Sight in Distance Western Style

tracker12

Very Active Member
Heading out to UT this fall with my .50 cal Muzzy. What distance do you like to sight your gun in for a dead on hold. Wondering if 125 or even 150 might be better than standard 100yd.

Here’s a pretty standard chart for a 300 gr bullet going at 1900 fps.

IMG_6659.png

Im still working on a load. I have always used s sabot bullet and now trying to find a full bore bullet my Knight UL likes. Have some Thor’s coming in the mail. Tried the Fury with pretty good results. Just trying to find an accurate load that doesn’t require me having shoulder surgery getting it dialed in. 😂

There are so many factors that come into play on this. How far is your realistic limit on taking that shot without magnification? (“Realistic” being the key word here.)

My eyes are bad enough at distance that 200 yards would be tough without magnification. Not sure I’d be able to see my target well enough. So for me, I’d be zeroing my muzzy at 100 yards and probably not going beyond 150 yards for a shot, and certainly not beyond 200 yards. I just can’t see that far anymore. My goal with a muzzy under new and current Utah regs would be to get under 100 yards for any shot. But that’s me, others may be able to do it differently. However, most probably can’t, realistically.

I zero my gun at 150. Im shooting a Remington ultimate, that’s pushing a 250
Gr bullet faster than your average muzzy does. I can hold dead center on a deer out to 175 without having to think about any bullet drop. From 180 to 225 I hold top of his back and should be good. I won’t shoot past 250 now unless I’ve got one wounded or there’s special circumstances.

Last edited:
Before They YANKED The Decent Scopes!

I Decided I Was Maybe Gonna Zero At 300 Yards!

I Was Shooting So High At 100 Yards I Decided I Ain't Doing That STUPID SShhitt!

No!

I Wasn't Running a NIGHTFORCE That Woulda Fixed That Issue!

I’m hoping to be able to reach 200 but thats yet to be seen. When I hunted elk in UT in 2012 with the 1X I was shooting comfortably out to there even though my intentions were not to shoot that far. On my 4th day I had a nice bull right at 190 and decided to pass. Just when I thought he was gone he came to a cow call and I shot him at 25 yards. I am all for getting close and it will be my goal but if I see that bruiser at long distance I want to give myself a chance.

If you’re hoping to shoot out to 200, I would zero at 150.

If you’re capable of those shots, that’s probably your best bet.

Before They YANKED The Decent Scopes!

I Decided I Was Maybe Gonna Zero At 300 Yards!

I Was Shooting So High At 100 Yards I Decided I Ain't Doing That STUPID SShhitt!

No!

I Wasn't Running a NIGHTFORCE That Woulda Fixed That Issue!
Nightforsce makes them shoot flatter?

You doing open sight or 1X scope?

Open sight: I would make 150 my max range. Dead on at 100

1x scope: max range 200, sight in at 150

IMG_8466.jpeg
Like on any caliber, your ballistics are going to be relative to the capabilities of the charge and bullet with respect to speed and weight. I shoot a 240 grain XTP backed by a weighed charge of powder as I don’t mess around with “by volume” measurements. I want accuracy and accuracy come from the ability to stay consistent using ever metrics available. So…. With that being said, I zero my muzzle loader @100 yards. I can shoot 1” groups at 100 yards and 4” groups at 300 yards. Ballistically speaking, 300 yards is simply for practice and fun as the performance on deer and especially elk would be dismal, at best; it is a muzzleloader after all.

When zeroed at 100 yards, I have 11” of drop at 200 yards. @200 yards I have 1045 ft lbs of energy. This is why I have chosen 200 yards as a max shot distance. When sited in at 100 yards, my point of aim anywhere from point blank to 100 yards is a dead hold. The majority of kills have been within 50 yards with the occasional 100-150 yard kill. I’ll attach my ballistics to this post for reference.
IMG_8465.jpeg
IMG_8465.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom