Retrieving Your Game

B

BOBBYDEMAN

Thank goodness for snow and a downhill pull! Effortlessly tugging the rope, my toboggan slid as though it were self-propelled. Ankle-deep, the powdery white stuff was a blessing. Fortuitous indeed, I'd brought my sled and it's a good thing. Not long before, I'd been hiding in my blind. Overcast skies kept things dark for a few minutes longer than usual. As daylight finally illuminated my surroundings I heard the welcome sounds of a buck grunting in the trees nearby. This would be my last deer hunt of the season. I'd decided to take the first deer that presented a shot. As it turned out, a doe emerged from the trees and stood motionless 75 yards away. Taking careful aim with my .50 cal. T/C I squeezed. A thunderous boom broke the morning silence and the billow of smoke lingered for a few seconds. Then, as I stuffed another sabot down the pipe, the buck emerged from the woods and stood in the same spot. With two tags in my pocket there was no deciding. Playing out the scenario one more time, I was rewarded with not one, but two blackpowder deer for my efforts. With the fun part done, I was then faced with moving 400 pounds of deer to my truck. Relieved that I'd brought my sled, both deer were loaded and easily pulled several hundred yards to my vehicle. Although not the be-all or end-all, the sled made retrieval a piece of cake.

I have used an ice fishing sled for years.
Works great even with out snow. For the long up hill pulls I use my rope winch on my power saw. Sure saves the hide when you are going to mount it.

I stuff a piece of Tyvek with grommets along the edges in my daypack when hunting in the snow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom