salt lake city corporation land??

S

sk

Looking at the antlerless elk hunt for the east canyon, salt lake unit.....my plat map shows alot of the land is salt lake city corporation land, and i am not talking COUNTY land, some of that is mixed in areas as well.

what gives, anyone know if this land is open to the public to hunt? im guessing no because if you look at their information about this unit it warns there is a lot of private land....there is and there isn't but hunting that would be a major bonus...i also need to find out the firearms laws for hunting salt lake and bountiful county areas.

i've got enough points to go many other places, i just know where the elk go in this area

any info you guys might have is appreciated, thanks.

Which antlerless one are you talking about. One of the East Canyon tags, summit down towards SLC is very open. The other one is almost all closed off via private land.

sled_guy

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-12 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]>Which antlerless one are you talking
>about. One of the
>East Canyon tags, summit down
>towards SLC is very open.
> The other one is
>almost all closed off via
>private land.
>
>sled_guy

I'm talking about the section north of I-80 all the way to I-84, it's called east canyon salt lake or davis or something like that....tons of people hunt the area during the extended, but I am not one to trespass, so either you can legally hunt the salt lake city corporation land, or people have permission, are trespassing and dont know it, OR my plat is wrong

All the land up East Canyon to the summit by Big Mountain and then West is public except the East Canyon Resort stuff and the private over in Immigration... the BLM maps show it really well. But it is all watershed so it has some rules about horse use and such.

sled_guy

i talked to the dnr officer for the area, it is salt lake city corp land, but open to hunting with a few restricted areas such as some of the ones you mentioned.

on a side note, he said people have been hunting red butte just east of the fence which most of that minus a really tiny area is still part of red butte and off limits (not quite depicted that way on the utah dnr boundary maps it makes it look like it isn't part of red butte, but it is). they didn't realize how many people were up their rifle hunting and without any orange until last year and will be out there this season looking for people hunting illegally.

so know what's legal and what isnt, it's not worth it...

Don't rely on the DNR maps... go to the BLM office and get the BLM maps, they are very accurate and show what type of land ownership is in the area.

Red Butte doesn't go very far up... I'll did out my BLM map and take a look. I don't go in that way but I know a lot of people do.

sled_guy

the fenced part of red butte doesn't go up very far, and it does look like it ends about halfway up the canyon, but I am being told otherwise by the DNR, they really need to clarify it better on the maps

Red Butte is closed to all public access from the top of the
south ridge to the top of the north ridge and from the locked gate at the bottom of the canyon all the way to the back of the canyon. However, there are hunters in there every year.

tagalong is correct...Red Butte Gardens(U of U property) is much more than just the gardens and includes the entire drainage. Hunters have been trespassing more every year and the RBG admins are fed up. So they installed more cameras last year and will be very aggressive about prosecution this year.

The DWR maps are only for general reference and they don't need to provide better than that. Plenty of detailed maps are already available.

>tagalong is correct...Red Butte Gardens(U of
>U property) is much more
>than just the gardens and
>includes the entire drainage.
>Hunters have been trespassing more
>every year and the RBG
>admins are fed up.
>So they installed more cameras
>last year and will be
>very aggressive about prosecution this
>year.
>
>The DWR maps are only for
>general reference and they don't
>need to provide better than
>that. Plenty of detailed
>maps are already available.

Finn, I agree there are plenty of detailed maps available...however, if you are joe schmoe who doesn't put the effort he should into knowing where he can and can't hunt....the DWR map of the area has only the bottom red butte portion shaded. All I am saying is I could see how someone might mistake that to mean you can hunt above it outside the shaded area. Again, still not the DWRs responsiblity it is on the hunter, but it may be a simple way to help stop at least some of the idiots that hunt it. That's all.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom