Shiras moose help

wysongdog

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone had some on the hoof Alive pictures of big moose so I can see exactly what I’m looking for. Having a hard time figuring out how wide the bulls I’m seeing are, etc….
Thanks for the help

The euro mount is 36”, which was average size for the unit. The live bull looks similar, but it is not same bull. I suspect the live bull is bigger. Both of these bulls have double brow tines, which I was told is a good thing to look for.

20170923_080700_Original.jpeg

20180120_132932-EFFECTS_Original.jpeg

Width doesn’t mean much, my brother shot a book bull last year that was 36” wide and I shot a 2 yr old once year in MT that was 35” wide and was absolutely tiny. If the pans pitch out and you throw a long tine on them they can get wide in a hurry. Score comes from a few factors, but wide palms and long palms usually win. You measure from the crotch of the furthest point out on a brow time to the top notch between the highest two, so a single brow is a HUGE negative if you’re worried about score since it cuts your paddle length by 7-12” in a hurry. Point length means nothing unless it helps width, but numbers of points helps. Just look for one that’s pretty and looks like a bull moose and you’ll be happy with.

I'd be more concerned about palm length and points than spread but hey I've only taken 33-36 inch bulls, lol.
Good luck !!!!

Looking at one head on, the distance between the outside of the eyeballs is roughly 10" on an AK moose. I'd guess its about 9" on a shiras?

There is a free app called Moose Gauge that works pretty well.

Good luck on your hunt!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom