Researching for 2013

Magicman

I realize that 2013 is not here yet, but the planning is. I burned my 16 Colorado PP's on a successful Area 61 hunt this year, so now on to next year.

My Son Marty, who is my hunting partner has 10 Colorado PP's. That puts him in "no man's land" as far as drawing an area such as 61, and it eliminates any possibility for me to accompany him on such a hunt anyway since I will be 70 years old next Fall.

That leaves us with the decision to burn those points in 2013 on a hunt in a "lesser" area. It also gives me the opportunity to accompany him while I am still physically able.

We are looking at a possible ML hunt or either a 1st Rifle hunt in an area that will virtually guarantee him a draw in 2013.

Presently, we are researching either a ML or 1st Rifle hunt in Area 49 or a ML hunt in Area 67. Any input or suggestions??

So what are you looking for? Chance to be together and find some elk, maybe a big bull? Etc. Really there are tons of units that have 1st season tags that can be had second choice and allow him to keep building PP. He is far enough in that if he burns now he may never catch up with any good units. As it stands he has a chance. There are several units that are not known as great elk units, but still hold elk. These units typically see lower pressure and allow a person to really hunt. However with the elk herds meeting objectives in many areas it is limiting the number of licenses available.

Have you considered a cow tag for ML? They are easier to get and allow you to keep points. You can get said tags in units you are interested in and do a research hunt. While cow hunting you can determine if you find a unit worth 10 points... Of course you could always just hunt an OTC bull tag for 2nd season. A lot of good bulls to be had in OTC units. This year I saw 3 bulls that would score over 300 in general units and one that would have been 350ish if his one side wasn't a club.

It would allow you the ability to hunt and him still keep his points. While success with OTC tags can vary if you find and area and get to know it well you can have some really good hunts...

You could also just go pay for a landowner tag or a Ranching for wildlife tag...

Like elks96 said, have him keep the points and hunt a second choice unit or a OTC unit. there are units he can apply for where his name is thrown into a hat when you have more than 5 points.... he can do that and put another unit down as a 2nd choice...
He has too many points to just use them on 2-5 point hunts. I am in the same boat and will be keeping mine. They are too valuable to JUST burn...
I hunt every year on OTC and leftover units. Have got some nice bulls 250-270 type... while building points.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Hey elks96 you didnt happen to see that bull with the club in 61? I saw a bull just like that in 61 this fall. Was the club on the right side?

No its is a different unit. I am actually pretty certain he lived all seasons. I found him 3rd season in a hell hole and as far as I know no one killed him. I am hoping to find him archery season next year....

I appreciate and value all of the responses and suggestions that have been offered.

After reading some of the responses, I must add that there are personal reasons that I am not comfortable discussing on an open forum about why Marty has chosen to use his 10 points next year.

This will be a once in a lifetime hunt for him, and after much time spent looking at maps and reading the responses and PM's that I have gotten, he is leaning heavily toward a 1st rifle area 49 hunt.

Any information that anyone chooses to share with us, either on the open forum or by PM, will be appreciated.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom