucks, have them compete with pregnant does on limited winter range, then winter kill every few years.

Predator management will need to be managed and encouraged, we don't want higher predator numbers killing the bucks saved from a decrease in hunter success.

Saving more bucks in areas where winter kill isn't much of a problem, providing more hunting opportunity, with less successful guns and bows is a reasonable thing to try.

I have a life time license and didn't even bother to go hunting on the Cache, because poor deer numbers the past two years.

I used to hunt a unit in Idaho that had < 2 or 3 point antler restrictions (I can remember if it was 2 or 3). It was cool to see mature bucks on the landscape. My biggest complaint with a < 3 APR is that it is hard to prove something (a 4th point) is not there. Just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean that it is not there. With a 4 point requirement, you can be sure it is legal if you can count at least 4 points. I think it would be easier to mistake a four point for a three point, especially if things are happening fast.

So, actually cutting opportunities from people rather than adding opportunity? That sounds like something I’ve been trying to suggest is the real outcome of this!

I actually think they know what they are doing, but just won’t be forthright in what that is. They certainly aren’t listening to the biologists.

How are they cut?

Telling folks which weapon they can use, IS NOT limiting oppurtunity.

I can't rifle hunt the archery hunt.

For the 7th time.

We are gonna need who "they" are

But Is Somebody Gonna Be PISSED When I Can't Remember Which Year We're On?:D

Or If I Make A Mistake Can I Just WASTE The Animal?

Next time you talk to the top guy, pitch the 3-point or less every other year idea. I see no downside, and as he said, you never know if you don't try.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom