shooting games

ce61

i have been shooting at what we call a 600 yard shoot. we set up a 4x8 plywood, cover it with white tyvac, put a 6" orange center and shoot off a bench at it at 600 yards. each person can shoot multiple guns, but only 1 shot per gun per person. at that distance you can't see the holes. we have a number and they mark your number on the target next to the bullet hole. closest to dead center wins, second closest second etc. shows how good or bad you read the wind.any other ideas for a fun type of shoot to try? thanks ce61

I like egg shoots, but like to bang steel anyday. When it comes to games, I like reactive targets.

I used to shoot a game called running deer. A deer cut out of plywood and rigged up on tracks pulled by a motor would cross out in front of you at about 125 yds. You had time if you were smooth to get three shots in, putting the vertical crosshair about even with the deers nose and the other just below center mass, shooting quick before the deer went out of sight. About a minute later, you shot 3 more shots while the deer was going back the other way. A typical shoot, you might get 4 loops or 24 shots for score.

All shots had to be offhand. The scoring went from 7 for just hitting the deer in the front part of the body then 8,9,10, up to 10x, a fig sized circle in the sweet spot just behind the shoulder. Those that shot bolt actions, like me, were at a small disadvantage but nothing was better for practice at the real McCoy than getting that sight picture, shooting, working the bolt slick like, and getting the sight picture again...

We had club teams and shot against other gun clubs for score with trophies and such at the end of the season which usually was around the week before the local deer opener. Most of us that shot regular could average near 9's. i seemed to always get better as the season progressed. Occationally you would hear hoops and hollers when through the speaker from the scorer up at the end of the track, somebody was getting all 10's and 10X's, no easy feat. Great practice and lots of fun.

joey

There is one thing that is a little better....if you can find them, shoot jack rabbits. Spent a lot of years shooting a LOT of those critters. It sure does make mule deer easy. (Not exactly a game, but fun.)

Dad tried to tell me I should put a target inside an old tire and bounce it down the hill. If I could hit it, I could hit anything. Probably very good practice, but too much work, with all the rabbits that used to be around.

..shooting anything that blows up or explodes..

eggs
soda (definitely not beer...that would be a waste)
rotten citrus from neighborhood trees
clay pidgeons

When i was just a kid, i thought everybody had a ranch to go to. Ours was run by my grandma but grandpa was the one that made sure all the work got done, early too. Some of the best times were when all the Aunts and Uncles would show up for a branding or birthday party, any reason for a get together brought a bunch of people.

We had a old shooting bench right outside the gate to the yard and after eating if we weren't playing pedro, we was shooting something at several different set targets with anything from a 22lr to our deer guns. At 14yrs when i got my 25-06, two of my uncles stayed after me for years, lost a bunch of dollars to me by betting that i couldn't hit a quarter at a 100yds. There was a post up by the barn exactly 100 yds from that table, they furnished the quarter, i took their dollar. Great game!

joey

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-08 AT 01:28AM (MST)[p]Deadred said;
" I hope you still have that 25-06???"

One of those Uncles, that i won the money from, offered to buy it from me when i bought a beautiful wood stocked Mark V Weatherby in .257 WM. The weatherby #'s were just too good and compared to that 700 ADL, was wayyy better looking in my mind. Figured i didn't need the 25-06 anymore, i was a still a bit "young" at 22, so, i sold it to him. He will not sell it back, believe me i've tried, and it still seems to kill everything it gets pointed at.

My other Grandpa soon thereafter left me his 25-06 in his will. Basically same gun but it never did shoot quite the way my first hard earned gun did. Edit; Though there were many other guns along the way, that 2nd 25-06 was my # one go to gun and served me very well for near 30 years until i had it rebarreled a few years ago to .280AI, Grampa would have approved, end of edit. In the spring, the blackbirds would be thick, landing on the green barley tops across the ol county road. I loved to make clouds of black feathers shooting them 100 grainers at them while they slowly swayed to and fro in the breezes.

I shot all year, as much as i could afford, at small stuff. Shooting a buck on our place was pretty easy, i thought at the time, if you liked to hunt on foot like i did alot of at the time. It was finding the "Big One" that i "needed", and then getting a decent shot at him that was the hard part.

Joey

those 600 yard shoots that we do started with about 8 guys putting up a target and seeing who hit the closest with 1 shot. more people wanted to try. so at the club that they were doing the shoot at anyone could go and practice at the same range so the members didn't have an advantage.
one thing i left out is each shot cost 10 dollars and the money is paid out at the end of the shoot to about the top 10 or so shooters. the biggest one so far had 79 shots fired and was a memorial shoot for one of the founding members of the club. there was also 200 dollars extra prize money, so a total purse of about 990 dollars. the guy that won made 230 bucks for 1st. 170 for 2nd. after people shoot they stand around and talk guns , hunting, that darn wind and everything else. been alot of fun. been thinking on a ar only shoot 100 and 200 yard 5 shot group,would be interesting i think. ce61

I like shooting water bottles, gallons, soda etc at longer distances. Also rocks make good targets, but agreed nothing comes close to shooting jack rabbits!

Casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom