Riflescope clicks = perfect?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Assuming you buy a decent rifle scope, like a $400-$500 leupold or Nikon, how often are the clicks exactly as claimed?

What I mean is if it says 1/4" ay 100 yards per foot, do you move it 12 clicks and get exactly 3" at 100 yards? If yes with the first shot or does it take a shot or two to "settle" in?

It always seems to me that it takes 1/2 teh clicks it should - meaning I need to make less adjustment.

To take it one step further what are the best scopes - which ones work best at this? To take it one step further I am looking ahead to get custom turrets for a rifle scope for long range shooting. If I understand how they work correctly your scope must work exactly as it should - meaning it must be exactl 1/4" per click at 100 yards or the custom turrets are useless right?

Last year I purchased a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40mm. After a bore sight job when it was mounted, I went to the range. It was 12 inches high so I turned it down 48 clicks. It was spot on. I was more than a little amazed. It is a CDS scope and the CDS has worked better than I could have ever dreamed. I have shot out to 800 yards at local ranges and the CDS is amazing. At one range session I shot 800, then 200, the 400 and then back to 200, turning the CDS each time. It worked like a chap and returned to zero perfectly.

I was significantly impressed so I bought the same scope for my other rifle. I gave a way the Nikon scope that was on that rifle. I had the same thing with the second scope. Once mounted, I went to the range. I was 15 inches off this time. 60 clicks later and the scope is on the money. I have had the same results with the CDS on this rifle as the first.

Hope that helps.

Most rifle scopes are 1/4 inch per click. Yet there is some scopes that are 1/2 inch per click and that may be the reason it took you only half as much clicks to move the shot 3 inches.
I have found with the Leupold and Nikon scopes they are positive in their movements and do not need to "settle in" after adjustment.

RELH

If your looking to get custom turrets both nikon (spot on technology) and vortex offers good reliable tracking scopes. Vortex has their new Vortex Viper HSLR series that already have adjustment knobs for elevation. You can order "custom" turrets for your exact load from both companies. I have been doing a ton of research as I want to start getting into long range shooting......the three scopes that I have been looking at are the Vortex viper HSLR 4-16x50 BDC reticle, Vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ebr-1 moa reticle, and the Nightforce 5.5-22x50 g7. There are tons of other options out there that offer awesome long range scopes with adjustable turrets most are pretty dang expensive. SWFA, Zeiss, Sightron....do some research and figure out which scopes meet your needs.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]You wil need to be out far enough to see the tracking error, like 600 yards. Few $500 scopes will have clicks dead on at distances greater than that. The rifle also needs to group well enough to see the error and that may render the tracking issue moot. The long range guys are using $1000 scopes on the low end, ie vortex and leupold. A lot depends on how far you intend to shoot. I went Leupold because I don't see shooting a critter at more than 6-700 and steel at 1000.

On another note, you can make your own yardage turrets with a printer and sticky labels. Depending on the laser some of these guys use, your own will be more accurate. My lasered turret lines up at zero, 1/2 click off at 10 moa and back on at 20 moa.

I shoot long range, and I have bought six leupold vari-x 3 8.5x25s in the last six months. This is about a $900 scope. I set up one of those drywall tee squares that read 48" at 100 yards. I strap my rifle to a rest and put the cross hairs on "0". Turn your scope up, while counting the clicks. True MOA will be 152.8 clicks in 40 inches. I did one saturday, and it was nearly perfect at 153 clicks. On one of my other rifles, it takes 147 clicks. Others, are 148 and 149. If your just hunting and shooting under 500 yards none of this means much. But at 1,000 yards at 147 clicks, I will shoot 18" high. So, you come up with a formula. For 147 clicks, I times my MOA by .959 and then I come up with the right MOA needed. But, you should check all your scopes to see, they are all different, even the same identical scopes will be different.

Yopu can ask Browtine about 'Clicks'!:D

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

I have been sure of the 1/4" per click and correct math for different distances etc (I am an engineer - not bragging just saying I know to move 3" at 25 yards you need 48 clicks: most guys on the range think that is was to much and move 8 clicks and wonder why no visible change!). And accuracy was good enough to tell.

I never kept a great record but several times I swear it seemed to much - wind and my aiming errors did have some effect too.

Good to know you guys have had good luck.

>Nightforce!
>
>Zeke

Second that. Why not just figure your drop by yourself at the range with a good load for your rifle? Its easy.

True BUT in Ohio a 200 yard range is very rare. I have never seen any range beyond 200. I am sure they exist.

Also it will vary as you change loads, and zero range.

I hate the idea of judging 10" - 20" holdover on game far away - from elk to lope is a huge difference and hard to judge. I would very rarely use it but when needed it is a good option to have.

Sight in at 200, shoot it thru somebody's chrono at the range, then make your own yardage turret tape on your printer. You will be at an inherent disadvantage because you can't verify your drops at 600+ so you'll want to look for a pvt range somewhere where you can do that. Once done you will only need to worry about variations from temp and pressure. Not a real big deal under 500.

Range it, dial it, shoot it.

I used an MOA turret and software on my phone this year and it's a pain in the a$$.

Good idea, never really thought about it but all I need to know is how many clicks to move, no need for paying for that, especially since it will change with ammo and a different zero etc.

Great idea!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom