Rifle Review - Fierce Twisted Rival FP

huntingdad

Here's the result of 9 months of testing my Fierce Rival 300 PRC. Ran 6 separate tests with 55 groups, and about 170 rounds. These tests included 2 different bullets (200 gr Barnes LRX, 210 Nosler Accubond LR), 2 powders (H1000, Retumbo), a seating depth analysis, and a lot of other things. Here are the results:

# of Groups Under 1 inch: 6 of 66
# Average Group Size: 1.40"

This was so weird and frustrating since Fierce sent me a target showing a 0.244" group.

I eventually realized something interesting about some of those groups. Check it out:

Interested in your feedback.

It looks like your journey is similar to mine. I spent a bit of time burning powder and projectiles in an effort to get my 300 PRC to shoot decently. I want to say I even loaded and shot the same amount of rounds as you (around 160 or so).

I also tried the same powders, H1000 and Retumbo with no luck.

In the end, I had my gunsmith spin on a new CF barrel and it shoots under half MOA at 1K yards with N570 and Berger 215 hybrids.

The horizontal and vertical stringing you are experiencing with the heat deviation of that barrel is a bit extreme for my liking. I feel your frustration, man. Thanks for putting together that video. 9 months is a long time to test only to end up with an unsatisfactory result. Powder and primers these days are $$$

Also, that rusting and pitting of the chamber is not cool coming out of the factory.

Apologies if I missed this detail in your video, but did Fierce share with you some of the load data to produce that spectacular group at their facility? I know for legal reasons they can't disclose the charge weight or even the seating depth, however the powder and projectile used would help.

Wow...can't see what more you could've done.. I believe you were very thorough in all that testing.. The way that gun shoots you'd do just as well buying a nice go wild Ruger off the shelf...

It looks like your journey is similar to mine. I spent a bit of time burning powder and projectiles in an effort to get my 300 PRC to shoot decently. I want to say I even loaded and shot the same amount of rounds as you (around 160 or so).

I also tried the same powders, H1000 and Retumbo with no luck.

In the end, I had my gunsmith spin on a new CF barrel and it shoots under half MOA at 1K yards with N570 and Berger 215 hybrids.

The horizontal and vertical stringing you are experiencing with the heat deviation of that barrel is a bit extreme for my liking. I feel your frustration, man. Thanks for putting together that video. 9 months is a long time to test only to end up with an unsatisfactory result. Powder and primers these days are $$$

Also, that rusting and pitting of the chamber is not cool coming out of the factory.

Apologies if I missed this detail in your video, but did Fierce share with you some of the load data to produce that spectacular group at their facility? I know for legal reasons they can't disclose the charge weight or even the seating depth, however the powder and projectile used would help.
Thanks for the comment. Were you shooting a Fierce as well?

Fierce used the same factory load that I finally used in the video: Hornady Precision Hunter (212 gr ELD-X). But I'm pretty sure that I could have gotten either of my bullet/powder combos to shoot the same as the factory cartridges if I'd let the barrel cool down the same way.

Really wanted this gun to do well! So disappointing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment. Were you shooting a Fierce as well?
You're welcome. I am shooting a Christensen Arms MPR. From what I have been reading on the forums, they frustratingly seem to be hit or miss as well. Purchased it at a steep discount because it came with the not-so-popular steel barrel (versus the common carbon fiber wrapped model).

Looks like we both went through the same learning process :D

You're welcome. I am shooting a Christensen Arms MPR. From what I have been reading on the forums, they frustratingly seem to be hit or miss as well. Purchased it at a steep discount because it came with the not-so-popular steel barrel (versus the common carbon fiber wrapped model).

Looks like we both went through the same learning process :D
Interesting! Fierce split off from Christensen. You had trouble with the steel barrel too. Wonder if crappy processes from Christensen were borrowed by Fierce.

FYI: Had a friend suggest that the pits I saw in my barrel are related to the extreme sensitivity to temperature. I don't know enough about metallurgy to comment on that, but it sounds plausible.

Interesting! Fierce split off from Christensen. You had trouble with the steel barrel too. Wonder if crappy processes from Christensen were borrowed by Fierce.

FYI: Had a friend suggest that the pits I saw in my barrel are related to the extreme sensitivity to temperature. I don't know enough about metallurgy to comment on that, but it sounds plausible.
Yeah, the steel barrel was not my friend. lol I think they both got caught up trying to fill their dealers with stock and several rifles escaped from their Q&A team.

It's unfortunate to see pitting on a new chamber :(

That's very disappointing to hear. I've seen one individual have real issues with a brand new fierce, but I kinda figured it might have just been user error. Now watching this I wonder If he might actually be dealing with a faulty rifle. They are a premium price rifle, shame to see the faulty quality here.

If any of you have a rifle chambered in a cartridge that runs hot (like 300 PRC) please share your experience with precision and how it is affected by temperature. How many shots do you typically get (with a 30-second rest between shots) before shots start to wander? Since this is my first experience with a 300 PRC, I'm wondering if the problem is more common than I expected.

Thanks!

In a quality, stress relieved steel barrel that is truly free floated, shouldn’t get any real POI change. If you’ve got any barrel channel contact that would be something to address. Beyond that might just be a crappy barrel. I shoot some of my factory tikkas until they’re too hot to touch and groups/POI do not change.

I see the comparisons with the steel barrel & similar results.

However, I’m personally in the camp of the caliber simply being extremely picky.

I own a Christensen FFT in 300PRC with a carbon barrel & in my opinion it is a beautiful “paperweight” that just takes up space in my gun case.

As Broadhead can attest, as he was with me during several ammo testing sessions, I gave up on the rifle after having gone completely through it multiple times, replacing the scope / rings & at least 6 different bullet, weight & loads. I bought the rifle for an elk hunt last year & set it in the corner & went with my 300WSM instead. It’s going on roughly 9 months now, so I don’t have factual data, but I recall shooting a 3” group at 200 yards as being about as good as it got.

If anyone has the patience to take on a headache, I’m willing to let it go for an extremely fair price minus the scope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom